It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was in his position I'd have made it my business to source an alternative that was good enough.
That's his job not mine.
Throwing money at a random striker is not within City’s business model. People were suggesting Andre Silva in the summer, he’s absolutely gash. I can’t think of any striker that would have been a guaranteed success, that is what you need when you’re spending millions on a striker that is going to lead the line for years. If it means going a year without winning the league then so be it, we can’t be wasting close to £100m on a striker that isn’t good enough.

We haven't got any at the moment that's the issue.
So you’d have bought a stop gap that might not improve the team and not waited for the right striker to be available, doesn’t sound like a good plan to me. Nor it seems the team of people, from the manager up to Khaldoon that have built our most successful squad over the years.

So you’d have bought a stop gap that might not improve the team and not waited for the right striker to be available, doesn’t sound like a good plan to me. Nor it seems the team of people, from the manager up to Khaldoon that have built our most successful squad over the years.
A stop gap would have improved the team in so far as at the moment we don't have a focal point, a physical presence or a clinical finisher.

Exactly. There’s a reason why it was Kane or nothing. I think it’s well known that the club often have alternate targets in the transfer windows, but this year it was different with Kane. I can’t think of any striker that would have done the job in the long term for us, so Txiki, Omar and their scouting team probably felt the same.

Throwing money at a random striker is not within City’s business model. People were suggesting Andre Silva in the summer, he’s absolutely gash. I can’t think of any striker that would have been a guaranteed success, that is what you need when you’re spending millions on a striker that is going to lead the line for years. If it means going a year without winning the league then so be it, we can’t be wasting close to £100m on a striker that isn’t good enough.
Surely there is someone playing somewhere not costing £100m that could lead the line for us. We put in plenty of balls yesterday that any striker worthy of the name would have gobbled up

A stop gap would have improved the team in so far as at the moment we don't have a focal point, a physical presence or a clinical finisher.

Stop gaps are potentially expensive and if they flop, they’re on the books for years and you can’t get rid of them. Short term not signing a striker may hurt us, but in the long run it could and I reckon it will be the right call.

Surely there is someone playing somewhere not costing £100m that could lead the line for us. We put in plenty of balls yesterday that any striker worthy of the name would have gobbled up

Perhaps Danny Ings, but again, he’s not the answer long term and he’d likely be on a 3/4 year contract. We’d always be looking at signing a new striker next summer with Ings on the books taking up wages.

Might might not, they might disrupt our passing so we create less. They then are hard to move on blocking the right striker being bought when available, because the the money is spent or squad numbers not right. Sounds pretty much the short term planning united have followed for a few years. We look further ahead than that, we know what we want and are prepared to wait, and if we don’t win the league this year but are better long term then so be it.
Whatever the reason, the club had a reason, and their record has earned some sort of trust.

From what we know, based on reliable sources, at different points we made moves in the direction of signing Haaland, Kane and Vlahovic. For different reasons, couldn’t get any of them done. It was never Kane or bust and we weren’t that precious about a name either. We wanted a striker and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.