#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Liverpool fan here. Can't say i've seen much football outside our games this season but watching Cancelo/Silva on Sunday vs Arsenal was interesting, he's all over the pitch and playing such a mad role whenever i've seen him play.

Pretty much a back 3 without the ball, he'd be pushed into central midfield overloading their midfield, or wide and quite often Silva dropping in to cover for him. Surely Silva is too good for that? but he seemed to allow Cancelo a licence to roam and popping up where Arsenal least expected it. Maybe its different when Rhodri is playing and he covers.

Very similar to how Wijnaldum/Henderson covers Trent/Robertson for us effectively the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if your analyse has picked it up from our playbook, much like how we adapted our game after your 100 point season. Getting our full backs higher was the main difference. Looks like you've tweaked it to something even better.

I think teams are going to continue to struggle to deal with him as he grows into the team/league. The change in the fullback role over the last 10-15 years is mad and Cancelo is the next step in redefining the role.

Fuck me, Dippers collapse and disappear off here, hide from their own threads, don't have the humility and human decency to come admit they're cunts and failed this season and have been shit for a year and then come along into a player thread and try to claim we're only back playing well because Pep "nicked" an idea off Klopp that never existed in the first place.

Hello Liverpool fan here. Can't say i've seen much football outside our games this season but watching Cancelo/Silva on Sunday vs Arsenal was interesting, he's all over the pitch and playing such a mad role whenever i've seen him play.

Pretty much a back 3 without the ball, he'd be pushed into central midfield overloading their midfield, or wide and quite often Silva dropping in to cover for him. Surely Silva is too good for that? but he seemed to allow Cancelo a licence to roam and popping up where Arsenal least expected it. Maybe its different when Rhodri is playing and he covers.

Very similar to how Wijnaldum/Henderson covers Trent/Robertson for us effectively the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if your analyse has picked it up from our playbook, much like how we adapted our game after your 100 point season. Getting our full backs higher was the main difference. Looks like you've tweaked it to something even better.

I think teams are going to continue to struggle to deal with him as he grows into the team/league. The change in the fullback role over the last 10-15 years is mad and Cancelo is the next step in redefining the role.
What bollocks

I'll bench him for the next game personally. Needs to get his rest. Can't overplay him and get him injured or fatigued.
I'd give Walker another game just because I feel it's been a while he played twice in a row, and then Zinchenko left back.

But unlike when Zinchenko plays with Cancelo where he sits back and Cancelo goes forward, now with Walker, Zinchenko should have that freedom.

Hes not going to be as good as Cancelo, but its smart to give him these chances here and there to see if he is an option for this role in the future.

What a player he is ! those two crosses were majestic the way he sees Bernardo free to recieve those balls is amazing that is a world class vision , i don't know about you guys but i think this lad is the best right back in the world.

Ha ha really? Aren't you guys just lobbing it up to Salah and Mane to chase still?

I think Cancelo will redefine his position in the same way that "the Makelele role" became a thing.
I honestly dont know any other player who can do what he can out of the "full back position" yes theres been had full backs whove bombed down wings, Marcelo, Robby Carlos, even that nutcase weve got before his leg crumbled under the weight of his twitter likes, but noone I can remember has merged a right back, a right winger and a deep lying play maker (possibly Lahm)....
Wonder how long it will take before we here a young manager (or lunatic of a pundit..probably in scouse accent) say "they need someone in the Cancelo role" and that term will be as common as the words "Oh hold on a minute VAR is looking at something here"

I might catch some flak for this, but I see where you're coming from. There are some similarities in the way Cancelo and TAA plays. I have seen TAA drift in the middle sometimes and being given the freedom to play like a playmaker.

However, I highly disagree Pep 'picked it up' from Klopp. Pep has been toying with the inverted full back since Bayern. Cancelo is just the 'next evolution' of this role. If anything, there's a higher likelihood Klopp picked it off Pep back in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.