Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I’m in South Wales now, carmarthen do be exact. In my sisters cottage (who’s English) who lives next to a brummie who lives next to a cockney!
Let’s be done with it and just get rid of the Welsh that are left here, scrap the Welsh language and call it West England.
But before the invasion, i’m going nip to Swansea to ask for our money back first -the thieving bastards, can anyone remember how much we paid for Scott Sinclair? ;-)

Was at Newborough beach on Sunday. We usually get there early and leave late. I like walking out to the island, walking on the beach towards Bodorgan, walking through the forest, BBQ. We spend all day there when we go.

Car park fees now £7. I remember when it was free (but they have improved the facilities).
Was there yesterday, really nice beach and superb views. Also went to LlanfairPG train station, by accident as we'd missed a turning. Didn't seem there was anything to do there.

I believe that North Wales is known as " The Scouse Riviera "
Mid Wales is Birmingham sur Mer where strangely enough most support Liverpool or claim to have allegiancies with the red side of Manchester, most not knowing really where either city is positioned in a geographical sense. I think Ian Rush and Brian Riggs had a lot to do with it

Mid Wales is Birmingham sur Mer where strangely enough most support Liverpool or claim to have allegiancies with the red side of Manchester, most not knowing really where either city is positioned in a geographical sense. I think Ian Rush and Brian Riggs had a lot to do with it
Barmouth seems very popular with folk from the Black Country

Barmouth seems very popular with folk from the Black Country
or The Bahamouth as it's known....see a few Villa, West Brom and Brum City shirts around in the summer. Most of the ' ex pats ' are from the West Midlands. They tend to stop there as the sea prevents them going any further.

You do realise that this was a marketing thing, it means something like a chicken, goat, bird whatever. It was to draw tourists in.

Why do the Welsh have such silly place names?

In this case to attract tourists

Placename and toponymy[edit]​

The original name of the medieval township, within whose boundaries the present-day village lies, was Pwllgwyngyll, meaning "the pool of the white hazels".[14][15] Pwllgwyngyll was one of two townships making up the parish, the other being Treforion; its name was first recorded as 'Piwllgunyl' in an ecclesiastical valuation conducted in the 1250s for the Bishop of Norwich.[16] The parish name was recorded as Llanfair y Pwllgwyngyll ('Llanfair' meaning "[St.] Mary's church"; y meaning "(of) the") as far back as the mid 16th century, in Leland's Itinerary. The suffixing of the township name to that of the church would have served to distinguish the parish from the many other sites dedicated to Mary in Wales.

Longer versions of the name are thought to have first been used in the 19th century in an attempt to develop the village as a commercial and tourist centre. The long form of the name is the longest place name in the United Kingdom and one of the longest in the world at 58 characters (51 "letters" since "ch" and "ll" are digraphs, and are treated as single letters in the Welsh language). The village is still signposted Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, marked on Ordnance Survey maps as Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll and the railway station is officially named Llanfairpwll, a form used by local residents. The name is also shortened to Llanfair PG, sufficient to distinguish it from other places in Wales called Llanfair (meaning "[St.] Mary's church").

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.