Alcohol, hints, tips, advice etc.

Been following this topic for a while, and there's some really helpful and inspirational posts in here that I'm thankful for reading.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that I have a problem with alcohol. I've probably had a drink most days over the course of the last 16/17 years (since university basically). For the most part, a couple of beers on a weekday, then anywhere between 4 to 8 pints on a Friday and on a Saturday. I always said to myself that it was OK, and figured I was perfectly in control of it, and was simply making a choice to drink because I enjoyed it, not because I was craving it.

During periods of high stress, my weekday consumption would almost always increase, and then I'd reign it in again a bit (but not stop). Over the last 18 months, with the lockdowns, that alcohol intake has probably doubled. Weekday evenings easily Knocking back 4,5,6 beers, and god knows how much at the weekends. Working from home, and not having to drive in the mornings definitely impacted my attitude towards how much I was allowing myself to drink. I started noticing that sometimes I was opening a beer when I didn't even really want one. Kind of forcing it down and then feeling like absolute crap. Put on about 2.5 stone, blood pressure shot up (apparently far too high for a 36 Yr old), mood all over the place.

After reading posts in here, and the William Porter book (which really resonated a lot) I thought I'd test myself out and see how I got on without the booze for a bit. Did a couple of weeks without any, and after about a week noticed my sleep dramatically improved. I hadn't actually realised how bad sleep had been before. Swapped out an evening beer for an evening kombucha, which was actually alright too. Lost almost half a stone in those two weeks aswell. Blood pressure readings come right down (though I did also start meds for that). Got back into the gym a bit, and started using the usual drinking time to be more productive. Then yesterday, went to the match, was on the beer all day as per usual, slept terribly, and feel dreadful and irritable today. I hadn't realised what impact drinking was having on how I felt and behaved.

Stupid thing is, I have a bone marrow disorder, and while I'm 'allowed' to drink, the docs always advise in moderation. Time to re-evaluate and change this relationship with the booze.

Been following this topic for a while, and there's some really helpful and inspirational posts in here that I'm thankful for reading.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that I have a problem with alcohol. I've probably had a drink most days over the course of the last 16/17 years (since university basically). For the most part, a couple of beers on a weekday, then anywhere between 4 to 8 pints on a Friday and on a Saturday. I always said to myself that it was OK, and figured I was perfectly in control of it, and was simply making a choice to drink because I enjoyed it, not because I was craving it.

During periods of high stress, my weekday consumption would almost always increase, and then I'd reign it in again a bit (but not stop). Over the last 18 months, with the lockdowns, that alcohol intake has probably doubled. Weekday evenings easily Knocking back 4,5,6 beers, and god knows how much at the weekends. Working from home, and not having to drive in the mornings definitely impacted my attitude towards how much I was allowing myself to drink. I started noticing that sometimes I was opening a beer when I didn't even really want one. Kind of forcing it down and then feeling like absolute crap. Put on about 2.5 stone, blood pressure shot up (apparently far too high for a 36 Yr old), mood all over the place.

After reading posts in here, and the William Porter book (which really resonated a lot) I thought I'd test myself out and see how I got on without the booze for a bit. Did a couple of weeks without any, and after about a week noticed my sleep dramatically improved. I hadn't actually realised how bad sleep had been before. Swapped out an evening beer for an evening kombucha, which was actually alright too. Lost almost half a stone in those two weeks aswell. Blood pressure readings come right down (though I did also start meds for that). Got back into the gym a bit, and started using the usual drinking time to be more productive. Then yesterday, went to the match, was on the beer all day as per usual, slept terribly, and feel dreadful and irritable today. I hadn't realised what impact drinking was having on how I felt and behaved.

Stupid thing is, I have a bone marrow disorder, and while I'm 'allowed' to drink, the docs always advise in moderation. Time to re-evaluate and change this relationship with the booze.
Acknowledging the problem is the first step to addressing it. Hope you get it under control and get yourself back on track health wise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.