Tennis Thread

I really like tennis, well I do watch the four Majors. Admittedly, I don’t actually watch women’s tennis though.

But anyone can pick up a tennis racket for a few quid and get down their local park. Wythenshawe Park has a tennis club. There’s nothing privileged about it at grassroots, it’s not polo. I’d reckon parents can spend less on tennis gear for their kid than they do football boots, Astro trainers and kits.
Yeah I think the posh reputation is more from the fans than the players. That and the idea of posh people having their own tennis coach and a court at their house. Having said that, it's definitely more of a middle class sport in the same way that rugby union is (in England at least). There's no reason it needs to be, and nothing stopping working class people taking it up, but culturally it's still a slightly posher sport.

lets hope she can keep her feet on the ground and not be a flash in the pan and never find it again
I think she's going to become even more amazing. I saw her in like round 3 and without a word of a lie, said to the Mrs, right there and then, "the last time I saw any newcomer like this was when I first saw Roger Federer at Wimbledon". She is THAT good.

I didn't predict she'd win the whole thing because of course there's luck here and there and no-one knew how she would handle the pressure as it racked up. But as soon I saw her play I said to the Mrs, she CAN win the whole thing, and I am not even remotely surprised she did. She is quite remarkable.

She has a very decent serve - particularly her 2nd serve which is like rock solid. She is the best returner of the ball in women's tennis, period. She has an amazing backhand, great forehand, great volleyer, great movement. Her only weakness is overheads. But other than that, she is phenomenal. And as we've seen, she has the heart of a lion.

She didn't even play that well against Fernandez. She missed loads of shots she had not been missing all tournament> She bottled break chances, again which she had not done all tournament. Despite what people might think, she was obviously very nervous. Once that calms down after a few more tournaments, she'll be even better. And of course a few more last 16's, quarters and semis etc and she'll soon be seeded like 8 or 9 or something, meaning she'll go deep into every tournament she plays.

If she doesn't become world number 1 and go on to win a hat full of slams, I will eat my pubes.

Yeah I think the posh reputation is more from the fans than the players. That and the idea of posh people having their own tennis coach and a court at their house. Having said that, it's definitely more of a middle class sport in the same way that rugby union is (in England at least). There's no reason it needs to be, and nothing stopping working class people taking it up, but culturally it's still a slightly posher sport.
Not entirely true it is a cheap sport to begin with however to succeed you need expensive coaching and have to tour the country playing in tournaments that is before international events etc
Excellent to play though you can join Wythenshawe for £20 however more expensive clubs in Wilmslow and Bramhall are only around £180 per year
Get playing it’s great

I think she's going to become even more amazing. I saw her in like round 3 and without a word of a lie, said to the Mrs, right there and then, "the last time I saw any newcomer like this was when I first saw Roger Federer at Wimbledon". She is THAT good.

I didn't predict she'd win the whole thing because of course there's luck here and there and no-one knew how she would handle the pressure as it racked up. But as soon I saw her play I said to the Mrs, she CAN win the whole thing, and I am not even remotely surprised she did. She is quite remarkable.

She has a very decent serve - particularly her 2nd serve which is like rock solid. She is the best returner of the ball in women's tennis, period. She has an amazing backhand, great forehand, great volleyer, great movement. Her only weakness is overheads. But other than that, she is phenomenal. And as we've seen, she has the heart of a lion.

She didn't even play that well against Fernandez. She missed loads of shots she had not been missing all tournament> She bottled break chances, again which she had not done all tournament. Despite what people might think, she was obviously very nervous. Once that calms down after a few more tournaments, she'll be even better. And of course a few more last 16's, quarters and semis etc and she'll soon be seeded like 8 or 9 or something, meaning she'll go deep into every tournament she plays.

If she doesn't become world number 1 and go on to win a hat full of slams, I will eat my pubes.

Spot on she reminds me of Steffi Graff

yep a very good young talent with bags of promise

one or two things from yesterday and the us open really is her ball toss maybe its nerves or the crowd noise
but its the littlest things am picking up on. also she goes to the power shot a bit to much when sometimes it would be better to work the other player around the court.

the ladies tennis was a aging one and needed a couple the new faces and stars to sake it up
but lets just hope we can rap emma up in cotton wool and don't ask for to much to soon

Spot on she reminds me of Steffi Graff
What amazes me is her timing. She was a little more passive against Fernandez, allowing Fernandez to dictate more that previous games - although Fernandez is clearly brilliant in her own right mind you, so that's hardly suprising.

But when she wants to, she can take the ball so early, really stepping in to it and hitting it on the rise. Some of the returns she hits in the previous rounds were just ridiculous. People might think that e.g. Sakkari didn't play well against her, and that's true. But why? Because every time Sakkari hit anything less than a sublime first or second serve, Raducanu just ripped it. Sakkari found herself doing many double faults because she knew anything remotely short is going to get put away. Quite astonishing really. She just swept players aside like they were amateurs.

Not entirely true it is a cheap sport to begin with however to succeed you need expensive coaching and have to tour the country playing in tournaments that is before international events etc
Excellent to play though you can join Wythenshawe for £20 however more expensive clubs in Wilmslow and Bramhall are only around £180 per year
Get playing it’s great

even better still find a good wall and play vs wall ? its the wall you can never beat and the hard you hit the ball the faster it comes back

yep a very good young talent with bags of promise

one or two things from yesterday and the us open really is her ball toss maybe its nerves or the crowd noise
but its the littlest things am picking up on.
She tosses it very high - not a bad thing necessarily and better than not high enough. But it does make it more difficult and also I don't know how she will manage when it gets windy. Although TBF Ivan Lendl managed OK with same.

Get playing it’s great
I've got a fucked ankle. I can run in a straight line, but I don't think I could do all of that turning any more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.