Transfer Strategy

We definitely have huge blindspots

Cast your mind back to Peps first season the fullbacks had been left to become a massive issue, and we've still arguably not sorted left back with signings.

Striker this has been coming for years and we've not brought in either a top player or a young player who could be developed.

DM has been a problem for a while as well I think, Pep didn't fancy either of the options in the CL final.

It's made me angry, we've got Pep for 2 more years, we'll never have a manager this good again, it's once in 50 years appointment and we're I feel writing one of those seasons off because they couldn't be arsed signing a striker other than Kane.

All this money spent on the CFG scouting network and there isn't one striker other than Harry Kane identified who could improve on having absolutely no number 9. Bizarre.
Maybe Pep wanted Kane and only Kane. If so the club have tried their best to fulfill Pep's wishes and for whatever reason its not worked out.

We won the league with a false 9 but it required probably the best defensive performance Dec to March of any City side I've seen, be amazed if we manage it again.

If we go behind and need a goal who do we bring on if there's no striker on the books.
That system also worked when stadia were empty and games were played out at a walking pace. Even at the end of the season its limitations were becoming evident.

That point about who do you turn to is a good one. We fans look to the bench but so too do players. If they’re behind and missing chance after chance, then looking over and seeing half a dozen midfield wizards on the bench is hardly inspiring.

I sense something's not quite right and suspect our 10 year dominance is under real threat now. Of course this is why football can be cyclical.
The CAS result really was monumental for us. 2 years without CL would have been dreadful. Since then Khaldoon and the other execs have either got complacent and/or cocked up. First the ESL - they badly misjudged that and the apology has been pathetic. We have lost a true legend (forget Kun hadn't played much, that isn't the point). - we got rid of a legend and now there are none of VK, David, YaYa, Kun, Zabba going to play for us again and Khaldoon promised a replacement - to date none has arrived.
The strategy of not overpaying is now looking highly suspect - it might have worked pretty well to date but don't think so now. Fans say "we only want world class and the best to replace Kun" yet at the same time some say "it's good that we won't be held to ransom". Well I don't think you can have both. If we want Kane, Haaland, Mbappe etc then we've got to pay big money and big wages. Grealish was big money but he's a replacement for KDB/Gundog as far as I can see and he's needed now because of KDB's injuries.
I can see Rags getting Haaland because they will pay huge wages etc - and he would be awesome in PL in my view.
The other factor is rivals have strengthened and crowds are back. I'm afraid we might be "after you Claude" in the market but away from home they all fucking hate us- the games will be a lot harder this season.
I'd be happy with top 4 this season and hope we get Ronaldo for a season

Kounde to Chelsea for 50 mill euros.

Either our negotiation is awful or timing bad.

I tend to think both go hand in hand. Or clubs will forever screw us.

Following today’s developments in terms of Kane staying put and it looking likely we won’t be making any further signings this window I thought it’d be interesting to have a balanced discussion on our overall transfer strategy and wether the likes of Khaldoon (who promised the fans we would replace Aguero in his end of season interview), Txiki, Ferran and Omar should be scrutinised.

I actually see an argument for both sides here. One on hand I admire the fact we won’t pay over the odds for our targets whilst on the other it’s pretty concerning we failed to replace Kompany and had a poor season that year and have now seemingly repeated the mistake with Aguero.

We have consistently missed out on Peps targets during his tenure here such as Sanchez, Maguire, Jorginho, Kane to name a few. I noticed tonight Pep has confirmed he will be leaving after his contract ends- This of course could be totally unrelated to this topic but thought it was interesting in terms of the timing after missing out on Kane.

Debate away (politely please- we are all blues).
all this thread will achieve is the same old bollox we are reading on all the other transfer threads,people slagging city off, people defending city and loads of name calling, also you want a balanced discussion, you say you see not paying over the odds as a positive then claim not getting the players you've listed as negatives, when the reason we didn't get most of those players was we refused to meet the costs I see this thread as a means to cause more division and it should be pulled

I think a lot of this is people see the cash cow when we are seen as "interested" in one of their players. Napoli & Spuds just took it further by flat out refuaing to sell ti us. Everyone else uses our interest to cash out on the want aways like slab head and Sanchez.
Yes we have not signed any so called worldies , but we seem to do alright with the less famous grafters we have signed. I think the team working on transfers for us are dammned either way in any endeavour into the market. I also hate the way some players use our name to try and get a bigger payout elsewhere leacing sly and the rest to slam us for inflating the market, without ever questioning how much debt the rags are chalking up buying all these twats

This thread is too reactionary. We need some water to flow under the bridge before claiming we’re doomed because we’re run by clowns.
It's a shame because I think there's an interesting discussion to be had, but as I alluded to earlier the timing is all off.

It's like when we lose a game and 3 new threads pop up in the main forum.

What I would say is that the club must really think Grealish is the dog's bollocks to have laid out the way they had done, which is very promising.

Currently? Id say Chelsea. Its a concern with world class coach Tuchel also there.

Transfer strategy has gotten too complacent and needs a shake up IMO. We are already being caught if not overtaken by Chelsea.
Yeah working wonders for them.
In the past 4 season they have...1 CL and 1 facup. Fantastic.

Not finished above 3rd since 2016.

I wish we did transfers like they did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.