Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAG

Nor H.jpg

A New Format

New season, and a slightly new format ...

You'd already have noticed the kick-off time and date as part of the title itself (courtesy of @1.618034 's suggestion) - but there are a few more changes coming ...

These pre-match threads will continue to drop here as soon as the previous game finishes, so those wanting to jump into a debate about what's next can do so straight away ... but these threads will now start with just the header and the poll for starters.

My previews and all the stats etc. will now drop in either a couple of hours later, or sometimes the next day. Will try my best to do these as quickly as I can but there are two reasons for it: One, that has more to do with logistics than anything else ... now with us fans back in the stadiums, it's no longer going to be a matter of me getting up from my living room and coming upstairs to my study to post what I've already drafted. Coming back home from Etihad is about a 4-5 hours journey for me, and away games will obviously all vary.

Second reason is ... that way I can now also incorporate the game gone by (and also wait for the next opponent's current gameweek to be done etc. and all stats to be updated for both teams as well) and that way do a better analysis of what's to come instead of a lot of guess work that I currently do. So hopefully you'd see these write-ups link up a review of the game gone by with a preview of the game ahead in a more seamless way and provide better context.

Those who ignore these first posts anyway can continue to do so ... and for those who enjoy them, I will drop a quick post wherever the thread has reached to let you know when this first post has been updated!

Premier League Stats

As one would expect, the overall Head-to-Head record in the Premier League era is in our favour with us having won nine times (out of the 18) compared to their three wins, and the remaining six being draws. The last five Recent Meetings record has that infamous 3-2 loss at Carrow Road from 2019/20 season. But more surprisingly also has two nil-nils in there, both at their ground, so we have basically not managed to beat them in our last three visits there. Good thing is that this game isn't at Carrow Road and our record against them at home is pretty decent and the last time they visited Etihad, they were spanked 5-0 here.

H2H.jpg

The Form Guide below obviously doesn't count for much given it includes our last season's four (league) games and only one from this season (the one we'd like to forget quickly). And for them these stats are even older and include games from two seasons ago when they were last in the Premier League. Up until they played their opening game against Liverpool this season, their last game in the PL (last time around) was that 5-0 thrashing by us. The Season So Far stats cover just the opening weekend games for both, so not much to read in there yet, but here they are anyway. These stats will start to shape up in another four gameweeks, including this upcoming one.

Form.jpg

Before & After

It's never easy playing against the promoted teams early on in the season as they're well up for it and motivated to start well in the top-flight especially against big boys. And the bigger teams have players coming back in late from summer tournaments etc. and are just generally slow to get going. So this isn't an ideal game to kick-off at home, but then sandwiched between the two North London sides I guess we'll take it.

For them, getting beat by Liverpool on the opening weekend would have dampened that upbeat mood and early motivation from their camp a bit and then they have a Carabao Cup Round 2 game only a couple of days after us, so Farke might (just might) have half an eye on that one as that's surely more winnable.

This is how the schedule falls for the two clubs:

Norwich City
Sat 14 - 5:30pm - Liverpool (H) - PL
Sat 21 - 3:00pm - City (A) - PL
Tue 24 - 7:00pm - Bournemouth (H) - EFL Cup R2

Manchester City

Sun 15 - 4:30pm - Spurs (A) - PL
Sat 21 - 3:00pm - Norwich (H) - PL
Sat 28 - 12:30pm - Arsenal (H) - PL

Glaring Issues from Spurs (A)

We need a striker - yes ... but we also really, really, really need a left-back ... we've needed one since Clichy left. I don't understand why the club hierarchy has failed to sort it. Surely, they see it as well? I tweeted a week or so ago (let me go and delete that tweet first) ... I had a feeling that Mendy might prove everyone wrong and this might be his comeback season after that injury and he might get back to his Monaco best. How wrong was I; he has just proved it in two games since, the Community Shield and Spurs (A) ... Problem is Ake is looking as bad as Mendy (on present form and how he's playing) and then combining them two on that left hand side just compounds it ...

If we don't get a left-back this season (which looks highly likely), then Mendy needs to completely be sent all the way down the pecking order and kept for early rounds of Carabao Cup (maybe not even them) or any dead-rubbers at the end of the season. I have no doubt that next week on Zinchenko is our first choice (and only) left-back going into the season. We will also see Cancelo play on that side with Walker on the right and before Mendy gets picked to play there again, I'd rather Laporte or even Ake gets a run out ...

