Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

We definitely need to sure up that central midfield area and build from that mate, we were way too open and Rodri really struggled with their pressing, I'd be very surprised if Fern isn't a starter next week.

Think next week will suit us better, play disciplined strangle the game. Going to be walking a tight rope with them looking to score the first goal but I think we could have potential on the transitions if we have Sterling and Jesus making the running. Looking forward to it, was a very good game of football last night Dortmund proved they are no mugs.

Rodri, Gundogen and Bernardo work best together as a midfield three. As a unit we may have to shoe horn KDB as the false nine again to get the best out of this team. Those performances against Munchengladbach were sublime.

What really surprised me about last night was the players reverting back to their rampaging type, that we have worked so hard on this season to get out of. Pep always says control, pass, pass, pass. But we were trying to move the ball forwards too quick against a team that is built for that, Pep was right when he mentioned Cancelo and Rodri because they are the linchpin's in that build up from the back and they didn't do a great job. Something else i think didn't work was Cancelo at left back with a right footed CB next to him, i think the return leg has to be with Cancelo on other side and Zinchenko at LB. I was a bit surprised that Zinny didn't start anyway because he gives us more control than the others, it was def needed last night.
Because we were trying to force it, there were a lot of silly errors and we weren't recognising how easy they were getting through out high press to have free-run's at our defence. I'm pretty sure in the return leg Pep will adjust the press (i think he said afterwards as well) so that the forwards press high but the 8's and the 6 cover the lines better because they play out *REALLY* well.

On Dortmund, i was very impressed with them. I heard a lot of people say we made them look good, but it's pretty fucking clear that we are tailor made for them and they are brilliant with working the ball. I'd expect us to setup a lot more like we did against Liverpool in the league and try and catch them out on quick breaks, because in turnovers they were all over the place.

I think the number of games is catching up with Diaz. No time to rest him at the moment, but rest of the back 4 needs to support him like he's done for the past 6 months.
I've seen similar takes to this, why do people think he had such a bad game? He made the one mistake, but also made one great block and martialed the defence to his usual standard. I guess that's the level we expect from him now, zero mistakes.

I've seen similar takes to this, why do people think he had such a bad game? He made the one mistake, but also made one great block and martialed the defence to his usual standard. I guess that's the level we expect from him now, zero mistakes.
Agreed. Considering he was up against one of the two most dangerous strikers in the world, he had a decent match I reckon.

Didn't enjoy that game last night from a City point of view. Felt like all of our vulnerabilities were back.

Glad we managed to get that late goal though as we didn't want to go there behind the 8 ball definitely needing a goal.

Thought Rodri, Walker and Cancelo were poor. Rodri had his worst game in months. Dias, to an extent, wasn't great but Haaland looks a physical monster to play against. Walker showed again why he isn't quite world class. At the very very top level, you can't get away with the ball watching you can get away with in some Premier League games.

Well done to the team for beating a good dangerous Dortmund and I believe we will go on to win in Germany as well. Of the two controversial moments. I think the referee got both of them wrong but marginal calls. Rodri did get contact in the box but chose for whatever reason to pretend it was his head rather than his thigh. It would have been soft if given.
The referee obviously thought Bellingham made the challenge with studs showing and blew. In fact there was no contact with Ederson. Given some of the shit we have had in the last few seasons with dodgy decisions against us, I can live with one being in our favour for once.
Other than that I thought the ref had a reasonable game.

Too many brainfarts and giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Yes Rodri, Im looking at you. His best offensive move last night was running 10 yards back to our penalty box and then finding a Dortmund player on the edge of the box with an inch perfect pass. He has been great this season and will be disappointed with last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.