Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest deaths figures look very encouraging with numbers down by 40% since last Sunday whereas cases only down by 15%. Seems the link between cases and deaths is well and truly broken. We just need confirmation that the vaccines significantly reduce the probability of serious illness and death for every single variant and we're home and dry. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I've not been keeping a close eye on the thread.

There will always be new variants as we will never eradicate the virus. We have to learn to live with it, there is no other option.
I read today that even over 100 years later, certain strains of flu around at the moment are variants from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. We don't panic over flu now, we vaccinate the vulnerable. I think the same will happen with Covid in that it will always be around, just different strains but the vaccine will make it that we are able to live with it without lockdowns etc. Yes it will unfortunately kill the vulnerable just as flu does every year but in a few short months there will be no need for further lockdowns.

Nothing about the worry of future variants is unreasonable, my only uncertainty is what does that mean long term though to keep them in check ? We can’t keep having lockdowns, we can’t social distance from our family and friends for years on end. Furlough isn’t a viable long term solution. We can hand sanitize at every indoor event and wear masks if ill or even during winter but beyond that, how else are we supposed to keep covid infections in check without reintroducing these horribly socially restrictive measures ? If the threats of vaccine resistant variants is always a cause for great concern, then does that mean we can’t ever truly have our lives back ? Not downplaying future variants but what are we honestly expected to do, we can’t keep living like this.
There's research ongoing into vaccines that work differently and that are likely to work against all variants due to the mechanism of the vaccine. It all sounds very complicated but if it works it should be another significant weapon against the disease. Here's one example that's about to start phase 1 clinical trials after successful tests on animals.
https://www.scancell.co.uk/covidity

I can tell you now, I dread to think of how I’d be doing right now if I didn’t have the love of my life living with me. These last 12 months have absolutely given me the beating of my life. Working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week at hospital and coming home to spend my time doing nothing and seeing nothing beyond my walls at home. I feel so bad that I’ve had to have my girlfriend console me and reassure me about all this more than I have for her. Can’t bare to imagine those alone suffering through this. I just want this over, this is an awful way to live. Hoping for better days soon.
Great post, I've posted before on this, my Dad is 88, lives on his own, mentally sharp, does about 2 hours a day of the Express puzzles, physically ok for his age but without me, Mrs H and my sister I'm convinced he wouldn't have got through this. Late last year he said he thought Christmas 2020 would be his last one, he's never suffered from any mental illness but I detected an element of despair. I see him everyday, I'm effectively his carer. I dread to think how people completely on their own cope, no interaction with friends at their local pub, club, bingo, cafe or the like. End of lockdown can't come quick enough.

Nothing about the worry of future variants is unreasonable, my only uncertainty is what does that mean long term though to keep them in check ? We can’t keep having lockdowns, we can’t social distance from our family and friends for years on end. Furlough isn’t a viable long term solution. We can hand sanitize at every indoor event and wear masks if ill or even during winter but beyond that, how else are we supposed to keep covid infections in check without reintroducing these horribly socially restrictive measures ? If the threats of vaccine resistant variants is always a cause for great concern, then does that mean we can’t ever truly have our lives back ? Not downplaying future variants but what are we honestly expected to do, we can’t keep living like this.

The good news is that no variant appears to totally evade the vaccine, despite what the press publish every other day about a new far flung variant. As long as the vaccine prevents serious illness in upwards of 60% of people that would have otherwise gotten seriously ill, then that along with natural immunity should be enough for us to return to normal.

Lockdowns are "Suppression", this is a direct attempt to bring down the R0 to under 1 and get an epidemic under control. the next phase is "Mitigation". if we had been on the ball at the very start we could have skipped suppression and just been in "Mitigation" all along with a solid track and trace system etc. we had a good 5 weeks notice to get something in place at the start.

But thats beside the point, we are where we are. we Suppressed in the 1st lockdown but didn't have the Mitigation systems in place to successfully mitigate. Hopefully we do now, and mixed with the vaccines we are in a far better place

Worst case real world scenario right now is it evades immunity ( personally, and totally uneducated on it I personally this this happening in the long run), but that will just mean we need a new vaccine and with the new vaccines we have here they reckon it would be a couple of months to roll out a vaccine for new variants that do evade the last vaccine. if that happens we pretty much just move to yearly boosters like we have for the flu.

Latest deaths figures look very encouraging with numbers down by 40% since last Sunday whereas cases only down by 15%. Seems the link between cases and deaths is well and truly broken. We just need confirmation that the vaccines significantly reduce the probability of serious illness and death for every single variant and we're home and dry. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I've not been keeping a close eye on the thread.

Think cases would've been down even more tbh mate but we've just started mass testing kids so we are finding more too.

The good news is that no variant appears to totally evade the vaccine, despite what the press publish every other day about a new far flung variant. As long as the vaccine prevents serious illness in upwards of 60% of people that would have otherwise gotten seriously ill, then that along with natural immunity should be enough for us to return to normal
What do you think natural immunity is? The immune response is highly specific. And this is not static hence your rider that as long as the vaccine prevents serious illness in upwards of 60% is in doubt, or at least I doubt it even if you don't.

It's probably inevitable that cases will actually go up now that schools are opening and when other businesses open, but as long as the death toll keeps dropping that's as good as it's going to get.

For me this next 4 or 5 weeks will decide everything. If we can get to mid-April with no huge uptick in hospital admissions then I'd say we were good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.