#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is what it is. I don't feel like he's not trying, so I can't be angry with him. If he was putting up half-arsed performances (like Leroy did for a lot of 18/19), it would be a different story. He didn't choose the system or the team selection and honestly he didn't even play particularly badly, so like others in this thread have already said, you can't blame him for tonight.

I do think it may be time for him and the club to part ways - it looks like he's out of ideas and the team has evolved tactically in a way that no longer suits him. Again, I'm not angry at him at all and will always love and respect him for all he's given us over the years. Just one of those where it feels like his time here has run its course. I'll admit I said the same thing about Stones last summer and he came back and proved me wrong, and tbf there's a chance Raz could do the same, but as I said, I feel like there's been a tactical evolution that's left him the odd man out and as opposed to Stones it's not as simple as him just slotting right back into the XI.
im not sure this tactical evolution will stick tbh im hoping we get back to a quicker and more direct style that plays to sterlings strengths next season. I'm sure we'll ditch the false 9 so that'll help sterling.

If tonight's line up was set up for him to shine, he failed to do so.

The next few months will show if he has a future in Pep's plans. Personally I didn't think he did to bad tonight. He wasn't a game changer by any means, but in a whole team of medocrity,, he's not the one I lay the most blame towards.

Tbh I’ll be astounded if he gets a new improved contract because he doesn’t deserve it after this season’s absolute shocking performances . Bad business and he should be sold in my humble opinion but I hope I’m wrong anc he comes back firing bug he is gonna have to really up his game .
Why would you be astonished? He played to tonight when he’s been shit and was handed the captains band. Absolutely he’ll get another contract. He’s peps favourite.

im not sure this tactical evolution will stick tbh im hoping we get back to a quicker and more direct style that plays to sterlings strengths next season. I'm sure we'll ditch the false 9 so that'll help sterling.
Sterling's change in form precedes the false 9.... He's looked off it ever since Sane and Silva stopped playing regularly. He would score more with a striker on the pitch because it would give him someone to link up with in the box, but the actual performances themselves have looked dodgy ever since, like, the start of 19/20. He scored that hattrick at West Ham on the first day and it's been downhill from there apart from a slight upwards trajectory after lockdown which absolutely plummeted after Lyon.

When he played on the left before, he had David to link up with. When he played on the right, he had Sane on the other end to score and create tap ins with. Mahrez/Foden/Gundo are completely different players, we won't regain that directness even with a striker.

On his current form I think he's absolutely shit.

Why Pep thought he should play is beyond me.

It's not just his selection but that so many other players had to be played out of position to accommodate him.
Which is why we lost the final! He’s rubbish!

Sterling's change in form precedes the false 9.... He's looked off it ever since Sane and Silva stopped playing regularly. He would score more with a striker on the pitch because it would give him someone to link up with in the box, but the actual performances themselves have looked dodgy ever since, like, the start of 19/20. He scored that hattrick at West Ham on the first day and it's been downhill from there apart from a slight upwards trajectory after lockdown which absolutely plummeted after Lyon.

When he played on the left before, he had David to link up with. When he played on the right, he had Sane on the other end to score and create tap ins with. Mahrez/Foden/Gundo are completely different players, we won't regain that directness even with a striker.
hes never really played that well on the left anyway in the way your saying. When hes on that side its all about goals when he plays on the left if we add a striker and get him back to 20 league goals a season and have a striker who scores that or more will it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.