Wycombe (H) - EFL Cup R3 | Post-Match Thread

City are better team without grealish.
the tempo, the intensity, the passes
We have to play our strength (Foden and mahrez as wingers, KDB and gundagon in the midfield, jesus as the steriker)
No idea where you come from but I have never read such a stupid and ill-informed post from a so-called City fan. Jack Grealish has been our best and most creative player in almost every game he starts. If Pep had decided to risk him against mighty Wycombe, we would have most likely scored ten at least. Foden is definitely not a winger.

I'm not sure I agree. He looked good last night (against league 1 opposition). He doesn't have the experience Rodri has. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Rodri, but not convinced he's anywhere near as good right now.

The kid is phenomenal. He's pushing into spaces he needs to be, he's anticipating, he's playing forward balls into the penalty area.

The position he plays is supposed to be all about experience but he's breaking up the play like a veteran.

I'm convinced he will be ahead of Rodri very soon in the pecking order, certainly as he continues to fill out.

Was a nice refreshin game last night. At time Phil reminded me of David Silva with his little pirouettes. Mbete in defence reminded me of a young VK. As for the long named left back ;O) I thought he was excellent. Very cool under pressure. Hopefully these guys will get more chances in this cup

It's a long time since I was so excited about a group of players coming through.

I see potential greatness in Lavia, I was shocked at his levels playing in such an experienced position - he's ready now - he's easily on a par with Rodri - the kid has it all.

Would not surprise me if him, Palmer and McAtee go all the way.

The club has the potential to mimic the Barcelona golden generation if they want to. Which I think was the aim in 2012 when the CFA was unveiled. There was talk of winning things with a team made up mostly of academy products from Khaldoon IIRC.

Lavia, McAtee, Palmer, Wilson-Esbrand, Delap & Mbete are probably all good enough. So is Callum Doyle. I still think Tommy Doyle might be if he can find his midfield position over in Germany.

It's not just going to happen by accident, or passively though. Someone actually has to make the decisions. Someone has to say "OK we're not buying a fernandinho replacement, it'll be Lavia and Rodri", or "Ok we're not renewing Mahrez's contract because Palmer or McAtee will take that spot in 2023/24".

They can't just keep buying £80-100m players to replace the 30+ year olds leaving and then say "oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be" when the youth players leave and find success elsewhere.

Last edited:
The club has the potential to mimic the Barcelona golden generation if they want to.

Lavia, McAtee, Palmer, Wilson-Esbrand, Delap & Mbete are probably all good enough. So is Callum Doyle.

But it's not just going to happen by accident, or passively. Someone actually has to make the decisions. Someone has to say "OK we're not buying a fernandinho replacement, it'll be Lavia and Rodri", or "Ok we're not renewing Mahrez's contract because Palmer or McAtee will take that spot in 2023/24".

They can't just keep buying £80-100m players and then say "oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be" when the youth players leave and find success elsewhere.

Agreed. It was the same decision Ferguson made at some point in 1992. Bastard.

Don't know much about Callum Doyle, but I am also of the belief that Tommy can make it with us and will impress at Hamburg.

If a couple like Couto, Metinho and Kayky can also make the step up, then I can't see how Pep won't want to see it all mature?

It would be his crowning glory.

Last edited:
Agreed. It was the same decision Ferguson made at some point in 1992. Bastard.

Don't know much about Callum Doyle, but I am still of the belief that Tommy can make it with us and will impress at Hamburg.

If a couple like Couto, Metinho and Kayky can also make the step up, then I can't see how Pep won't want to see it all mature?

It would be his crowning glory.
I agree with you on Tommy Doyle, I think he could be at the very least a squad player, he just needs to find his role in midfield and get some experience.

Chelsea made the conscious decision after Conte to make their golden generation the priority, and it only took 18 months of Lampard championing them for Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Reece James, Christensen & Abraham to pick up the experience and confidence that Tuchel saw them as proper first team players, not academy kids.

I don't think anyone wants City to appoint a Lampard, but the amazing thing is I don't think we'd need to. Pep has said so many time he prefers working with kids, he wants to be a youth coach in his retirement. If we could win the CL this season and tick that off, I think he would absolutely relish the idea of being told his priority for the next season(s) was bringing through 3 or 4 kids and setting up a generation of homegrown players for the club to be his legacy after he's gone.

I think there's a lot of opportunities coming up as well over the next 2 years. Fernandinho is going, Mahrez will be 32 when his contract expires in 2023, Left back is wide open. I personally think Laporte will try to move to Spain again, and Aké may look for a club he starts at every week after 2 or 3 years as a back up.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.