Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

So we need to make those points back somewhere else and I think we would need a higher tally this season for title than last one.

It was always obvious that the winner this year would need more points than last season and that the style we were playing couldn’t be transported to the dynamic of packed stadiums.

Right now we are still suffering from the Champions League final. The way Tottenham beat us was 100% based on Tuchel’s playbook. Yesterday it was clear that Southampton was applying the same antidotes. Leipzig tried but ultimately aren’t a solid team yet. The way of stopping us CURRENTLY is pretty obvious and a manager that goes the Arsenal or Norwich way should probably be sacked on the stop, as it’s playing into our hands. We need to figure out a way out of this for the long term. I saw a quote by Tuchel this week saying he thought we would get Kane and he was curious to see how that would change our game, even though very arrogantly he said he was never afraid. Around here some people have bought into the idea that a center forward could change Pep-ball for the worse. But right now it’s the thing we absolutely NEED. A change in style because, as I said many times, what we did last season wouldn’t be sustainable this time, some games at the end of 2020/2021 were already showing that, notably against Chelsea (it’s a easy escape to believe that things would have been different with Rodri or Fernandinho). If you look at our clashes with PSG in the semifinals, it’s clear we can adapt even if it means going against what seem like core principles. But with the pathetic transfer window we had, I have serious doubts. Chelsea right now are clear favorites to win the PL and strong contenders for the UCL too - who’s taking them down in knockout rounds?! What they are right now is a team that took advantage of the covid market brilliantly and picked the best coach for their squad. We let the covid “opportunity” pass us by — which Khaldoon didn’t do elsewhere, it should be noted. I’m waiting for Tuchel to be sacked in six months, which people here told me would happen and I shouldn’t be worried about them...

Yes, and we certainly scored less than we should have yesterday.

I have just watched the TV coverage of the first half and it confirmed the impression that I had at the game: we would have been out of sight by HT on a good day. We had at least 7 really good situations. With a marginal improvement from him or a team mate, Gundo might have scored up to three times in the first 25 or so minutes: two potential 1 v 1's with the keeper and a close range header - those 3 were superior opportunities to anything Southampton managed in the first half.

I'll get to the second half at some point but I'm sure that will confirm that we were worse in it until the cavalry arrived.

I've watched the full game back now and would agree with that.

Apart from the Gundogan header, the 2 "nearly moments" that stood out were the great Sterling touch and nearly assist for Gundogan and another great Sterling touch/ link up with Jesus and the nearly slide in for Bernardo.
It's stating the obvious but getting the ball in the net is quite important and makes a bit of a difference.

The "nearly moments" obviously don't count towards xG which as you said in your earlier post was was 1.0 v 0.40. There are other metrics which measure the "nearly moments". One such metric is the very originally named "non-shot xG" and we were comfortably ahead of Southampton on that. As you say, bottom line is we should have scored 1 or 2 yesterday but the reality, as reflected in the low xG 1.00, it was a poor day at the office. In fact just 5 times in 18/19 & 19/20 and 6 times last seasons. Our win rate in those games is just above a v poor 50%. Basically they can, like yesterday, go either way.

As an aside, does your perspective of performance/individual players change when you watch full games back?
Case in point being Sterling.. his link-up play/touch was actually very good in 1st half and it only got away from him once and his movement/positioning in the area was also mainly very good. Same in the 2nd half as well with the exception of the horrendous one from the KDB pass and, I think, just 1 failed dribble. Also, he only failed to complete 2 passes all game.

Southampton played well and deserved their point. We were terrible. I can’t remember seeing us give the ball away so often in a long time.

Fernandinho had an absolute nightmare, Walker wasn’t far off. Cancelo may have been our best player today but he is such a poor defender - that’s how bad we were.

We were actually laughing in the ground about how bad Sterling is, terrible first touch and completely freezes in front of goal.

We need to get this out of our system very quickly and move on.
Just a shame Sterling didn't freeze for the goal ruled out for offside, Foden would've have poked it in and hey presto 1 - 0 win. Would everybody then be saying that's how champions win ;-)

Fickle....

Erm, if my comment was " I hope the club doesnt sign a DM" then sure.

Fern has been fantastic. Our best DM. He should have played in the final. However he's 36 and starting to show his age.

We need another DM. One hopefully with a bit of pace.

Last edited:
So we'd only be able to do it once then?

not once ?
but when its a game like southampton yesterday when if we was still playing now we would not have scored
we need something else other than same old same old ? teams are working us out because we have not got a striker and let us have the ball on the wings because who you gonna hit

Well if you are proven wrong , no doubt you will be ecstatic
Not at all. I will be bloody devastated….and the first to congratulate Pep and the team if we come out the other end with pride intact and points gained. What is it with this vitriol if you question Pep?
Get in there City.

I think we have been spoiled the last few seasons, fans (including myself) have hoped and expected us to win most games by a large margin, but there are three or four very good other teams fighting for that top spot and they are not afraid to splash the millions around for top players or pay big wages.

Personally, I think it will be the Rag's year, signing Ronaldo was a masterstroke.

Time will tell, but we can't afford to drop too many more points.

I think we have been spoiled the last few seasons, fans (including myself) have hoped and expected us to win most games by a large margin, but there are three or four very good other teams fighting for that top spot and they are not afraid to splash the millions around for top players or pay big wages.

Personally, I think it will be the Rag's year, signing Ronaldo was a masterstroke.

Time will tell, but we can't afford to drop too many more points.
I’ve watched most games involving them, Chelsea and The dippers and the latter two are a much bigger threat for me. Chelsea look the business. Big game next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.