Paedophilia within the game/City launch redress scheme

When I was 11/12/13 (in 72/73/74) I played the odd game for a Sunday under 13s team in the East Manchester and District League. We were from North Manchester and used to play a team called Senrab who were based in Hulme and played at a pitch on Jackson Crescent. They played with twin centre forwards - Roger Palmer (City and Oldham) and Peter Coyne (United) and Jan Novaki (Bolton). They were a fierce aggressive team - looked much older than 13 - used to thrash us and everyone else 10 - 0, 12 - 1 etc. What was the connection with the Hulme Senrab ?
Like I said he had a connection with Senrab on page 90 of this thread bluegas13 mentioned Senrab as well don't know what the link was I also remember the Senrab team as being physically strong and looking well beyond their age group

Back in the day, there was a school feeder system into the professional teams. The Schools Representation System had control of your football “career” with clubs, or so they threatened you. I know because I was up at Sunderland when I got a call to come back to Manchester to play a representational game against Manchester Boys. I didn’t want to leave but was told in no uncertain terms what might happen. The club ended up getting me a taxi and a train ticket. I was picked up at Crewe around 4 in the morning and taken to ”his” house for a few hours sleep before the game.

Nothing happened that time, but the grooming was pervasive. Meals before games, money to play the arcade in Piccadilly, a trip to the house to “help out with registration forms,” and then a “pre-match massage” on a towel, on the floor of his work office in town. Door locked, glass window shuttered, “don’t want to get the oil on your school uniform, do we?” and the rest you can imagine. I made it clear, I was uncomfortable (to say the least), but when you are 14/15, want to be a pro, and the person has already threatened your fledgling career, what do you do? Well, you ask yourself questions, like “Did my Dad have to go through this?” “All the other lads don’t get this, so I must be special, right?” “If my Dad finds out he might kill the guy, so I have to cover it up.” “Is he a puff, and he thinks I am one, too?”

You go mental thinking things, all while trying desperately to hide it, by having as many girlfriends as possible and being as “heterosexual as possible,” just to make sure no one will know and to make certain you really do only like girls.

I realized I was no longer his boy when, on the coach to Blackpool to play them, he came over to me and TOLD ME I WAS INJURED AND COULDN'T PLAY TODAY and that he was going to tell the coach I had just told him about it. He got up and went and sat with the coach, who immediately got up, came back to my seat and read me the riot act about getting a paid-for day out in Blackpool, being deceptive and untrustworthy for not telling him, etc, etc, etc. I was never elected to play for them again.

That was all about 45 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

I know I did the right thing in not telling my Dad, because he would have beaten him to death. I even thought about it myself numerous times. He is dead now.

To this day, I know it affects me in ways I would prefer to keep private, so I can understand the players who cry while repeating their trauma for others. You feel shame, you fear that others will know (or find out) and tell everyone. You wonder if you caused it, and if so what was it that caused it so you don’t do it again...and on and on and on...

I‘m glad to hear that this predation is out in the open now and hope that things have changed for the better for young boys, and young girls (U.S. Gymnastics!).

Being the target of a sexual predator changes your life, often in ways you don’t even know, but you just learn to accept it as “that’s who I am now,” because not only do you not know any different but you can’t go back and change the past.

I will probably watch the show at some point, but I’m not looking forward to hearing the experiences of the players featured. It is testament to their strength that they have had a professional career such that we know them, and that they have the courage to speak out now.

I have had an email from a reporter in my inbox on her for a few years now, asking me to speak to him about it. I never did, because I was a nobody and nothing in English football and it clearly happened to famous people, so who would care about me. Now that I see the numbers, I see that it was really an epidemic spread by pedophiles and nonces below the surface of the game.

Last edited:
Back in the day, there was a school feeder system into the professional teams. The Schools Representation System had control of your football “career” with clubs, or so they threatened you. I know because I was up at Sunderland when I got a call to come back to Manchester to play a representational game against Manchester Boys. I didn’t want to leave but was told in no uncertain terms what might happen. The club ended up getting me a taxi and a train ticket. I was picked up around 4 in the morning and taken to ”his” house for a few hours sleep before the game.

Nothing happened that time, but the grooming was pervasive. Meals before games, money to play the arcade in Piccadilly, a trip to the house to “help out with registration forms,” and then a “pre-match massage” on a towel, on the floor of his work office in town. Door locked, glass window shuttered, “don’t want to get the oil on you uniform, do we?” and the rest you can imagine. I made it clear, I was uncomfortable (to say the least), but when you are 14/15, went to be a pro, and the person has already threatened your fledgling career, what do you do? Well, you ask yourself questions, like “Did my Dad have to go through this?” “All the other lads don’t get this, so I must be special, right?” “If my Dad finds out he might kill the guy, so I have to cover it up.” “Is he puff, and he thinks I am one, too?”

You go mental thinking things, all while trying desperately to hide it, have as many girlfriends as possible and be as “heterosexual as possible,” just to make sure no one will know and to make certain you like girls.

I realized I was on longer his boy when, on the coach to Blackpool to play them, he came over to me and TOLD ME I WAS INJURED AND COULDN'T PLAY TODAY and that he was going to tell the coach I had just told him about it. He got up and went and sat with the coach, who immediately got up, came back to my seat and read me the riot act about getting a paid for day out in Blackpool, being deceptive and untrustworthy for not telling him, etc, etc, etc. I was never elected to play for them again.

