#2 | Kyle Walker - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ever,awesome athletically,but so one dimensional and predictable in his approach,his technical ability limits our play enormously.

He's got eight trophies in three seasons with us so far, playing over 40 games each time. He was also one of our best players this time around until he picked up an injury.

I think you go pretty over the top with your criticisms of our players.

I'd say he has been an absolutely huge part of our transformation since the oldies left after Pep's first season and the fact that he's one of the very best one on one defenders on the planet means that whoever is playing on the wing in front of him has more attacking freedom.

Last edited:
Suffering massively because Cancelo has finally got to grips with things and is so technically advanced it makes Walker look like a pub player.

He is still the same, very dependable and physical monster of a RB that most of Europe has no answer to. He might come unstuck every so often but every player makes mistakes, no better pair of RBs in the world than Cancelo and Walker. End of.

Showed Thuram within 2 minutes of coming on that he will not get any joy trying to dribble past him.

Must be so demoralising as a winger trying to take him on for the first time and just getting bullied by his pace and strength.

Touch wood he hasn't had any brainfarts recently and will keep it up for the rest of the season.
I thought exactly the same. Thuram was unseen after that! :)

In my book Walker's technical standards are not good enough - BUT, I think he has adapted his game in the way that he minimizes his weaknesses:
he releases the ball quickly to our great mid distributors,
he plays as simple as possible to avoid stupid mistakes
and some runs down the flank without end product are still good enough to give the opponent some more threats to deal with.

In comparison Raheem doesn't improve neither his poor ball control nor his super slow decision making and as a consequence his confidence seems to be quite down.

Kyle has accepted he isn't the best baller but that he's able to offer enormous physical and psychological strenghts.

Wish Raheem would take a similar route by releasing the ball quicker and using his outstanding pace to attack the near and far post more aggressively to put in easy balls.

As an out and out defender he's brilliant. Going forward, not the best, but he can run the ball out of defence which helps us transition. He's also very good at recovering when our forward play breaks down, and his positional play was outstanding last night.

The only downside to his performance last night was the couple of times he over ran the ball and ended putting us on the back foot. If he could just work on his close control going forward, he'd be a world beater.

walker is fucking brilliant, when we need a proper rb walker is the best in the prem imo, when we need a kinky, ali b, type rb cancelo is the man, perfect mixture
Something you could never imagine saying 20 years ago.

I think the comparisons to Cancelo are a little odd because Pep has rightly noticed their different qualities and has them play different roles.

Walker's role is actually more similar to Zinchenko, and while Zinchenko has definitely improved, Walker is the better defender. Yes, Zinchenko is the better passer, but that's the tradeoff, each brings something to that defensive fullback position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.