Hiking thread

The main thing to take from it is that boots are of a personal nature as everyone’s feet are different.

A couple of years ago I wanted a new pair with money no object. I tried on everything they had, including makes like Scarpa, but the only really comfy ones were Merrell.
Ended up buying the next comfiest for my feet which was a pair of Hi-Tecs (!) at half the price. They’re leather and you do have to look after them, but no more so than my synthetic boots did.

La Sportiva are my preferred choice mate.. got these last year, lightweight, warm and sturdy. Waterproof too.

Now the shops are open I nipped to Cheshire Oaks this week as there are a couple of outdoor wear stores there
First stop was Soloman, but they only had one style of boots in my size. So popped into Regatta and bought a pair of leather Craghoppers for £89.99 (full price £130)
I think the sales assistant must have thought I was a bit mad as I kept entering the names of the boots into my phone to check out the reviews

Had a trip to Snowdon last Sunday planned for a while, and as luck would have it, City reached the CL final. Now instead of rescheduling Snowdon, or being sensible and not drinking, I proceeded to have too much too drink and very little sleep.

Fortunately I didn't have to drive, but as we all met up at the car park at Pen-Y-Pass, it had been decided we were going to take the route up Crib Goch. I was aware this was he toughest route, but was not quite aware just how exposed and dangerous!

An absolutely glorious day, but the heat combined with my lack of sleep and hangover made for an incredibly tough climb. Obviously made it up and down ok, but reading about accidents on Crib Goch on the way home made me feel a little foolish.

Will ensure any future ascents of any mountains are undertaken with ample sleep and no drinking the day before.

It was absolutely heaving though, so next trip will be midweek during term time I think.... I couldn't get a photo at the summit, well, not unless you wanted to queue for about an hour!

Stunning place though, maybe do a more gentle hike with the family next time!

I am going to the Lakes this week and the campsite is fairly close to Great Gable. I will give that a go if I can get up early enough one morning.

Just refreshed my gear ready for some cold weather hiking, I've been cycling but now it's time.to get walking again.
Best place I've been is loch muick in the Highlands, stunning scenery and so quiet, now looking for some walks in and around Lincolnshire which is generally flat but very green.

I climbed up Catbells in Keswick on Monday with a slight chest infection from having the flu over Christmas. My mate said it was easy but i must admit i was struggling to get my breath at times and thought about quitting, but glad i didn't.

Fantastic scenery from the top though but it was blowing a proper hooley and pissing down but it didn't dampen my spirits.

I'm looking forward to doing Mam Tor at weekend providing the weather is half decent.

I climbed up Catbells in Keswick on Monday with a slight chest infection from having the flu over Christmas. My mate said it was easy but i must admit i was struggling to get my breath at times and thought about quitting, but glad i didn't.

Fantastic scenery from the top though but it was blowing a proper hooley and pissing down but it didn't dampen my spirits.

I'm looking forward to doing Mam Tor at weekend providing the weather is half decent.

Catbells and Mam Tor are great walks. Both pretty easy going compared to some, you want to get yourself up Kinder via William Clough, that's a decent climb to the top.

Although I lived in a beautiful part of England, I didn't really appreciate exactly what it has to offer in terms of outstanding scenery.

The Lake District, Cumbria, Yorkshire Dales, Wales etc are inspiring. Unfortunately, although relatively fit, I'm now of an age where the more demanding sites would be a challenge and I regret not visiting them 30 or so years ago.

When I'm back next, whenever that will be, I have this fixation to make the walk up to High Cup Nick and just sit down, breathe in the air and admire the beauty.

Also Llyn y Fan Fach and Llyn y Fan Fawr, I could manage those quite easily.

A couple of years ago I walked up Pen Y Fan and loved it, although the walk back down murdered my legs, but still worth it.

Although I love the natural green, traditionally English countryside (of which we have pretty much zero here by comparison), the wild, expansive, barren scenery captivates me.

Attachments

• High Cup Nick.jpg
    High Cup Nick.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Pen-y-fan.......jpg
    Pen-y-fan.......jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 10
Although I lived in a beautiful part of England, I didn't really appreciate exactly what it has to offer in terms of outstanding scenery.

The Lake District, Cumbria, Yorkshire Dales, Wales etc are inspiring. Unfortunately, although relatively fit, I'm now of an age where the more demanding sites would be a challenge and I regret not visiting them 30 or so years ago.

When I'm back next, whenever that will be, I have this fixation to make the walk up to High Cup Nick and just sit down, breathe in the air and admire the beauty.

Also Llyn y Fan Fach and Llyn y Fan Fawr, I could manage those quite easily.

A couple of years ago I walked up Pen Y Fan and loved it, although the walk back down murdered my legs, but still worth it.

Although I love the natural green, traditionally English countryside (of which we have pretty much zero here by comparison), the wild, expansive, barren scenery captivates me.
The first time I visited High Cup Nick was in September last year after planning but never getting round to it for ages. I did a 10 mile circuit starting and finishing at Dufton. It was absolutely brilliant. I think you'll love it.

The first time I visited High Cup Nick was in September last year after planning but never getting round to it for ages. I did a 10 mile circuit starting and finishing at Dufton. It was absolutely brilliant. I think you'll love it.
Well Tommy, on that recommendation I have to do it, don't I?

Need travel issues to ease a bit before even contemplating it though....and cooperative weather when there and that's certainly not a given.

Well Tommy, on that recommendation I have to do it, don't I?

Need travel issues to ease a bit before even contemplating it though....and cooperative weather when there and that's certainly not a given.
I followed a circuit around the top of the cup. I hope to visit again and walk long the bottom to the head of the valley then up and along the top edge heading up to Murton pike.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.