I know I did the right thing in not telling my Dad, because he would have beaten him to death. I even thought about it myself numerous times. He is dead now.

To this day, I know it affects me in ways I would prefer to keep private, so I can understand the players who cry while repeating their trauma for others. You feel shame, you fear that others will know (or find out) and tell everyone. You wonder if you caused it, and if so what was it that caused it so you don’t do it again...and on and on and on...

I‘m glad to hear that this predation is out in the open now and hope that things have changed for the better for young boys, and young girls (U.S. Gymnastics!).

Being the target of a sexual predator changes your life, often in ways you don’t even know, but you just learn to accept it as “that’s who I am now,” because not only do you not know any different but you can’t go back and change the past.

I will probably watch the show at some point, but I’m not looking forward to hearing the experiences of the players featured. It is testament to their strength that they both had a professional career such that we know them, and that they have the courage to speak out now.

I have had an email from a reporter in my inbox in her for a year or two now, asking me to speak to him about it. I never did, because I was a nobody and nothing in English football and it clearly happened to famous people, so who would care about me. Now that I see the numbers, I see that it was an epidemic spread by pedophiles and nonces below the surface of the game.
Thanks for sharing.
I hope you can watch the programme at some point.

Back in the day, there was a school feeder system into the professional teams. The Schools Representation System had control of your football “career” with clubs, or so they threatened you. I know because I was up at Sunderland when I got a call to come back to Manchester to play a representational game against Manchester Boys. I didn’t want to leave but was told in no uncertain terms what might happen. The club ended up getting me a taxi and a train ticket. I was picked up around 4 in the morning and taken to ”his” house for a few hours sleep before the game.

Nothing happened that time, but the grooming was pervasive. Meals before games, money to play the arcade in Piccadilly, a trip to the house to “help out with registration forms,” and then a “pre-match massage” on a towel, on the floor of his work office in town. Door locked, glass window shuttered, “don’t want to get the oil on you uniform, do we?” and the rest you can imagine. I made it clear, I was uncomfortable (to say the least), but when you are 14/15, went to be a pro, and the person has already threatened your fledgling career, what do you do? Well, you ask yourself questions, like “Did my Dad have to go through this?” “All the other lads don’t get this, so I must be special, right?” “If my Dad finds out he might kill the guy, so I have to cover it up.” “Is he puff, and he thinks I am one, too?”

You go mental thinking things, all while trying desperately to hide it, have as many girlfriends as possible and be as “heterosexual as possible,” just to make sure no one will know and to make certain you like girls.

I realized I was on longer his boy when, on the coach to Blackpool to play them, he came over to me and TOLD ME I WAS INJURED AND COULDN'T PLAY TODAY and that he was going to tell the coach I had just told him about it. He got up and went and sat with the coach, who immediately got up, came back to my seat and read me the riot act about getting a paid for day out in Blackpool, being deceptive and untrustworthy for not telling him, etc, etc, etc. I was never elected to play for them again.

I will probably watch the show at some point, but I’m not looking forward to hearing the experiences of the players featured. It is testament to their strength that they both had a professional career such that we know them, and that they have the courage to speak out now.

I have had an email from a reporter in my inbox in her for a year or two now, asking me to speak to him about it. I never did, because I was a nobody and nothing in English football and it clearly happened to famous people, so who would care about me. Now that I see the numbers, I see that it was an epidemic spread by pedophiles and nonces below the surface of the game.
Wow.

Makes you realise just how insidious and destructive these people are.

I'm sure others will be more eloquent in replies, but I needed to say something.

My greatest admiration for coming forward. I'm sure you do realise, but never forget, it was this scum's fault not yours.

I sat through all 3 episodes on the iplayer last night and it's a difficult watch, as someone who is involved in grassroots football to see these evil men pray on the emotions of young boys by peddling the dream of making it as a pro was awful.

Hope they all rot in hell!

Like I said he had a connection with Senrab on page 90 of this thread bluegas13 mentioned Senrab as well don't know what the link was I also remember the Senrab team as being physically strong and looking well beyond their age group
Senrab is Barnes backwards so I'd hazard a guess that it was a team set up by Ken Barnes?

I was never abused but I've always carried a weird memory.

I would have been maybe 9 years old and was a keen young player and for some reason a bloke, I won't mention his name of course, arranged directly with us lads when we played on the field locally, for us to play a game one Saturday morning. I can remeber it was pissing it down that morning and when I left my house with my kit (it's still incredible that my parents let me) he was waiting outside in his car and he picked me up, and one or two others, and took us to the field. I remember nothing about that match apart from the rain and the mud, but I definitely remember us having showers after.

This bloke formed a team later, and we played against them in an adult pub league and all the players were 16-17 years old, as we were on our team. I can remember everyone saying that he'd told his team that he was gay. Back then of course that was a big deal and the talk of the town.

Strange story and I really don't know what went on but it was suspicious. I've never heard anything bad about the guy and I've tried to google him since. I guess the moral of the story is that parents were totally naiave back then and these guys could get away with allsorts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.