Rodri
Cancelo
Gundogan
Zinc
Stones
Bernardo
Mahrez
Are all performing at a much higher level than last season

Phil has really matured and kicked on this season too, would put that down to more consistent game time and the natural progression of a generational talent rather than him being an “improved player”

Last edited:
The truth is Pep has been masterful.
I don’t know what he has done exactly but he has managed to turn some ordinary to decent players, into vital cogs in our system this year.
Cancelo
Rodri
Zinc
Gundo
Jesus

All know exactly what they are doing this season.

Add Foden to the list and Sterling and Bernardo and the fact we have three CB’s that know how to defend now and it adds up to, regardless of Aguero or Kev missing or Fernandinho, we have a cohesive team unit that is greater than the sum of it’s parts.

That’s the real beauty of this season. From a slow start Pep has managed this unusual season perfectly so far. I still think the extra 21 games for a perfect 4 trophy season is almost impossible to manage. You would need a lot of luck also.
But this squad is looking like any combination of players can work.
If it isn’t working we have people on the bench who can change things.

We haven’t relied on any one player. They are all taking their turns to shine.

For me, none more so than Pep.

John Stones for me. Genuinely didn't think he had the bollocks to turn things around. I don't think it's fair to say it's all down to Dias, It's not. In a lot of games Stones has just been as good if not better.

Cancelo, We all knew what he could offer it was all about producing it in a different league. Now he's the best full back/inverted full back in Europe.

Plenty of candidates for most improved — I’d go with Zink because my/our expectations were low and now I don’t think of him as second choice but rotating first choice just like most of the rest — but one thing I’ve really noticed is the camaraderie. When we score, our subs warming up are first in the mix with the hugs. There’s an immediate point and hug to the assistor. I agree with City Content that Stones and Dias MUST be shagging. Every time we score it’s celebrated as if we just won a Cup final. The cohesiveness is amazing. Granted it’s easy for morale to be up given the streak we’re on but it’s really noticeable how together the boys are relative even to a few seasons ago.

Cancelo and Rodri. Many other players have also improved like Bernardo, Gundogan, but in most of those cases, it's a return to form. So current performance matches expectations. With Cancelo and Rodri, it's an improvement and an unexpected surprise because that jump in performance has been so huge. I don't think many people thought Rodri would become so good only after a season that we would stop talking about a Dinho successor. And I don't have words to describe Cancelo - the guy was created in a lab.

Cancelo. Hands down.

Or, is it hands up?!

0134C451-84F6-4853-9F45-6D5900FE0EDB.jpeg

Used to see this numerous times every game, but he’s got his head down and is doing considerably better. If he could just not lose the ball quite so often, he would be a revelation.

I could name a few players this season have shown a great improvement over last season's, Cancelo was adapting to Peps system, Zinchenko just needed to find his feet. It has to be Stones for the most improved player, I thought his time at City was done and dusted, but man oh man he is a different breed all together this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.