All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Say no to Bono............. ;-)
I went to an all-boys Catholic high school from 1979 to 1983. And a Catholic college in the mid- and late-80s. What am I going to do? Not like U2? That's like not liking pizza. Or donuts. Or beer. I definitely might get tired of them. And there's good pizza, and bad pizza; good beer and bad beer. And Bono can be a preachy bastard, and Adam Clayton despite 40+ years of experience still seems inept at the bass. But not like them? Not gonna happen, much as many, many other things change. I'm stuck with them. But I will tenaciously hang onto the opinion that War is their best record.

Last edited:
H
I went to an all-boys Catholic high school from 1979 to 1983. And a Catholic college in the mid- and late-80s. What am I going to do? Not like U2? That's like not liking pizza. Or donuts. Or beer. I definitely might get tired of them. And there's good pizza, and bad pizza; good beer and bad beer. And Bono can be a preachy bastard, and Adam Clayton despite 40+ years of experience still seems inept at the bass. But not like them? Not gonna happen, much as many, many other things change. I'm stuck with them. But I will tenaciously hang onto the opinion that War is their best record.
Made me laugh that.

I was also raised Catholic (ridiculous as no-one was religious in our house) and just as I don't believe in Jebus, I don't believe in Bono.

And he can get fucked asking people to improve / correct the world, he could probably solve third world hunger just in tax (un)-avoidance............. :-)

First-time listen to any Madonna album so this was difficult. I've never rated her to be honest, she's got a decent voice but I've never really understood why people thought she was so special, musically.

On this album I found it very heavy on the drum machine in a lot of the tracks, it hasn't aged well as a result, but that's probably a problem with a lot of these 80s pop records. There's no way that this album should be anywhere in this list as it has one decent song on there, Rain, and even that's just a simple melody, nice as it is. If I heard it on the radio I wouldn't turn it over but the rest of the tracks I would. The album is there for the shock factor alone, but I got the impression at the time that it made her look like a tart.

2 / 10

Absolute cobblers.

I'm not going to lie, I only listened to a couple of tracks fully and skim listened the rest - not ideal, I'll admit, but I'm not going to listen to 75 minutes of this drivel.

2/10 - I heard a nice bit of Spanish guitar on one of the tracks I listened to, otherwise it would have been 1/10.

Absolute cobblers.

I'm not going to lie, I only listened to a couple of tracks fully and skim listened the rest - not ideal, I'll admit, but I'm not going to listen to 75 minutes of this drivel.

2/10 - I heard a nice bit of Spanish guitar on one of the tracks I listened to, otherwise it would have been 1/10.
Ha ha and that's fair enough. I did initially think it would be a "skimmer" as well. But I did make the effort to listen to it several times, and I only scored it slightly higher than you.
In this case your time management judgement was correct it seems ;-)

What might be a nice idea is to get a list of people who wish to regularly contribute to the thread and each of them submit their top 5 (or 10) albums with a rationale for their inclusion. They are then all put together and albums are chosen at random and scored.

That way you'd probably get a wider range of music and it would have the added bonus of most likely being finished before the world comes to an end (unlike the current list!!).
This - and a few other replies and comments - has got me thinking.

I have an idea for a thread to run alongside @BlueHammer85 's brilliantly curated (but random) list.

Don't want to say too much other than it would run along the lines of:-
1. One album a week (as per this thread).
2. Albums chosen by the regular contributors.
3. Whilst anybody is free to vote and offer an opinion, you must have contributed significantly to THIS thread to get to pick an album - and CONTINUE to participate in this thread.
4. Based on a not very scientific, but half-hour scan of this thread, I reckon most regulars would get to pick 2 or 3 albums a year.

I hope it is clear from the above points that I do not wish to derail this thread in any way. BlueHammer has done a superb job of keeping me (and others) entertained over this past year with the voting threads, and I can honestly say that it's one of the things that has kept me going through the hard months of lockdown.

This - and a few other replies and comments - has got me thinking.

I have an idea for a thread to run alongside @BlueHammer85 's brilliantly curated (but random) list.

Don't want to say too much other than it would run along the lines of:-
1. One album a week (as per this thread).
2. Albums chosen by the regular contributors.
3. Whilst anybody is free to vote and offer an opinion, you must have contributed significantly to THIS thread to get to pick an album - and CONTINUE to participate in this thread.
4. Based on a not very scientific, but half-hour scan of this thread, I reckon most regulars would get to pick 2 or 3 albums a year.

I hope it is clear from the above points that I do not wish to derail this thread in any way. BlueHammer has done a superb job of keeping me (and others) entertained over this past year with the voting threads, and I can honestly say that it's one of the things that has kept me going through the hard months of lockdown.
I like this idea inherently, but . . . I do not want to derail this thread either, because I am really enjoying it, and I think this should only be something we’d start up if @BlueHammer85 gave it his full and complete blessing.

And if he is uncomfortable for any reason — maybe he wants eyes and votes focused here and not on a breakaway thread, or some other reason — we should absolutely respect those wishes. Moreover, if he doesn’t like the idea, he need not respond here if he doesn’t want to but via PM to you so that his rationale whatever it is stays private if he likes. It’s hard to say no or “I’m not comfortable” sometimes, especially publicly. He started this and manages it — that’s a lot of time and energy — I want him to feel rewarded and not diluted.

Does that sound fair?

I like this idea inherently, but . . . I do not want to derail this thread either, because I am really enjoying it, and I think this should only be something we’d start up if @BlueHammer85 gave it his full and complete blessing.

And if he is uncomfortable for any reason — maybe he wants eyes and votes focused here and not on a breakaway thread, or some other reason — we should absolutely respect those wishes. Moreover, if he doesn’t like the idea, he need not respond here if he doesn’t want to but via PM to you so that his rationale whatever it is stays private if he likes. It’s hard to say no or “I’m not comfortable” sometimes, especially publicly. He started this and manages it — that’s a lot of time and energy — I want him to feel rewarded and not diluted.

Does that sound fair?
Yes, totally agree. Was going to say something like that but didn't want to put him in the position of objecting publicly. As I said in my comments - you'd effectively have to contribute to this thread to get anywhere near nominating in the new thread. I'm pretty confident that a core of members would continue to contribute here anyway.

Despite the Madonna debacle, I love this thread and enjoy the randomness of the selections, that's part of the beauty. Makes you appreciate the odd nugget that comes our way.

Absolutely no objection from me!

although possible the same Album might appear in the near future?
Also wondering if Music should be it’s own sub section on the forum - like we have Politics.

but either way, sounds a great idea - be interested to know all your top albums and this thread will carry on regardless- as long as I get 10 scores in each week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.