Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

I don’t remember a twenty page thread singing the praises of VAR when Cancelo’s excellent goal at West Brom was correctly reinstated after the assistant flagged for offside. Even in the game last night Jesus had his goal correctly reinstated thanks to VAR. Laporte was flagged offside so VAR cost us nothing.
Refs get some deci
When doing a bit of reading on the maths behind it, the margin of error attributable to frame rate seems to be around 30cm.

Given the manual nature of picking the frame that they decide the ball left the previous player, and manually drawing the lines, it really does feel like it's very open to not just inaccuracy, but human error also - which was surely the point in VAR being brought in, to reduce/remove human error.

Edit: I'll add that I'm all for VAR in terms of its ability to overrule truly stinking decisions, we've had them in the past where players are 1-2 yards on/offside with goals being given incorrectly. But it's being used at a level of accuracy that it can't achieve and causes confusion and annoyance.
Or in other words, the Premier league are actively lying to us all! I honestly don’t understand why they are doing this. It harms the product. Why?

Yes it has because it’s calculated in a 3D space from fully calibrated cameras. It’s why they don’t have var at FA cup grounds outside the PL. it’s not just a case of bring a couple of cameras.

It’s a great piece that. Nothing in it about margin of error though. Odd that

Why not make it a yard, 5, 18? Offside is offside.
Why not just make it correct to start off with.

Invent the tech that can accurately keep up with frame rates and not have the potential to be out by nearly 2 foot.

Don't pause the frame when the ball is 6 inches gone from the players foot or in this case his head, blatantly obvious on the still pictures, don't then draw a line from foot to some part of the arm in Crayola wax crayon producing a line that is thicker than the on pitch white lines. Also, don't cut the line through the players foot gaining an inch whilst also angling the line towards the attacker and not straight.

I am all for technology and when it is implemented fairly across the board it will be fantastic.

The penalties awarded by VAR have also been shocking and on occasion absolutely unbelievable that a professional ref could look at it in slow Mo from 8 angles and still give that Fernandez one v Villa.

As mentioned by others if it were not for VAR we would have had goals incorrectly not given by flag happy cheating assistant refs who think they can spot a player offside by 13mm from 50 yards away.

Why have linesmen? Every decision gets checked whether the flag is up or not so what’s the point? When it’s clearly off and play is to stop then the man in the shed buzzes the ref

Late to the debate. For what it's worth I agree with your interpretation but you have to accept that there is a huge degree of ambiguity in this, even in Chris Foy's statement as per the highlighted bits below!

View attachment 11744
Yeah it’s badly worded, what they mean is that the upper arm is no longer considered part of the arm as it’s now classed as the shoulder/body.

It’s a typical example of over complicating things whilst trying to make something more straight forward.

Especially if they cannot even draw the bloody things straight. FFS.
But they don’t “draw” the lines do they. It’s hawk eye that calibrates each pitch in as the article above explains. They click a cross hair and the system renders that position in 3D space. It’s only perspective that makes you think things aren’t straight or 90 degrees, though your valiant effort at line drawing was lovely.

Agreed , that’s where the players momentum is coming from, so makes total Sense .
Will they include the WHOLE FOOT, or just enough of the foot to show Laporte’s arm is offside...even after waiting for the ball to long since come off Bernardo’s head?!

There was SO MUCH WRONG with the Laporte decision, it’s not even funny!

1) When the froze the play
2) Where they drew the defenders foot line
3) How far down the arm they drew Laporte’s line
4) How big and fat they made the Laporte line, while the defenders line cuts off his heel and is razor thin
5) Pawson trying to make a strong decision! Say no more!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.