#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Mahrez was our best attacker and I agree that KDB was awful, but to say the winning run was achieved without KDB is not true. You say “stats don’t lie” but maybe you do! KDB missed just 7 of the 21 wins.
I thought he had missed much more than that, I will double check the stats and stand corrected if I was wrong.

I would not bench Gundo by any means ! The guy proved his worth lately and played a pivotal role in our ascesion. Kev should be used slowley and wisely until he regain his form, otherwise we should not play him to the detriment of our recent outstanding momentum.
I dont disagree with you at all....the point i was making more was that IF kDB starts I dont think he can play as a 3 with Gundogan and Rodri without sacrifincing getting the best out of both those two and bernardo and foden

I suppose you could play this:

-------------------------Ederson-------------------

-----Walker/Cancello----Stones-----Dias---------Zinchenko/Cacenllo-

-----------------Rodri-------- gundogan

-------Bernardo------KDB-------------Foden---

-------------------------Kun/Jesus------------------

but that sacrifices natural width that Sterling or Torres can provide

you could also do it this way by sacrificing a natural striker

-------------------------Ederson-------------------

-----Walker/Cancello----Stones-----Dias---------Zinchenko/Cacenllo-

-----------------Rodri-------- Gundogn-----------

Sterling/Torres----KDB----Bernardo----------Foden---

This works a lot of the time BUT I feel that, as well as we have been playing, we do occasionally miss that natural finisher (ie Kun) and in big one off games that can be pivotal

Its a great and interesting problem for Pep to solve and i doubt there is any one particualr was in which to solve it...more horses for courses but again in those big one off games (and a derby is that) its important to get it right.

Now the issue with KDB yesterday may have been the system and may also have been general match fitness/sharpness or both...I dont think (as good as he has been) that he has hit top form this season.

Kevin De Bruyne is clearly one of our greatest ever players though he hasn't been anywhere near his best in these 4 games since he has come back. I really don't think his sub par form is down to his contract situation. He's just struggling. It would not have been a surprise if he had been on the bench. That would have been the logical call with Bernardo playing instead. Even so, Kev is still creating and that is probably why Pep Guardiola went for him.

No way should we be thinking about selling him. Hopefully he will sign an extension but if not, maybe we should keep him for the remainder, depending on form. There is no need to sell him and it would potentially be a huge mistake.

It would not do him or the team any harm if we pace his return, and let him come back at his own pace. Bernardo and Gundo are ahead of him right now and should start (and should have in the Derby).

Kev will get it back I'm sure.

Last edited:
In the new system pep is playing, there are 3 positions I see where the player has freedom to take risks with movement and passing: LCM, wherever Cancelo is on a given day, and the false 9. KDB is at his best at RCM but the control Bernie offers in the middle makes him undroppable there imo. Kev definitely has a spot in our best 11 when he’s in form, but in the current system that would have to be in Gundos spot or upfront, and Gundo is just playing much better right now. Whenever Kev is in the team he needs coverage for his risk taking. He has been at his best alongside David Silva (control) and Fernandinho (coverage), Rodri and Gundo as a double pivot, and with walker at right back behind him. In the current system our control has come through midfield and our creativity has come from the wings and cancelo. I think KDB could get back to his best in this system, but it can’t come at the sacrifice of Bernardo. I also don’t think he can play with cancelo on the same side as him. He would need to be at LCM or upfront, with a Laporte or ake behind him. Could inject a load of creativity down that side for Foden to play off of too.
Side note: I am deathly curious how he would do in cancelos position with Laporte-Dias-stones alongside him

We all do,but in the meantime that shouldnt be to the detriment of the collective and our subsequent performances.
This is a reasonable enough point, but we all know Pep's preferred method of getting a player into form is playing them more than ever. As he's done before with Sterling, Walker, Mahrez, Bernardo, Rodri, and Gundogan at one time or another. So it's likely he's going to be playing De Bruyne more than he would otherwise if his form is a concern.

I'm not making an argument for that, to be clear. Just pointing it out.

This is a reasonable enough point, but we all know Pep's preferred method of getting a player into form is playing them more than ever. As he's done before with Sterling, Walker, Mahrez, Bernardo, Rodri, and Gundogan at one time or another. So it's likely he's going to be playing De Bruyne more than he would otherwise if his form is a concern.

I'm not making an argument for that, to be clear. Just pointing it out.
I recognise that,but it just seems somewhat folly at the business end of the season.Its a fine balance,as i know we could need him if Gundogan or Bernardo get injured,but why not get games sewn up and then bring him on in the latter stages?

Also,there is no guarantee that the above method of 'playing into form' always works as Sterling is proving.

Anyway,trust in Pep :-)

Apparently his playing style doesn't fit in the new system so far. His stray passes, especially when city are dominating possession in the final third, would probably have the team kicked out in the Champions League knockout stage. Let's make it simple, he should not be started at least in all those important matches if the new system keeps on working perfectly without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.