Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Question for anyone saying this wasn't down to Pep tonight?

Would any of you have started Sterling?

Would any of you played Gundy as a defensive midfielder?

Yes, probably most would have stated Fernandinho, me included, but Chelsea man marked KDB and Foden, Chilwell was all over Mahrez and Kante was on a different level. Tactically Chelsea did a number on us in midfield. I’m not sure starting Fernandinho would have made a big difference, maybe, but it’s not certain. Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition. tonight is one of those times I think, as much as I hate to say it.

Sorry, not sure how my reply is attributed to you!

I have a couple of friends who went to Porto and were really disappointed when they saw the team selection of Sterling playing ahead of Fernandinho. In Pep's pre match interview, the journalists were also questioning it, even Noel Gallagher said the same. Fernandinho is the rock of the team. I was at the Etihad on Sunday and watched him. He is on the top of his game, playing with freedom and confidence, and yet he was dropped. That is an extraordinary decision and, (thanks for the letter you sent me this week Pep), but how do you explain not playing him?
The only positive I take from that is that I, and most on here, saw this from the start, and there was a kind of inevitability of how things turned out. Just play the best team for the final. It's not rocket science.

We need a way of unpicking 523s.

The middle is clogged, so you have to go wide. If their wide defenders have better games, you struggle. Chelsea under Tuchel. Lyon last year. Several other games which we've managed to win after a struggle.

Agree with this completely. We are so reliant on winger play. Chelsea very actively doubled up on our wingers on both sides and dared us to beat them centrally. We barely even tried.

I’m still in shock that we’ve played that line up and let (IMO) a pretty average team beat us in a cup final. They have very few players to be genuinely terrified of like PSG or Real Madrid, or even United have in their ranks.

Pep has done great things for us but I’d really like to hear him accept responsibility for once and admit he made an error and in hindsight shouldn’t have been so radical.
His ego won't let him, great coach, huge ego

We are the best team in England and Pep has brought us so much success. Those who think Tuchel has his number need not worry, he will be sacked by Chelsea by December anyways. Anyways blues, we have had a wonderful season and it was Pep who turned the season around after slow start.

Good night everyone and chins up. We will win this Competition one day.

I’m still in shock that we’ve played that line up and let (IMO) a pretty average team beat us in a cup final. They have very few players to be genuinely terrified of like PSG or Real Madrid, or even United have in their ranks.

Pep has done great things for us but I’d really like to hear him accept responsibility for once and admit he made an error and in hindsight shouldn’t have been so radical.
Real Madrid have 1 great player. I take your point though. CFC won tonight but we are a far better side.

We need a way of unpicking 523s.

The middle is clogged, so you have to go wide. If their wide defenders have better games, you struggle. Chelsea under Tuchel. Lyon last year. Several other games which we've managed to win after a struggle.
Predicted a loss in the poll, not because I thought Chelsea were a better team, but because they just have a system and formation under Tuchel that we’ve struggled against and been unable to overcome .

I'm over it already tbh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.