Ditching Sky

Ditched Sky last month as only had it with a boadband deal and have gone to another provider.

They have started pestering me for the equipment back. On the website its £185 for the sky box and wifi box. Do they really charge that much?
The sky+ box is yours if you have completed your initial introductory period and made all the payments. They're not much use really as they're just a non recording Freesat box without a subscription. I usually rip out the disk drive and use it to back up my files, or you could buy a caddy and use it as a tv Freeview usb recorder. A bit naff though as you can only record what you are watching unless the TV has more than one tuner.

If you've no use for it, sending it back means you're doing a little for the planet. This is probably why they ask for it, to cover their environmental responsibility. Be warned that if you send it back but then want to go back afterwards you might be limited to Sky Q, which some don't like.

The sky+ box is yours if you have completed your initial introductory period and made all the payments. They're not much use really as they're just a non recording Freesat box without a subscription. I usually rip out the disk drive and use it to back up my files, or you could buy a caddy and use it as a tv Freeview usb recorder. A bit naff though as you can only record what you are watching unless the TV has more than one tuner.

If you've no use for it, sending it back means you're doing a little for the planet. This is probably why they ask for it, to cover their environmental responsibility. Be warned that if you send it back but then want to go back afterwards you might be limited to Sky Q, which some don't like.
This is what i thought but it seems things have changed - I had Sky Q and a broadband router from about Jan 2019 so i did the full initial contract:

Your Sky equipment will have been loaned to you, if you have Sky Q or changed or joined Sky Broadband after 4th March 2020, so when you leave, you’ll need to return it to us. If you don’t, you’ll be charged a non-return fee. Go to Charges for not returning Sky equipment to find out more, including what you need to return and when. The charge depends on what equipment you haven’t returned to us:
  • Sky Q 1TB box - £115
  • Sky Q 2TB box - £135
  • Sky Q Mini box - £50
  • Sky Q Hub/Sky Broadband Hub - £50
  • Sky Broadband Booster - £35

Seems a bit steep.

This is what i thought but it seems things have changed - I had Sky Q and a broadband router from about Jan 2019 so i did the full initial contract:

Seems a bit steep.
Sky Q boxes are usually not owned by the customer (even after any initial period), they're just loaned so they have to be returned unless you have specifically paid for it off Sky.

I cancelled Sky 3 weeks ago and I'm into the last week now. I'm waiting for the big discounts, but they don't seem to be coming through like they used to do.

Had a letter from them offering everything (Sky, HD, Sports, Cinema, Box Sets) on our existing Sky HD+ box for £43 a month. I barely watch it apart from Sports but the wife insists we have to have it.

On the last renewal I got it for £34 so it seems a bit of a jump up to £43. Do you reckon I'll get offered anything better than this? Is there anything else I can squeeze out of them?

Ring them - they will usually jump thru hoops to keep you. It’s certainly worth a try. Halved my bill for combined TV and Broadband the last time I threw a tantrum!

Ring them - they will usually jump thru hoops to keep you. It’s certainly worth a try. Halved my bill for combined TV and Broadband the last time I threw a tantrum!
How long ago was that mate? I’d agree they’ve certainly done that for customers in the past, and I did it myself 2 years ago, but GLS seems to be suggesting they’ve changed their strategy a bit this year, and aren’t doing that anymore.

Haven't had it for years. Think I was paying around £90 a month to listen to every man and his dog slag our club off at every opportunity.

4k firestick and YouTube gives me all the movies and TV I want. Even the Prime and Netflix stuff is on there. No longer subscribe to those. Firestick also has a casting option so an Adblock browser on my phone and a couple of choice websites gives me all the football I want to watch. No longer need a TV license. Save around £1600 a year which is just mental.

Even better I haven't heard Martin Tyler's voice for 5 years

Haven't had it for years. Think I was paying around £90 a month to listen to every man and his dog slag our club off at every opportunity.

4k firestick and YouTube gives me all the movies and TV I want. Even the Prime and Netflix stuff is on there. No longer subscribe to those. Firestick also has a casting option so an Adblock browser on my phone and a couple of choice websites gives me all the football I want to watch. No longer need a TV license. Save around £1600 a year which is just mental.

Even better I haven't heard Martin Tyler's voice for 5 years
That's a bit harsh, genuinely excitable commentator if either of the 'iiiiiiiiiistory boys score........

I remember life before Sky starting charging folk for watching things - it was ok but no choice at all compared with anything you want from wall to wall these days.
Everything’s on tap but it comes at a price - end of

I cancelled Sky a year ago during the first lockdown (end of my 18 month contract) but came back to them at the end of November after agreeing a price on the chat that I was happy with. I agreed to £37 a month, basically for Sky Sports in UHD. I only care about live sport in the best quality because a decent Plex server can offer the rest.

I did recently discover that the Cardsharing scene is back again although it's only certain types of boxes (google 'Viark Sky') that work. It's apparently quite a bit unreliable with SS channels going down a lot and freezing/glitching. My current Sky contract runs until the end of next season so I'm not in a position to dump them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.