Bluemoon Angling Thread

@snorky is the man for advice on how to catch a shad, he's in Scotland this week sea-trout fishing.
It's illegal nowadays to fish for shad on the Wye, as they are protected.
If you are trout or chub fishing with a size 8 or 10 fly cast square in streamy water as it's getting dark and you catch one accidentally however.

It's illegal nowadays to fish for shad on the Wye, as they are protected.
If you are trout or chub fishing with a size 8 or 10 fly cast square in streamy water as it's getting dark and you catch one accidentally however.
Saw a picture of a big, weird Shad caught on the Wye yesterday by a barbel angler.

Saw a picture of a big, weird Shad caught on the Wye yesterday by a barbel angler.
That surprises me mate. I didn't know they took bait. Unless he was winding in and one took.

In the old days we fished into the dark for them. You could have 2 on at once if you fished a dropper. The river was alive with them. Good fighters and a pretty fish.

You're right, you can usually tell what you've hooked from the hit and the fight. Pike will hit with a real bang, often you'll see them. Perch will often tap-tap-tap as they chase the lure form behind trying to disable it. Pike swim faster in the water initially, coming up and down the water column and tailwalking, but then give up quick. Perch you can feel them shake the head as they keep lower in the water.

I'm sure I remember us having a conversation when we were both blanking in the winter about how much easier things will when the water warms up. I'm really chuffed for you because you've earned that fish.
ive done some very enjoyable miles up and down "my canal" i more than likely have caught more fish in one session on a commerical than ive done since my river/canal adventures have began, but every canal/river fish is so special to me, even the "one stripe" perch , not only that the wildlife and scenery

Attachments

• 20210618_102808.jpg
    20210618_102808.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 5
That surprises me mate. I didn't know they took bait. Unless he was winding in and one took.

In the old days we fished into the dark for them. You could have 2 on at once if you fished a dropper. The river was alive with them. Good fighters and a pretty fish.

Attachments

• E453B34F-80F4-46BB-8AF0-0C420E8705F7.jpeg
    E453B34F-80F4-46BB-8AF0-0C420E8705F7.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 17
ive done some very enjoyable miles up and down "my canal" i more than likely have caught more fish in one session on a commerical than ive done since my river/canal adventures have began, but every canal/river fish is so special to me, even the "one stripe" perch , not only that the wildlife and scenery
That's good that you enjoy proper fishing away from the lazy commercial morons mate. I tried commercials when they first started taking off mid 90s. I began to hate them pretty fuckin' quickly when fish welfare was neglected for greed and profit from fishery owners cramming as many fish in their waters as possible. Not only that, there's nowt worse than gobby anglers breaking the peace talking to each other on one side to another.

Give me a hard water with a tenth of the fish in and isn't busy because i cannot possibly catch a ton of F1s, and I'll be happy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.