Running thread

I'm finally getting the hang of this running thing!

Just to recap, i've had health issues over the last few years which were fixed just before Christmas.
I was 16 stone + or about 5 stone overweight in March. (i'm in my fifties!)

I'm now 13 stone with another stone to go. I'll still be classed as overweight, but i do carry muscles due to my job.
My waist has dropped from 38 to 33 inch. 25+25 sit-ups each day has helped.
My running pace has dropped from around 9 mins per kilometre to around 5.30 mins per kilometre.

The most important thing is that i was Type2 diabetic, high cholesterol, fatty liver and no B12. My blood pressure last year reached over 200/160.

The good news is that i had a phone call yesterday saying i've managed to completely reverse my diabetes!
All my bloods have come back normal with only my cholesterol still being slightly raised.
My blood pressure has dropped dramatically. It is still slightly high at 130/90 so i'll have to stay on a low dose of Ramiprill for now.

I normally run around Dovestones. I love it but was getting a bit bored.
So over the last two months, i did my run, then walked up the Chew Rd to the Chew valley. It is very steep, and a good walk all on it's own.
I then realised it all added up to 10.1k.
So i decided to see if i could try and run most of it. I did the Chew hill first. Mainly walking and running when i could.
Coming down the hill i ran, then did the lap of Doves. The whole thing took about 1h10mins. Average pace of 7.15mins.

I've not yet managed to complete it by running all the way, but i'm getting close. My times are dropping each attempt.
It has had a dramatic effect on my fitness. I think the extra distance/time and variance has been better for me.
That is fantastic mate! You are smashing it.

Just back from my long run as part of mara training and just shy of 20 miles. I really felt the difference of running in the afternoon as I usually go out first thing. Got it done but it was hard work towards the end! I much prefer the morning run routine: cup of tea and off I go.

Just back from my long run as part of mara training and just shy of 20 miles. I really felt the difference of running in the afternoon as I usually go out first thing. Got it done but it was hard work towards the end! I much prefer the morning run routine: cup of tea and off I go.

Great effort. Ran 22 miles last Monday and 18 miles today in preparation for Manchester. Feel a lot happier knowing I can go the distance now and fingers crossed I can stay injury free.

Not sure what you take with you but found taking water with an electrolyte tab, rather than just water has made a difference to the latter stages of a long run.

Just to recap, i've had health issues over the last few years which were fixed just before Christmas.

I'm now 13 stone with another stone to go. I'll still be classed as overweight, but i do carry muscles due to my job.
My running pace has dropped from around 9 mins per kilometre to around 5.30 mins per kilometre.

The most important thing is that i was Type2 diabetic, high cholesterol, fatty liver and no B12. My blood pressure last year reached over 200/160.

The good news is that i had a phone call yesterday saying i've managed to completely reverse my diabetes!
All my bloods have come back normal with only my cholesterol still being slightly raised.
My blood pressure has dropped dramatically. It is still slightly high at 130/90 so i'll have to stay on a low dose of Ramiprill for now.

So over the last two months, i did my run, then walked up the Chew Rd to the Chew valley. It is very steep, and a good walk all on it's own.
So i decided to see if i could try and run most of it. I did the Chew hill first. Mainly walking and running when i could.
Coming down the hill i ran, then did the lap of Doves. The whole thing took about 1h10mins. Average pace of 7.15mins.

I've not yet managed to complete it by running all the way, but i'm getting close. My times are dropping each attempt.
It has had a dramatic effect on my fitness. I think the extra distance/time and variance has been better for me.
Just read your post. Superb mate keep going.

Is anyone doing the Great North Run? I forgot that I had a place until my running number turned up in the post the other day.

I had a place two or three years ago and had to defer after coming down with tonsilitis, then Covid happened so I just forgot about it.

I'm meant to be doing the virtual London Marathon three weeks later so I think I'll just treat the GNR as a gentle jog around the Toon and maybe add in a few miles so it's effectively an LSR.

I'm just back and showered after my weekly long run, which today was 20km. I'm sticking with my plan, but am a bit concerned that @Emms and @franksinatra are completing 20 and 22 miles, as part of their training for the Manchester Marathon. I'll keep to my plan rigidly though.

We had a few days away this week for my wife's birthday. On Tuesday evening, I ran 12km around Grange Over Sands, taking in the full length of the promenade between Kent Bank and Grange. The weather was glorious, and it was a very enjoyable run.

On Thursday evening, I ran 8km in and around Cartmel, where we spent two nights. It is race weekend, so we had the added atmosphere of horse racing preparations going on in the village all around us. It's a lovely village, and a great place to run as long as you don't get lost.

I completed today's 20km in 2 hours and 28 minutes, approximately 7 minutes 25 seconds per km. I would have been a bit faster, but I took a path through a field, and had to walk a bit in between my 5th and 6th kilometers. My legs are feeling it now, but I'll feel good in the morning.

Only six weeks to go!

I'm just back and showered after my weekly long run, which today was 20km. I'm sticking with my plan, but am a bit concerned that @Emms and @franksinatra are completing 20 and 22 miles, as part of their training for the Manchester Marathon. I'll keep to my plan rigidly though.

We had a few days away this week for my wife's birthday. On Tuesday evening, I ran 12km around Grange Over Sands, taking in the full length of the promenade between Kent Bank and Grange. The weather was glorious, and it was a very enjoyable run.

On Thursday evening, I ran 8km in and around Cartmel, where we spent two nights. It is race weekend, so we had the added atmosphere of horse racing preparations going on in the village all around us. It's a lovely village, and a great place to run as long as you don't get lost.

I completed today's 20km in 2 hours and 28 minutes, approximately 7 minutes 25 seconds per km. I would have been a bit faster, but I took a path through a field, and had to walk a bit in between my 5th and 6th kilometers. My legs are feeling it now, but I'll feel good in the morning.

Only six weeks to go!

I would not be concerned. One of the reasons I ran the 22 miles was I had done quite a bit on the trails, with a couple of races and hill runs so was a little concerned I did not have the ‘time on my feet’ and I was not use to running on roads/tarmac.

Good to have a plan to follow. I have not ran as frequently of late and I have struggled to follow a plan and so I have gone more with how I feel and what I fancy doing. Its possible I wont do as well as expected on Marathon day but I was finding the plans quite restrictive and felt like I was missing out on stuff, a bit of the enjoyment of running, while focusing too intently on the Marathon.

Funnily enough I stayed in a place called Meathop, in May, which is circa 1.5 miles from Grange over le Sands train station (past the golf course and up the hill). Cracking run across the Promenade and a lovely down to earth cafe on the front as well.

Last edited:

Only six weeks to go!
I’m doing London on Sunday 3rd October

Brilliant work. It sometimes takes a trigger like that to set us all off on the road to a new healthy running lifestyle but you'll be hooked on it now. For me the winter months are the best. Something about getting out of the house when you know the "old you" would be sat home being a couch potatao.

Got the stockport hatters half marathon week sunday (5th Sept)

And currently, despite all the aches and niggling pains i have.

Still unsure what trainers to wear.

I have the following:

Adidas Ultraboost HD
Adidas X9000
Nike Pegasus Trail 2

Each all have had their uses when running, with this being part road and trail I don't know what to go for.

X9000 can start to hurt (especially in the laces) but are more pratical

Whilst my Nike Pegasus i feel like i am running with weights attached to the bottom of my feet, and not as comfy to run in.

Anybody know what's best to go off? (can't buy another new pair of running trainers unfortunately)

Legit not looking forward to this now haha.

Ankles constantly hurt, but il plow through it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.