My touchstone from Saturday is the FA Cup Final 1981

Didsbury Dave

It's been emotional. I'm back home now after what feels like months of rising tension and hassle as we jumped the hurdles one by one: the semis, the location, the flights, the hotels, the tickets, the tests, he paperwork, the cash...there was so much skin in the game, and such excitement out there in porto: for us old school blues this felt like it was going to be the end of our journey.

Karma bit us. This team has been delivering on the big occasions consistently. We haven't had a "big"'loss like this for a long time. I've been searching my memory for another game that hurt in the same way and all I can come up with is the Spurs final of 1981. I was only 11 but the feeling of expecting joy and being left with despair never left me, and I think most blues of my generation have never forgotten how that felt.

This was the modern day equivalent. A gutting defeat.

But this time is going to be different. I have total confidence that this team with this manager will lift this trophy in glorious fashion next year (1955 anyone?),
Or the year after, or very soon. It's coming.

This is just part of Manchester City's wonderful history. My faith is intact.

It's been emotional. I'm back home now after what feels like months of rising tension and hassle as we jumped the hurdles one by one: the semis, the location, the flights, the hotels, the tickets, the tests, he paperwork, the cash...there was so much skin in the game, and such excitement out there in porto: for us old school blues this felt like it was going to be the end of our journey.

Karma bit us. This team has been delivering on the big occasions consistently. We haven't had a "big"'loss like this for a long time. I've been searching my memory for another game that hurt in the same way and all I can come up with is the Spurs final of 1981. I was only 11 but the feeling of expecting joy and being left with despair never left me, and I think most blues of my generation have never forgotten how that felt.

But this time is going to be different. I have total confidence that this team with this manager will lift this trophy in glorious fashion next year (1955 anyone?),

A top post, thanks, just made me realise why yesterday feels so stomach churning, it’s that end of journey feeling you mentioned. That road’s now just a longer one and it’s given me a taste for the CL. I feel more sure than ever we will win it sooner than later. I know Pep will always go balls deep for every competition, but it can’t be done. Just want him to sod off FA and Lge Cups and focus on the two big ones.

A much needed post.
Welcome back, shame it's not victorious.

A top post, thanks, just made me realise why yesterday feels so stomach churning, it’s that end of journey feeling you mentioned. That road’s now just a longer one and it’s given me a taste for the CL. I feel more sure than ever we will win it sooner than later. I know Pep will always go balls deep for every competition, but it can’t be done. Just want him to sod off FA and Lge Cups and focus on the two big ones.
That's a good call. I'd be happy to do that, or just go easier on the team selections like the others do. We'd still end up in finals. Maybe a few less but it would be a price worth paying.

The whole game was like watching the Tommy Hutchinson own goal in slow motion for 2 hours. Still it only took us 30 years to put that right.
You know what made me think that this game feels similar? I went to the first game and was so certain we'd win the replay that I posed for victory shots waving my City scarf around Trafalger square the next day for my mum and dad. When we lost the replay I remember going in my room and crying my heart out. I couldn't believe it.

when I got back tonight my wife told me one of my lads was in his room crying an hour after the game, and I told her that story, but then realised that he will not have to wait 30 years for another chance like we did.

You are Jurgen Klopp and I claim my £5.

You know what made me think that this game feels similar? I went to the first game and was so certain we'd win the replay that I posed for victory shots waving my City scarf around Trafalger square the next day for my mum and dad. When we lost the replay I remember going in my room and crying my heart out. I couldn't believe it.

when I got back tonight my wife told me one of my lads was in his room crying an hour after the game, and I told her that story, but then realised that he will not have to wait 30 years for another chance like we did.
My day was upset after the replay, my mother said we might not get to another final for 20 years. I think she was over exaggerating at the time. It was the end of an era game - but the beginning of the end game was the QF v Spurs in 1993.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.