Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

Whats the first image got to do with it? The offside is taken from when it flicks off bernies head isnt it?
apparently not anymore it's when the ball hits his head now. It used to be after it flicks off but now it's upon impact

I think (but I'm not entirely sure) the sleeve and arm diagram might be clarification introduced by our own footballing bodies (not FIFA).

But whilst we've now pretty much redrafted the whole offside law for the benefit of football, I would be happy to see added that VAR should only be used for incidents in the penalty area. Linesman's decision should be used elsewhere, as any marginal mistakes further up the pitch should be recoverable by good defending, and do not constitute an attacker gaining an unfair advantage. This would be sympathetic with the original intention of the offside law, as has been mentioned in this debate.

*Edit to say having read the link on @SWP's back 's previous post, it is an IFAB clarification.

Also to say the diagram has nothing to do with a player's shirt sleeve. It represents the arm, whatever shirt is worn.

Last edited:
I think (but I'm not entirely sure) the sleeve and arm diagram might be clarification introduced by our own footballing bodies (not FIFA).

But whilst we've now pretty much redrafted the whole offside law for the benefit of football, I would be happy to see added that VAR should only be used for incidents in the penalty area. Linesman's decision should be used elsewhere, as any marginal mistakes further up the pitch should be recoverable by good defending, and do not constitute an attacker gaining an unfair advantage. This would be sympathetic with the original intention of the offside law, as has been mentioned in this debate.
IFAB have their own picture:

54DC9350-1C38-4C53-9CFB-07A2619339F8.jpeg

IFAB have their own picture:

View attachment 11682
And from espn’s explanation before the season on what it will mean:

It will fix some things, but certainly not everything. Reducing the number of disallowed goals (the VAR chalked off 56 in the Premier League last season, 14 of them for handball) is key if VAR is to be accepted. But we are still going to be arguing about this, just to a lesser degree. The key thing is that most supporters didn't realise the new "no handball" area was actually being interpreted as handball before this summer. That means fans should now get more decisions which they expect, which is definitely an improvement.

However, a knock-on effect is that the attacker's body is now extended for offside decisions. So while this fixes part of the problem, it's created a new one. Additional goals will disallowed when a player is running or leaning with the arm extended.”

As I say, I’m shocked so few people have watched the PL since august and are seemingly unaware.

If they're going to state the armpit as a point of reference mate, then that's what should be used, as such, it appears they didn't in this case and Laporte was onside.
I 100% disagree. As espn explain:

‘However, a knock-on effect is that the attacker's body is now extended for offside decisions. So while this fixes part of the problem, it's created a new one. Additional goals will disallowed when a player is running or leaning with the arm extended’

It’s where the arm meets (or would meet) the armpit. Hence being referred to as the “t shirt” or “sleeve” line. That’s exactly where they drew the line to (if anything, the line was generous):

CEAC8F6D-5EB5-49D9-815F-49F8E1F7AE3A.jpeg

Can't agree with that. We've seen plenty of incorrect calls from linesmen where someone running through on goal has been a yard or so offside and not flagged. That's not recoverable, no matter how good a defender you are.

Why does the purple line angle off to the right? Its not perpendicular to the angle of the pitch/offside line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.