The striker is another issue, but I believe that is in the works and we will see Kane joining in a week two weeks. It's 16 days left in the transfer window and knowing Levy this will probably drag on till the end but listening to the Spurs players and manager pre and post match earlier today, I think the deal is pretty much done in the background and they know it.

Next: Norwich (H)
A Must Win Already?

When a top team has a start like ours that includes five games against Spurs (A), Arsenal (H), Leicester (A), Chelsea (A) and Liverpool (A) in the first seven then the other two games in that run (against Norwich and Southampton) become absolute must-wins ... of course it's early doors and every one would point to only the last season as a reminder that we are very capable of picking up points and going on a run later, but dropping any points against Norwich and Southampton in first seven (especially when both are at home as well) would be criminal in amongst this tough start.

Pep Farke.jpg

Guardiola said in an interview earlier this year (around late February or early March I think) that the only English team he watches for fun to relax is Daniel Farke's Norwich City (in Championship at the time) ... so he must know everything there is to know about them to help him prepare for this game. Also helps that by the time this games come around, our players who returned late, would have had another week of training and practice in those legs and those who didn't start against Spurs would be ready to get some real action and this is as good a game as any to bring them back in ahead of Arsenal and Leicester. Although looking at the first weekend's performances I'm not sure if Arsenal would be tougher or Norwich in our next two home games.

Norwich were well up for it against Liverpool early on but after the first goal went in with a bit of a lucky deflection falling to the feet of Jota, they pretty much collapsed there on and it was a rather easy game for Liverpool in the second half. Key here for us will be to score first, score early and the let's go build up a bit of goal difference as well.

Team Selection

I do feel for the manager during the early door premier league games. Not for the usual reasons that are thrown around that players are coming back from holidays and at different times etc. but because there are no mid-week games in first 5-6 weeks. That whole week off in between the first four Premier League games, five if you include the Community Shield (and including an international break as well) makes it harder for the manager to take someone out after just one game and then two games given to someone in a row (like we've just witnessed) means those who are out waiting, continue on the side-lines for almost three weeks before getting a chance and with Pep even then it might not be his turn yet so everything around the squad looks a little restless.

Post the first international break in September, when all mid-weeks are either covered by the Champions League or Carabao Cup, the games come thick and fast and rotation then doesn't bother players as much because whoever doesn't play one game knows there's another just a few days later ... and another and another ... We play our best football when we are playing every three days and the team as whole finds that rhythm even with changes because they all are happier getting some game time and of course get used to each other again after the break.

But I think the teams put out against Leicester and now Spurs (and especially the subs made) would give some idea of what the team against Norwich would look like ...

Zinchenko and Walker are nailed on starters at full-backs. Centre back partnership would be any two of Dias , Stones and Laporte. I'd prefer it to be Dias and Stones with Laporte getting some minutes towards the end for either or them or maybe even for Zinchenko ...

Rodri to start in the middle of the park alongside Grealish and Gundogan (who sustained a shoulder injury right at the end of the Spurs game) so it could be De Bruyne starting on the right. I think Bernardo is on his way out and would now only play for us in either an emergency or might get a ten minute sub appearance to say his goodbyes at the Etihad ... Grealish would make his home debut and expect him to get better with each game as well. He'd also want to show off in front of the home fans, and build on the back of a decent enough game against Spurs.

lineup.png

Up front then, Sterling and Mahrez would keep their starting place and Jesus might start in the middle. Although Torres had an excellent game against Spurs so he might keep his place in place of Mahrez or might come on later to relieve whoever has run himself to ground in the first hour.

Basically for those doing their fantasy teams, only certainties for City are Ederson and Dias (and KdB, when he's back to full fitness). Every one else has a chance of being rotated, so my guesses are as good as anyone's.

Score Prediction

Might not be the 5-0 like the last meeting of the two at the Etihad, and since we don't have our shooting boots on yet, don't expect it to be a goal-fest. Should still be a comfortable enough game for us though - a slow and steady start!

Manchester City 2 - 0 Norwich City

Ederson Walker Stones Dias Zinchenko Fernandinho KDB Grealish Sterling Mahrez Kane

Expect we'll be more ready for this game, need Walker, Stones and Zinchenko back. Kev hopefully ready to start as well. Hopefully signed Kane by then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.