Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scarier still, that figure is slightly down from the day before. Definitely looks like something is going wrong in Spain unless it's an issue with how they record figures and are playing a huge catch up game.
They've just had their worst snowfall for 40 years in a good chunk of the country, and it was the coldest night for many thereafter, so everyone is indoors, guess where it spreads most ?

They've just had their worst snowfall for 40 years in a good chunk of the country, and it was the coldest night for many thereafter, so everyone is indoors, guess where it spreads most ?

I did consider that, but then the major snowfall was only 5 days ago so it's pretty quick for infections to start rocketing so soon afterwards? Don't know yet, Spain have been strange with their reporting of figures for quite some time which makes it difficult to second guess. Could be the uk variant, could be people having spent extended time indoors with family like you say or could be something else entirely, but they're not heading in a good direction when elsewhere in Europe have mainly (but not all) managed to maintain reasonable levels in comparison to the UK and Ireland.

only after meeting in large groups to chuck snowballs and build snowmen before taking Covid home with them, judging by people here today.

I did consider that, but then the major snowfall was only 5 days ago so it's pretty quick for infections to start rocketing so soon afterwards? Don't know yet, Spain have been strange with their reporting of figures for quite some time which makes it difficult to second guess. Could be the uk variant, could be people having spent extended time indoors with family like you say or could be something else entirely, but they're not heading in a good direction when elsewhere in Europe have mainly (but not all) managed to maintain reasonable levels in comparison to the UK and Ireland.
You can add christmas and new year in there too, so maybe a combination.

Germany is doing better than here cases wise but it's not great, and their "deaths" are similar to ours despite the lower cases generally, but their tests are also half ours overall, Spain's "tests" are only just over 1/3 of ours overall, so again we need to be careful with the data we all suck up.

Little worrying that in the past few weeks there have been new strains found in:

UK
South Africa
Japan
Brazil
US (Ohio)

Not exactly the closest locations. I know viruses mutate and all that but I can't shake the fear a new strain will develop that the vaccine is ineffective for, or it becomes more deadly.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Spain is an odd one as they had a really strict lockdown. Masks worn everywhere, curfews, one person allows to shop in a household, no leaving the house except for work, to buy food or medical supplies, empty your bin or take the dog for a dump. I have friends in Tenerife and even over the Christmas and New Year the curfew was 10-6 and only terraces in bars open and at 50% capacity. They have just relaxed the curfew to 11-6 and inside bars allowed to open up to 50% capacity.

Short of locking people indoors 24/7 forever I don't see how you stop this spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.