#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from being fast and his movement what positive qualities as a footballer does he add?
I’m not downplaying them but all these trophies are there for the taking and we need to grasp the opportunity. Tonight worried me. The standards of our rivals especially in Europe is poor. We need to take advantage. I don’t rate this City side as highly as the the other 2 Pep Championship winning sides(do you?) but they could win more the way this season is heading.
"Apart from being fast and his movement what positive qualities as a footballer does he add?" If you really cannot answer this question for yourself your credibility becomes minimal.

Ok. So, I’m not trying to argue with you on this but then do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to slate a player on a football forum? That lad as a footballer annoys me more than most far inferior Citg players I’ve watched down the years.

I just don’t get how that can lead to hate.He’s a 26 year old hugely talented footballer who happens to pick the wrong option quite often when clean through. :)
There's levels to this.

If you criticise the player for a performance that's one thing.
If you heavily criticise him, that's another.
But when you (not specifically you) start calling him shit, talk about how awful he is, make every attempt to say how awful he's always been, state how willing you are to get rid of/sell him, and whatever else, then that's another level.

Read through this thread since the loss today and you'll see that there's some severely emotionally fuelled bile aimed at him. This is the hate. This is what drowns out all reasonable critique. This emotionally charged anger is what establishes the culture of abuse.

This might seem similar to what is said at a game, but this is worse online. Because at a game there aren't going to be many people who hear you, nor does it linger past it being said. Online, not only does it last forever, but there's potentially hundreds, thousands, maybe even magnitudes greater of people that can read it. This starts the loop of people dishing it out, all in one concentrated space. The more posts there are, the more people that can see it. I can assure you it's the same on twitter and facebook. The negativity grows. Look at this place after a win, emotional negativity is drowned out. But after a loss, it's cultivated and grows and grows. People see this and repeat what they read here or wherever either here or elsewhere. With this abuse and hate, there's always going to be some stupid or legitimately racist people that feel it's appropriate to go too far. And with how prevalent it is after a bad result, that tiny percentage of people that have that mentality are a larger number of people than we realise.

It's not just City fans and it's not just Sterling, but when people can't control their emotions things always have the capacity to get out of control.

Yes really. If there's a culture of abuse then it gives people the belief that abusing a player is tolerable. Maybe you have legitimate reasons but there are plenty of nasty posts aimed at Sterling here and elsewhere. Someone without the filter of knowing racism is intolerable will see things like this and that's where the racist abuse kicks in. This forum has a ton of readers who don't post and if any of those are young or stupid then maybe they'll get some ideas.

Hate breeds hate.
Ok. So, I’m not trying to argue with you on this but then do you think people shouldn’t be allowed to slate a player on a football forum? That lad as a footballer annoys me more than most far inferior Citg players I’ve watched down the years.

I just don’t get how that can lead to hate.He’s a 26 year old hugely talented footballer who happens to pick the wrong option quite often when clean through. :)
"Apart from being fast and his movement what positive qualities as a footballer does he add?" If you really cannot answer this question for yourself your credibility becomes minimal.
Do tell

Obviously they do have a link.

You are hardly going to say 'Oh I think Raheem is a brilliant player but a little racist abuse might improve his finishing'.

It's not a huge leap from saying he's a waste of space, complete shit etc to racist abuse.
Very true. verbal abuse is like descending steps, the more the abuse is "accepted" by society or here on a forum, the further the abusers descend into the sewer.

There's levels to this.

But when you (not specifically you) start calling him shit, talk about how awful he is, make every attempt to say how awful he's always been, state how willing you are to get rid of/sell him, and whatever else, then that's another level.

Read through this thread since the loss today and you'll see that there's some severely emotionally fuelled bile aimed at him. This is the hate. This is what drowns out all reasonable critique. This emotionally charged anger is what establishes the culture of abuse.

This might seem similar to what is said at a game, but this is worse online. Because at a game there aren't going to be many people who hear you, nor does it linger past it being said. Online, not only does it last forever, but there's potentially hundreds, thousands, maybe even magnitudes greater of people that can read it. This starts the loop of people dishing it out, all in one concentrated space. The more posts there are, the more people that can see it. I can assure you it's the same on twitter and facebook. The negativity grows. Look at this place after a win, emotional negativity is drowned out. But after a loss, it's cultivated and grows and grows. People see this and repeat what they read here or wherever either here or elsewhere. With this abuse and hate, there's always going to be some stupid or legitimately racist people that feel it's appropriate to go too far. And with how prevalent it is after a bad result, that tiny percentage of people that have that mentality are a larger number of people than we realise.

It's not just City fans and it's not just Sterling, but when people can't control their emotions things always have the capacity to get out of control.
Good and thought provoking post.

There's levels to this.

An excellent thoughtful post. Prepare to be asked if you are a cleric !! or worse an advocate of decency.

I’m genuinely worried that if he has a shit Euros his value is going to plummet. To think Real reportedly would have given us £120m last summer.

We need to find a replacement with the same work ethic, and ability off the ball, before we think about getting shut though.

We can’t afford to go for another Mahrez. All the skill but not the attitude.
Mahrez has made Sterling look like a pub league player recently. His touch, his ball work, his shooting (and scoring) are ALL streets better than Sterling, at present.

And, to be fair, Mahrez has done a LOT more donkey work in recent months, which was always the knock against him.

There is currently no serious comparison between the two players. I mean...through your legs with a wide open goal??? WTAF?!

Sterling needs John Stones head doctor. He also needs to stop playing with his fuckin arms in the air and relax from the waist up. His first touch is terrible and he just runs into brick fuckin walls. There, said it. Sorry Raheem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.