Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

Look where we were at this stage last season, bad day at the office yesterday, we have a good few every season , we will be fine.
I fully expect the lads to show up and get something at Chelsea next Saturday ..
The doom mongers on here never learn ….!

I hope so but I really will be amazed if we beat Chelsea. They look too strong and they actually have a striker.

Pep asked the fans to turn up, which we did. Shame he forgot to tell the team to turn up as well.

Southampton we’re timewasting from the first whistle which the ref failed to stamp out - 2 mins time added on at half time? You sure? But Southampton played well when there weren’t fucking around with imaginary injuries - the constant stop/start didn’t help us - but we struggled to get past their front press. Some of our passing lazy, some sublime. One of those days. Haven’t seen the replays of the penalty or disallowed goals yet but neither was given so don’t really care.

That was as bad as we have played in a long time.

My hope this season lies with Foden. Our other superstars don't look capable of lifting us when we need it. Grealish is flash but I want goals and assists. We had that in that position already. KDB has lead in his boots that will take 3 months to slowly transmute into gold. All hope lies with Foden and Mahrez. They are our devastating players. Back to the false 9. I don't think you will see City play with a front 3 against good sides this season. We just don't have the power in defensive midfield or the quality down the middle so the false 9 suits us as it plays to our strengths and covers our weaknesses.

Of course we are better than we played yesterday but I'll be surprised if Chelsea drop many points this season. Liverpool also look very determined. This is their last season. I struggle to see us finishing in front of either of them.

One of the other things I noticed was the lack of options for players at times, if you look at when Walker lost the ball for the penalty, he had one option but didn’t take it and that was to play back to Dias, Bernardos space had been cut out, Fernandinho was slow to get there, in previous seasons every time a player gets the ball they had 2/3 options to pass to quickly, yesterday it seemed very slow for people to come across to support.

It was incredibly bad but at least we didn’t lose. On another day Foden taps the rebound in at the end instead of Sterling and we steal a win but it just wasn’t to be.

Although we all wanted a striker and were worried that we’d have games where we wouldn’t be able to breakthrough, today was more than just that as the entire team was atrocious so it wasn’t even a case of us creating chances that there was no one to finish in honesty. But I do think putting 5 past two hopeless teams who couldn’t defend papered over the cracks that teams that can dig in and defend properly will expose.

There was no Sergio to take a half chance today and we don’t have a Yaya to smash one in from distance if we’re struggling either. If plan A doesn’t work then it’s hard going and it was obvious after 10 minutes how the game was going to pan out as we weren’t at the races.

Just got to take the point, move on and things can only get better after that shitshow. Get KDB and Phil back into the groove and hopefull Stones and Rodri back and we’ll be ok as long as the gap doesn’t get too big too quick so the next 3 months are crucial.

I think you're being harsh on Torres.
We missed him today and even though he isn't your traditional number 9, he's proved for us and Spain that he knows where the goal is and can score regularly.
I agree he is a good finisher...more about mentality, physically and killer instinct...he doesnt have the attitude for .e that a striker needs...but he may have to do as a stop gap

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.