Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC coverage in most areas is dreadful these days. I quite like cricket, when I remember to watch it but the news coverage at lunch left me with more questions than answers. It amounted to, Joe Root took 5 wickets as India collapsed, but England's batting performance was even worse. There was no mention of whether there was a second innings to come, or the overall score in the series. I had to check online afterwards. The Beeb has fallen a long way.
Most people groaned when Sky and Channel 5 outbid the BBC for live cricket. I dont have Sky but l dont need it to tell how much the BBC has declined.

Just had to turn bt sports off. Even when we are not playing that sly **** Ian darke is at it. Talking about Otamendi and that he was part of the deal for Dias, but he couldn’t help adding “mind you there was a whole load of cash in addition”, at which the summariser added that we can spend what we want on players. Utter CUNTS. We should have spent an extra 20 or 30 million and got Harry the perjurer, whose price tag doesn’t of course get mentioned
I would describe £45m plus Otamendi for Dias as the deal of the decade. What do you think Dias will be worth at the end of this season as one of the best defenders in the world. Looks like we have doubled our money again on one of our players. To get Cancelo for £60m is also brilliant business.

Last edited:
What a fucking prick that Dunn is
If he knew it was going to be the "usual" answer, why did he ask such a boring and inane question

Expecting the usual stuff about focus, character, spirit, attitude, belief, or whatever, we were all taken a little bit aback by his blunt response'

You got a blunt response because it's the same fucking boring questions
All the questions were pretty lame as are the clowns who ask them.
Pep should have added 'as you reporters keep printing or something similar.

‘Bloodless wins’ sound good to me and something Liverpool should seriously consider adopting.
That bitter article suggests Dunn is still smarting after being made to look like a fool in the press conference. He lists our players but fails to mention we sold Danilo for a profit and all the others (bar Mendy) have hugely increased in value.

I would describe £45m plus Otamendi for Dias as the deal of the decade. What do you think Dias will be worth at the end of this season as one of the best defenders in the world. Looks like we have doubled our money again on one of our players. To get Cancelo for £60m is also brilliant business.
Danilo, whose real value was £15m went to Juventus for £33m and cancelo came to us for £60m
So in fact Cancelo was substantially less than £60m

For any lurking hacks, here’s an idea for an article ...start with a headline along the lines of ‘How Much Does a Trophy Cost?’
You can then do a formula for all of the ‘Big 6’ teams of the previous 10 years spend divided by the number trophies won. This will then give you a figure for cost per trophy. Then print a league table for which team gets best value for their money.
And my guess is, City will romp that league table too.

It's about time we stopped feeling sensitive about the club's spending. Pep is not taking the piss at all, he is simply pointing out that one of the reasons explaining our phenomenal success over the last ten years has been our ability to identify players who will really help create a great team and buy them within budget. This is not to deny that the most important reason is Pep himself, but he's far to modest ever to mention that. I've read the report on our game on the BBC an that is the kind of eulogy that seems to be increasingly common, but the comments are full of the FFP and "cheats" comments that are the sole refuge of the bitter and alienated. No longer should we go on the defensive. We have taken UEFA's "rules" in our stride, conformed and coped with them far, far better than the financially challenged establishment ( has even UEFA managed to get any accounts signed off yet?). The CAS hearing found we hadn't breached any rules and, in fact, those who claimed we had had no evidence at all, never mind any "valid" evidence. So I think we should certainly not be embarrassed but should point out that we have spent "our own money" and got full value for it. None wasted on players who haven't lived up to billing. And if anyone wants to check on that they'll find IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE players in each position who were more expensive than our lads. That's what a decade of financial prudence CAN achieve.
Agreed having money to spend brings it's own pressure and expectations. City have spent a lot of money. Most of it spent well.
I think that Pep is being modest about the coaching when he mentions the money.

The comments on the piece are good tho' there's the usual "petrodollar" trolling, but some balanced posts as well. I get the feeling that, outside of the expected neanderthals, normal followers of the game understand that all money does is buy you the opportunity to be great. Being great takes a hell of a lot more.
Still need a Plan B ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.