Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

I'm old and lucky enough to remember seeing Jimmy play in his last troubled years before retiring at 31. He effectively delivered all those stats by the age of 27/28. An immortal eternal legend. RIP Jimmy.

On the goalscoring front, do you think an out and out and out goalscorer would concentrate our goals into a smaller number of players rather than the wider share out we have now ? I know what you mean - the number of goals we score isn't an issue, it's the half chances that will come our way in the pressure games. Can we take them like Sergio tended to ?
Just think we need a goal poacher, someone who always arrives in the six yard box awaiting half a chance just like the rag ladyboy's first goal against Newcastle. All very well playing a false nine but without that poacher's instinct it isn't going to happen. By the way the great Denis Law was another on a par with Greavesie. But just can't believe we didn't have an alternative to Kane as I thought all top clubs had succession plans in place these days.

That’s the same United that haven’t won the league in 8 years and the same Liverpool who have won it once in 30 years. Yes they clearly find some way of pulling it out of the bag better than we do.

You're making a totally false equivalence.

We win league titles because we're the best on a macro level. But on a game to game basis, we rarely win games when we're not the better side and we rarely score late on. Just because they may be better than us at that doesn't mean they're better sides hence why we've won so much in comparison.

One bad result and performance and some on here think we should be taking lessons from no trophies Liverpool and Christiano United.

Just think we need a goal poacher, someone who always arrives in the six yard box awaiting half a chance just like the rag ladyboy's first goal against Newcastle. All very well playing a false nine but without that poacher's instinct it isn't going to happen. By the way the great Denis Law was another on a par with Greavesie. But just can't believe we didn't have an alternative to Kane as I thought all top clubs had succession plans in place these days.
Denis was a scorer of impossible looking spectacular goals. I don't think Pep works on the basis of 'We didn't sign Kane so we'll go for our second choice'. We didn't sign Kane - now doomed to not play in the Ch L until he's 29/30 at the earliest - more likely never. The owner valued him at nearly twice the cost of the superior Lukaku.

You're making a totally false equivalence.

We win league titles because we're the best on a macro level. But on a game to game basis, we rarely win games when we're not the better side and we rarely score late on. Just because they may be better than us at that doesn't mean they're better sides hence why we've won so much in comparison.
Even when we lose, which is rare, we're inevitably the better team. The only exception to that that I can remember was the Ch L final. And even then, it wasn't a case of Chelsea being too good, we just had a bad day - the worst for a long long time.

Keep saying this but our issue seems to be, like I think a few others have said, teams know how to set up against us. Defend. Counter when we flood their goal leaving us vulnerable. An out n out attacker doesn't necessarily deal with that as to break down their defense we still have to have to piss about making 50 passes infront of their goal.

Other than throwing some crosses into a big man to head it in or down I don't know but in saying that I'm just a fan, not a manager, and I lost on fifa last night using the same tactics.

Iv been thinking about this but if we had Kane yesterday we would’ve won before you go for your pitch forks calling him shit etc or he wouldn’t affect the game hear me out.

a striker in peps team doesn’t just score goals. They link up play they bring defenders deep for the wingers to have Space to run into, I was watching the centurion season Aguero linked up play brilliantly he let Sterling and Sane run into the space left behind. Which destroyed teams he didn’t get assists for it but he was vital to peps tactics working.

Now if you add Kane to yesterdays line up, Kane would drop deep holding the ball up for Raz and Grealish to run into space like he does for England. His passing range also would’ve helped break that Southampton defence. By not getting a striker I was pissed due to us not having a finisher but in a Pep team the job of the striker is to bring players into play. Bring the opposition defenders deep let the 2 midfielder run off occupy space where opposition fb have a choice to mark KDB or Gundogan then that gives wingers freedom to run in behind. Unless the person playing false 9 can do that you are missing a vital piece to our attacking play. Sterling yesterday couldn’t do it was bullied by their defenders. Jesus tries to but isn’t strong enough, Torres is learning but is not ready yet.

They are essentially playmakers as well. At Barca David Villa did it for pep , at Bayern Lewandowski did it. At City Aguero did it. We did win the league with false 9 but struggled against teams that defended deep, due to Agueros injuries we missed that vital piece that we had in the centurion season.

Am I the only one that thinks Sterling looked level
Raheem was clearly offside but not interfering when Phil headed the ball. He wasn't to know he was offside - hence he runs in. Leave it to Phil who does everything right and follows in, then helps the ball into the net then the goal is given. Just wondering if Phil was yelling 'Leave it !!!!'

Raheem was clearly offside but not interfering when Phil headed the ball. He wasn't to know he was offside - hence he runs in. Leave it to Phil who does everything right and follows in, then helps the ball into the net then the goal is given. Just wondering if Phil was yelling 'Leave it !!!!'
Yeah I know all that
But like with the new rules implemented this season I’ve seen some goals allowed where they deemed that as level
A late sunday night clutch at straws

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.