Touring caravans

Having read all the replies OP there are a couple of things I would point out...
If you passed your test before ‘97 you have acquired or ‘grandad’ rights to tow a trailer, so no need to take the B+E (I think) test. Ignore the 750kg limit, that’s for unbraked trailers, the caravan has brakes. Try to ensure the caravan is max 85% of the weight of the car, you can go higher but it can be a bit of an insurance grey area in the event of an accident. Depending on the age of the van it shouldn’t need a stabiliser, these are now within the hitch.
oh and the best campsites are in France and Spain :)
Cheers phil @Blue Mist hasn’t got a clue that fucker doesn’t know what day it is:) just took my car for the tow bar 12 pin fitted etc £580 robbing cunts 1985 passed test old **** now pal thanks for the advise @yeseye is taking me for driving lessons on towing at £2.50 an hour thought it wasn’t bad

Cheers phil @Blue Mist hasn’t got a clue that fucker doesn’t know what day it is:) just took my car for the tow bar 12 pin fitted etc £580 robbing cunts 1985 passed test old **** now pal thanks for the advise @yeseye is taking me for driving lessons on towing at £2.50 an hour thought it wasn’t bad
No worries pal, give me a shout if there’s owt else. You’ll have a great time when you’re pitched up but if yer owt like me you’ll fucking hate towing it. And I drive artics for a living!

Used to have a touring caravan...never again.
It all starts so easy and cheap.

Then you realise you know nothing about towing/caravanning.
I don't mean the dragging around bit.

First off is the "nose weight". Get that wrong and you will be a nodding donkey.
In English that means you have to load the caravan up in a way that the tow hitch is a certain weight.
To heavy or too light brings big problems.

So you buy a nose weight scale.

Then you buy a anti snake stabiliser system. It only takes one severe wiggle to justify the price!

Then you buy little pads for the caravan levelling legs so they don't sink into the ground.

Then you have to buy little ramps to adjust the caravan on uneven ground.

The wife then wants an awning to attach to the side. No not that cheap one, yes the really expensive one.
Oh and add in a awning floor liner. Table chairs and heater.

Then you need a little step to get into the caravan.

Gas?, did i mention buy some gas?

Then there is the portable satellite dish/TV aerial.

Next up will be a caravan motor mover. You don't really need one, but boy it sure does impress your neighbours twice a year when it moves your caravan ten feet off the drive.

There are many many more things than listed above, but you get the gist.

Then the thing can sit on your drive day after day. It just gets dirty so you have to keep cleaning it. Problem is it isn't normal dirt. Caravans develop weird "black streaks". They are a bastard to get off and reappear just days later anyway!

When you finally have all the gear and you arrive at you caravan park, the fun begins right?
No, you will spend the next few hours levelling/adjusting and fettling the thing. Then she will insist the awning is put up. Basically forget the first day. You will be knackered from towing and setting up.

And then it will happen........you WILL have forgotten something vital.
It will normally be the blue hook up lead to connect your van to the electric supply.
I think i aged ten years in the two years we owned one.

Honestly, just pay for a static or go abroad in a hotel. I never moan about the price any more!

Last edited:
The Almondsbury caravan park is open for business this afternoon plenty of shed draggers camped up for the weekend just had to fight my way through them all . Loads of cars with surfboards on as well , if any of them make Devon and Cornwall the RNLI gonna be busy !!!

Used to have a touring caravan...never again.
It all starts so easy and cheap.

Then you realise you know nothing about towing/caravanning.
I don't mean the dragging around bit.

First off is the "Nose weight". Get that wrong and you will be a nodding donkey.
In English that means you have to load the caravan up in a way that the tow hitch is a certain weight.
To heavy or too light brings big problems.

So you buy a nose weight scale.

Then you buy a anti snake stabiliser system. It only takes one severe wiggle to justify the price!

Then you buy little pads for the caravan levelling legs so they don't sink into the ground.

Then you have to buy little ramps to adjust the caravan on uneven ground.

The wife then wants an awning to attach to the side. No not that cheap one, yes the really expensive one.
Oh and add in a awning floor liner. Table chairs and heater.

Then you need a little step to get into the caravan.

Gas?, did i mention buy some gas?

Then there is the portable satellite dish/TV aerial.

Next up will be a caravan motor mover. You don't really need one, but boy it sure does impress your neighbours twice a year when it moves your caravan ten feet off the drive.

There are many many more things than listed above, but you get the gist.

Then the thing can sit on your drive day after day. It just gets dirty so you have to keep cleaning it. Problem is it isn't normal dirt. Caravans develop weird "black streaks". They are a bastard to get off and reappear just days later anyway!

When you finally have all the gear and you arrive at you caravan park, the fun begins right?
No, you will spend the next few hours levelling/adjusting and fettling the thing. Then she will insist the awning is put up. Basically forget the first day. You will be knackered from towing and setting up.

And then it will happen........you WILL have forgotten something vital.
It will normally be the blue hook up lead to connect your van to the electric supply.
I think i aged ten years in the two years we owned one.

Honestly, just pay for a static or go abroad in a hotel. I never moan about the price any more!
and then you can talk about it to your new best friends, Kenneth and Dierdre and Patch, the one eyed jack russel terrier that shags everything, who have done exactly the same thing and pitched up 6 feet away from you.

and then you can talk about it to your new best friends, Kenneth and Dierdre and Patch, the one eyed jack russel terrier that shags everything, who have done exactly the same thing and pitched up 6 feet away from you.
Ken and dierdre? Where you camping, coronation street?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.