Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spain is an odd one as they had a really strict lockdown. Masks worn everywhere, curfews, one person allows to shop in a household, no leaving the house except for work, to buy food or medical supplies, empty your bin or take the dog for a dump. I have friends in Tenerife and even over the Christmas and New Year the curfew was 10-6 and only terraces in bars open and at 50% capacity. They have just relaxed the curfew to 11-6 and inside bars allowed to open up to 50% capacity.

Short of locking people indoors 24/7 forever I don't see how you stop this spreading.
You close all borders.

I'm sometimes confused by the messaging to stay at home but then the idea that covid spreads more in cold weather because we all stay in. I'm clearly not as smart as my mother thinks

Little worrying that in the past few weeks there have been new strains found in:

UK
South Africa
Japan
Brazil
US (Ohio)

Not exactly the closest locations. I know viruses mutate and all that but I can't shake the fear a new strain will develop that the vaccine is ineffective for, or it becomes more deadly.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
So far the mutations tested haven’t included the protein changing enough for the vaccines to not lock into the virus.

So it’s so far so good but a guy that worked on the Oxford vaccine said it would only take around 4-6 weeks, 6 weeks being the absolute most, to alter the vaccine to fit a new protein, the hard bit has been done.

So long term we are alright unless the virus completely changes to a new virus.

I'm sometimes confused by the messaging to stay at home but then the idea that covid spreads more in cold weather because we all stay in. I'm clearly not as smart as my mother thinks
My thought exactly. Spain are doing badly cos it’s snowing and everyone is indoors, but surely that prevents the spread?

Little worrying that in the past few weeks there have been new strains found in:

UK
South Africa
Japan
Brazil
US (Ohio)

Not exactly the closest locations. I know viruses mutate and all that but I can't shake the fear a new strain will develop that the vaccine is ineffective for, or it becomes more deadly.

Hope everyone is staying safe.
The Japanese strain is the Brazilian Strain.
Just viruses doing what viruses do. Mutate.
The new mRNA and Vector virus technologies can be retargetted in a couple of months. A huge advance in medical technology.

You close all borders.

Absolutely spot in. It still amazes me how easy it is for people to travel throughout the world. Complaining about the financial cost of shutting all borders is crazy when we see the damage this thing is doing and how it's dragging out. Should have been done last January, and if not then definitely by March. Can't believe so much free travel is still allowed 10 months down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.