If Celtic and Rangers are so big.. how come they only have 1M and 500k instagram followers?

Perhaps Celtic and Rangers fans are like me and dont do social media, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc !
Well it's an interesting point, because that might suggest an older average age of fan. I wonder if younger Scottish fans, particularly those outside of Glasgow, are more attracted by the bright lights of the English league nowadays.

But obviously they're big in the sense that they get similar attendances to big Premier League clubs, which is pretty impressive when you think about the quality of the football on offer. And that's worth far more than a few million social media followers, even if that does get you a bit of extra advertising revenue.

Well?

Rangers have less following than some Championship teams....

In fact, both old firm teams perform poorly on every social media site.
SambaStyle. I see you joined this forum in 2009. I assume your parents joined for you on the day you were born???
And btw. If you want the real answer it is because Instagram doesn’t make you a “fan”. All these social media following shit makes you just that -a “follower” at best. Probably someone who uses it to find out the result when they are out shopping with the missus (or outside playing with their friends) . Someone said we have 26 million followers but we haven’t sold out Wednesday. I bet at least 75 percent of our “followers” don’t even know we have a game.

Exactly. Rangers & Celtic's worldwide following is mostly made up of ex pats, Scottish or Irish that have relocated. They have supporters clubs all over the world, bars in a lot of tourist places in Spain, Turkey & the like.

However, they will have very little presence in the likes of Africa & Asia where a high proportion of the Social Media followers will come from.

The EPL is so big that like other parts of the world, a lot of people in Scotland have an EPL 2nd club. I myself are guilty of that. The league itself is the brand, more so than any individual club.
The Big EPL teams over here get a few ex pats watching in the pub plus lots of local US fans. The old firm games I have seen have a few old half cut Scottish guys and zero US fans. City v Arsenal got way more US TV viewers than Rangers V Celtic. And globally that will be more pronounced.

SambaStyle. I see you joined this forum in 2009. I assume your parents joined for you on the day you were born???
And btw. If you want the real answer it is because Instagram doesn’t make you a “fan”. All these social media following shit makes you just that -a “follower” at best. Probably someone who uses it to find out the result when they are out shopping with the missus (or outside playing with their friends) . Someone said we have 26 million followers but we haven’t sold out Wednesday. I bet at least 75 percent of our “followers” don’t even know we have a game.
Someone's mad!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.