Italy v England | Euro 2020 Final

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think similarly to Croatia in the World Cup, England have good players at either end of the pitch, but teams with a good midfield can dominate the ball against us. I thought Henderson coming on would give us a bit more control, and it did, but he was pretty average compared to the previous games he came on.

Having said that, for all of their control, Italy didn't have a huge number of clear chances and their only goal came from a scrappy set piece, which involved a hell of a lot of luck for Pickford's save to rebound off the post directly into the path of Bonucci.
Agree with all of that mate. What we really lack is David Silva in the middle of the park. But doesn't everyone ;-)

Someone who can read and control the game, who is always in space, can always receive the ball and never lose it. Someone always able to make the little passes and the occasional brilliant through balls. We don't have anyone who can do that.

To me, Pickford is a pygmy, 3rd rate Joe Hart. Great shot-stopper, woeful distribution! I know I'm still sore from the capitulation, but I can't help but feel he wanted to twat it hard and far soley for the benefit of the cameras! It looked to me at one point Kyle was giving him pelters for him just twatting the ball out willy-nilly. Kyle is like us on here, spoilt by Eddy keeping possession of the ball.

To me, Pickford is a pygmy, 3rd rate Joe Hart. Great shot-stopper, woeful distribution! I know I'm still sore from the capitulation, but I can't help but feel he wanted to twat it hard and far soley for the benefit of the cameras! It looked to me at one point Kyle was giving him pelters for him just twatting the ball out willy-nilly. Kyle is like us on here, spoilt by Eddy keeping possession of the ball.
Forget talking about goalkeepers. Let's just face it, City would absolutely BATTER England.

Just back from the game and still a bit gutted. Fantastic start but the hand break got put on after that when we might have gone for it a bit more. Italy deserved it. The penalties were poor from both sides.

I think this England team have shown enough to give reason to believe that there is potential there. First half they were good, completely managed the best team in the tournament.Second half seemed to believe that they could just sit deep and manage the game out. That was stupid. Were those Southgate's instructions? Who knows? But potential for the coming World Cup. With or without Southgate is another matter.

Second half Italy changed their shape - pushed us back - so much so that we were pretty much a back 7 that meant we surrendered the midfield and lost all our attacking options. Mancini also produced a steady wave of changes that freshened up his side - he deserves huge credit for the way he did this. England just got out manoeuvred by a good coach and a team that implemented plan B very well. No shame in losing to Italy but is does show that tactical agility is required to win a tournament, a bit of luck and mental toughness. England are making good progress and lessons will have been leaned particularly around more flexible tactics. The real challenge is in preserving as much of the defensive ability we have developed when we pick a more attacking and creative midfield.

Mount should have come off and Henderson should have come on much earlier but instead he takes off two of the best players in Trippier and Rice first - granted they may have been absolute fucked and knackered.

Mount continued to be absolutely invisible and Saka was just ineffective ever since he came on, nervous and clearly not able to cope with the occasion *in my opinion*.

But the biggest mistake in my opinion was taking off Walker and Henderson just to bring on Rashford and Sancho for penalties... that is 100% down to Southgate. Why would you take two of your most experienced players off and bring on two young players just to take penalties in one of the biggest games of their lives?

And why would you let Saka - who had a pisspoor game let's be honest - take a penalty at all, let alone one of the first 5?
I agree Mount should have gone off sooner but I'm not sure Henderson was the right player to bring on in his place; he just didn't look fit.

Grealish? Again, didn't look fit.

To be honest I don't think we had enough options on the bench to counter the Italians aggressive game in midfield. Once Southgate brought the wide players inside it allowed the Italians to dominate in midfield, and we struggled from thereon in.

Over and over the same bullshit keeps being repeated here and everywhere else by fans and pundits. "Shame on the older heads who ducked out/bottle merchants." For the last fucking time .....Southgate chose the penalty takers!!!!
Are you really that naive? Southgate merely said that to deflect criticism away from his youngsters. If Shaw, Phillips, Raheem or Big Balls John had stepped forward, they would have been allowed to proceed.

Bobby.jpg

Very little time given to congratulate Italy. Proving we are a nation of bad losers again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.