How many points will be needed to win the league? (74 GD)

How many points will be needed to win the league?

• 81 - 85

Votes: 671 67.0%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 280 28.0%
  • 70 - 75

Votes: 50 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a question for fellow blues, do you want the manager to go for an unprecedented quadruple, which means a considerable amount of rest and rotation is required, or do we sacrifice one or more of the cup competitions in order to virtually guarantee the league? I’m not overly impressed with the team selection yesterday but if we win the lot it will soon be forgotten.

Now, personally, I have a reputation for worrying. I've made a life out of it. I thought I'd come here to see some rational talk to calm my fears, but I haven't found much, so I'm now realising that it might be me who needs to apply some rational logic here.

Is this undue panicking based upon three points lost since the derby really based upon reality, or is it as I felt in February 2018, when the overwhelming voice in my head that said "what if" kept pecking away like an excitable woodpecker?

Fear has taken over reality because of two things combined. One is that we will have lost the biggest title lead in history and the second is that it would be to United. We'd never hear the last of it.

However, let's analyse this a bit more deeply. If we were eight points clear of a team in the same form as United, but they weren't actually United; they were (say) Chelsea, would there be this level of panic? If we had never been more than eight points clear and we were now eight points clear, would there be this level of panic?

United play well against the better teams away. Today's result is no shock. Where they have dropped points is unexpectedly, to the poorer sides. Despite the fear, the chances are they will drop some more points. Maybe not many, but perhaps 2, 3, or even 4.

If they just drop the two, given our much superior goal difference, that would mean needing eight points. Palace will have nothing to play for. Chances are Newcastle and Brighton will be safe. Everton will have nothing to play for. Villa are a shadow of the team without Grealish - and they have nothing to play for.

It seems to be a belief now that Pep will field a reserve team for all league games. Even if we did, this was a reserve team yesterday worth about £400 million. One that had 29 shots to 2. With those kind of stats, you win 9 times out of 10. However, this was a game when we had a huge buffer beforehand. That buffer is lesser now and therefore the manager will know that the 'joker' card has now been played. It will not be done again. There will be changes, but line-ups like that will not likely be seen until if and when the job is done.

We've dropped 6 points in four months and we now have a run of fixtures that, despite rumours to the contrary, is (bar the Chelsea game) one you couldn't have hand picked much better. We also play four out of six away, which will better suit our passing game that is being restricted by the state of our pitch.

If we don't beat Villa, then I'll join in the flap, but there's nothing that flapping will change for the better in the next ten days and we've two other important games first. Games that, unlike the Leeds game, are do or die. No second chances. We have second and third chances in the league.

At the end of the day, this team and this manager are serial winners. They won't be suffering from the same nerves. Nobody, but nobody from outside of our club believes for a second we will blow up. It could happen, but it isn't likely. The odds are about 50-1. The reality is that if you spend your life continually worrying about 50-1 chances coming off, then you'll never do anything but worry.

I'm sure we will drop more points, but dropping nine whilst United drop none, given the fixtures we both have left, is a fear that is based more upon a phobia than rationale. The calculable odds are very small indeed.
I think it’s the fact we were 14/17 points clear and looked all but certain we’d have it wrapped up with a handful of games left.

Now it’s gone from a 500/1 shot to 50/1, sure we’re still overwhelming favourites and it would need a shocking run of form to cough a further 8 points up but this season has produced strange moments. Who predicts Liverpool losing 6 in a row at home.

We’d have all taken a 8pt lead with 6 games to go before Christmas but would we have done before the Derby?

Also yes I think it being United plays a part too, it’s not even worth thinking about the situation if it did happen..

Villa has become a must win now though, no? 5 with 5 to go and it’s an actual title race.

I’m a blue we always worry, realistically there is an 8 point gap with 6 games to go, we have to blow up and I don’t think we will but in truth this should be done and dusted rags and leeds results were all on Pep

Personally I want the league and whilst my want is utterely irrelevant to the owners I feel certain that many many blues feel like this

on the up side if Spurs play like that in the final we can fuels the U12’s
How was this result on pep ? How many chances did we have yesterday ? Also, Would you rather have players missing from injury for Dortmund?

If the next 2 games had been league games then it wouldn't of been such a rotated team. Wednesday is huge with the possibility of extra time & penalties same on Saturday. Once the UCL semis are here the Carabou final will be done & we will know our fate in the fa cup.

Even after the result, I still feel it was the right time to risk a defeat. If we lose on Wednesday, Pep will go full on in the league.
We will be in same situation next week with mid week PL games against Villa and HUGE CUP FINAL. What should we do REST players again and end up losing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.