#47 | Phil Foden - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn’t play on the right when he came on. He played as a sort of ten. Or was I pissed?
I know he came on for Mount but I thought we reshaped the team, looked more like RMF to me because most of the time he had the ball it was down the right hand side of the pitch, bar the one time he nearly played Kane in through the centre. Suppose that was just where the space was. Either way he's started 2 games so far, if I remember right and both times on the right wing.

Last edited:
he played mainly in the middle last night and was a big influence when he came on.

should be starting over mount
I'm not sure I agree with that, Mount was good and Foden came on to give us legs in pressing and keeping the ball(which he did I agree) but Mount was one of the better performers last night IMO. He did a lot of running for the team(defensively and in attack), he has some engine that lad.

Pep doesn't even think Foden is ready to start down the middle at senior level yet, if he had been playing there all season, I'd agree with you. I'd just like to see him get a chance in the position he's played best for City in, with England. We haven't seen it yet in this tournament.

not being funny but City’s level of play is 10x higher than that of England’s.
Yeah, that's true but I'm thinking in terms of the competition(international level is still tough) and where Foden is most comfortable, due to familiarity at senior level. It's different to youth football, I see what Pep is saying(I think, you can never be sure with Pep :) ). Maybe he is ready to be moved centrally next season, it's just he's not played there much yet, so it would be a gamble for England to start him there.

Last edited:
Why does Southgate keep playing Foden on the right? At least let him play on the left when he comes on for a bit, to get a feel for a the game. He's not been influencing games like he can, a little familiarity could help.

I prefer him on the right tbh if he’s being asked to take more risks with the ball, which is what England need for him to do more than what Pep asks of him.

I prefer him on the right tbh if he’s being asked to take more risks with the ball, which is what England need for him to do more than what Pep asks of him.
That's not what he's been doing down the right, he's been too safe if anything. I haven't checked the stats but I'm fairly certain his successful take ons and goal involvement ratios, per match are much lower than they are at City down the left. I think they'll be lower than Saka's been showing down the right for England when he has played too, which is why I don't think it's about the instructions he's been getting.

I'd prefer we at least try him down the left, where he actually has the experience at senior level. I suppose he's building that experience now with England but my point was his place isn't as secured in this team like Kane's or Sterling's. He might be more comfortable down the left(especially when coming on as a sub) which would help him get into the game faster and find the form we're used to seeing from him.

I have noticed, at least one of the times Grealish has come on, Southgate moved Sterling over to the right for him to have the left side. So I don't see where the reluctance is coming from, other than Sterling preferring that side. Maybe it's Foden saying he wants to play down the right because that spot is kind of open for someone to make their own.

I'm normally biased towards City players but I couldn't argue too much if Saka starts ahead of him down the right, based on how they've both done so far in the minutes they've played. Sakas been good to his credit, Foden is capable of more than he's shown.

Last edited:
Mount was crap last night however i think thats more down to the system.Sancho will probably come in for Saka.I think thats the only change.Say and moan all we want about Gareths tactics you cant knock him its working.
I dont think theres a chance sancho starts. He gave the ball away a lot against ukraine. Cant afford to do that against italy.
its either saka or foden.

He did a lot of standing about watching. Hes invisible when we have the ball.
I think he might be dropped to play five at the back as we did against Germany. I can see Southgate going for this to try to keep Italy out and tire them and then try to win it by bringing on attacking players from 60 minutes onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.