Maine Road or Etihad

both have now got deep manchester city fans DNA running through them

loved maine road and all the good and bad times but football was a lot simpler back then
the etihad got that cocky king of the castle vibe to it because its not known anything else really

i am in both camps but if i was pushed maine road was magic

You can’t sustain a pub based on one to three matches a month. The pubs closed because the houses were demolished. When more houses are built in the area maybe there will be pubs reopening? Maybe not?
Residents in the new flats close to the old Bank Of England in Ancoats have made enquiries for it to be done up and reopened. It was on one of the North West (BBC/ITV, can’t remember) News programmes a while ago.

If Maine Rd had been redeveloped properly we would have not have needed to move. Ibrox Park was a similar stadium in an inner city location, but sensible redevelopment turned it into a magnificent modern stadium without losing the atmosphere.
No argument the Etihad is a superb stadium, but can't help feeling we lost a little of the club's soul in the move. I had and loved my match day rituals at Maine Rd, but an old man now I would have changed my behaviour anyway. So in an ideal world Maine Rd and my youth back please, in the real world the Etihad is excellent.
You can’t compare Ibrox with Maine Road. Maine Road was hemmed in from all sides by housing. This made redevelopment very difficult. Mind you Swales and company made a bigger mess than they should have.

Ibrox had plenty of space and was developed with a lot of care and respect for history. They retained the old main stand and added a new deck. Great stadium, shame about the team!

Liverpool managed to redevelop in situ by scaring out the locals, buying out some and encouraging rats to flourish in those properties kept empty.

I think that benefits of City moving to the Etihad will be increasingly felt. Having the club headquarters, the Minihad, the training facilities, and the main Stadium all together is ideal. A few bits of development around the Etihad including the Arena and hotel will improve the feel of the place.

You can’t compare Ibrox with Maine Road. Maine Road was hemmed in from all sides by housing. This made redevelopment very difficult. Mind you Swales and company made a bigger mess than they should have.

Ibrox had plenty of space and was developed with a lot of care and respect for history. They retained the old main stand and added a new deck. Great stadium, shame about the team!

Liverpool managed to redevelop in situ by scaring out the locals, buying out some and encouraging rats to flourish in those properties kept empty.

I think that benefits of City moving to the Etihad will be increasingly felt. Having the club headquarters, the Minihad, the training facilities, and the main Stadium all together is ideal. A few bits of development around the Etihad including the Arena and hotel will improve the feel of the place.
Maine Road had plenty of space behind every stand to develop them significantly, especially the main stand and the Kippax

spent lots of time at both, Etihad ticks many more boxes than maine road, most of all we would not be where we are now had it not been for the move ( no punt tended )
although there are great memories from maine road, always felt deep down we had to move rather than redevelop. As time went by many other football clubs passed us on stadium quality & facility. Now we have one of the best stadiums in the prem, streets ahead of the swamp.
To try to re build MR, absolutely no way could we cram in what we have now and thats without including the best training camp in Europe. To have this next door to the stadium has huge benefits.
Also to have all the new build going on around the stadium, millions of pounds are being pumped in to the blue side of Manchester, OT looks like its falling to bits with no investment or growth around it, worrying times for their future but they have history and Ronaldo.

Maine Road had plenty of space behind every stand to develop them significantly, especially the main stand and the Kippax
Where was the space behind the Main Stand? It was bang uo to the road with houses on the other side of the road. Well it was the last time I was there. There was no real space behind the North Stand. The Mistakes were were made in the Platt Lane rebuild and a lot more seats could have been fitted in with a better design. As for the Kippax rebuild, it was enormous, but it had very few seats due to bad design.

I don't think there was anywhere near enough space around Maine Road to develop an adequate stadium. Swales came up with a 35,000 seater stadium when 45,000 was possible. I don't see how a 55,000 seater let alone a 60,000 seater stadium being able to be built there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.