Applauding opposition goals

Applauded the Charlton goal in the promotion clincher in 85 and ex blue Andy May's pen for Huddersfield a couple years later. As we were 5:0 and 9:0 up at the time not quite the same is it?
Like many blues, I applauded a 'downtrodden ' looking Ricky Villa off the pitch when he was subbed in the 1981 Cup Final on the Saturday. Obviously wouldn't have been so gracious if I knew what was going to happen 5 days later!!

I went away to WBA, I took my mates lad who was a baggies fan, we were sat in the home end.
I always just watch the game and don’t cheer etc.
Aguero scored a really good goal and one of the baggies fans stood up and applauded it.
He said to me in that Black Country accent
”You just got to appreciate class mate” so we appreciated class together.

I was just watching that KDB belter against Leicester when he smashed it in the bottom left corner from outside the box. A chap a few rows back in the Leicester end is politely applauding the obvious moments of brilliance.

It got me thinking back to the days when City were the underdog without the world class names. I personally remember Arsenal with Henry, Pires et all coming to Maine Road and absolutely taking us to the cleaners but some moments you just have to appreciate the immense ability and I vividly remember a fair chunk of the crowd clapping at some moments of Arsenal play.

So, have there ever been moments where you have put football rivalry aside and just thought fuck it - that’s what the beautiful game is all about from an opponent?
Messi at Eastlands
Berbatov as a lone centre forward at Eastlands

Paul Gascoigne for Spurs at Maine Road in December 1990 - the match where Norwegian Tv (where it was broadcast Live) asked City to wear the maroon 2nd kit, and Spurs wore yellow, because it was a bit foggy... Gazza picked the ball up just inside our half, played a 1-2 and picked the ball up on the edge of out box, moved forward and slid it under Coton under pressure from our defenders.... many City fans in the Main stand, stood up and applauded... sublime...sheer class....
Was that the same game where Gazza took the piss out of Lake's ears?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.