Callum Doyle | On loan at Leicester City

What sort of player is Callum Doyle?

He is a typical City EDS centre half - i.e. a good defender who is also good on the ball. City have an "holistic" approach to youth football with all the age groups playing in a similar style to the first team. The EDS team have several other decent central defenders including Taylor Harwood-Belis (spent part of last season on loan at Blackburn and now on loan at Anderlecht) and Luke Mbete so there seems to be a bit of a production line.

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

He is a decent defender and excellent bringing the ball out of defense. He will be used to playing for a team that dominates possession and plays out from the back. That may be a weakness at League One level where he may need to clear the ball quicker than he is used to.

What sort of attitude does he have?

Seems very mature for his age and took the step up to EDS football like a duck to water.

This is Doyle’s first stint in a senior side. Will he be able to make the step up to men’s football?

I think so but he may need to be taken out of the line-up for a rest at times as it is a long season.

17 is very young (unless you are Jude Bellingham!) - to be honest when I first heard that Sunderland had signed a Doyle on loan I assumed it was Tommy Doyle who is a 19 year old midfielder who is the grandson of two iconic City players (no relation to Callum).

He’s only 17 years old! Does Doyle have the maturity needed in League One, even at such a young age?

Not sure if anyone knows but so far he has done well with no stories emerging. Young players can be daft as shown by Phil Foden's antics in Iceland.

He’s already impressed Sunderland fans in pre-season. Do you think the defender will be able to keep such a high standard throughout the season?

I do not think any 17 year old can be expected to play consistently well for an entire season. League One will be a long slog and hopefully he can be taken out of the firing line if he does start to struggle.

Ideally he will do brilliantly for you then maybe have a loan for a higher placed team the following season after which he either makes our squad or gets sold for a decent fee to a team where he can thrive - Jack Harrison at Leeds is a great example of the latter.

Good luck for the season - I have had a soft spot for Sunderland since the game at Maine Road in May 1991.

They’re fairly lapping him up on RTG. One of them has him down as playing for England, 100 caps no less, and the majority are extremely effusive. Of course, one has to go and spoil it all by saying Doyle reminds him of Jonny F Evans.
To be fair I can see the comparison in the term of intercepting the ball and getting infront of the forward. Frightening that he’s 17 I was very impressed today. Some boy

To be fair I can see the comparison in the term of intercepting the ball and getting infront of the forward. Frightening that he’s 17 I was very impressed today. Some boy
I couldn’t tell if it was sunstroke or the ale that had them so giddy; probably the latter. ;-)
Glad he’s started so well and hope they‘re just as kind if his form drops.

I couldn’t tell if it was sunstroke or the ale that had them so giddy; probably the latter. ;-)
Glad he’s started so well and hope they‘re just as kind if his form drops.
I was there mate I’m a season ticket holder at Sunderland
This is the 4th season now in this league. He’s head and shoulders above all centre halves in this league

Another local lad? Anyone know if he’s a City fan?
I’ve asked this to someone who does know him and they were pretty sure he was a city fan. Nothing to suggest he isn’t. Although it doesn’t really matter much, been here since 2014 I think so whether he’s a fan or not he’s been here long enough to have a connection like any other fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.