Just a heads up on these scamming gits

Get quite a few scam calls. Said hello once, and an automated voice said that my PPS number (equivalent to the NI number in the UK) had been linked to criminal activity. Just put the phone down on them. Now, as someone else has said, I answer the phone but say nothing. After a few seconds, they hang up without saying anything. Another one is text messages urging me to click on a link to ensure my ordered item is delivered. Even though I'm not waiting on anything.
This sort of bullshit....

Screenshot_20210924-224413_Messages.jpg

I just delete them. Never click on the link. Apparently, it's a Vietnam domain.

Either they’ve texted en masse to a load of numbers, or they’ve found via a website breach your number, or someone has sent a text previously that has been received on the number
Modern software freely available on the Dark Web means one guy with a laptop can send thousands of texts an hour

I used to keep all my passwords in an excel spreadsheet because I would forget them. I protected the excel spreadsheet with a password. Unfortunately I forgot the password to the excel spreadsheet !
:(
I can crack an Excel password in seconds. If you want the code I'll send it you. :)

I got the worst/cleverest one yet only the other day on Wednesday.

Text from PayPal asking me to update my security on my account with a dodgy link to click. However, what made this one so bad is it was the same 5 digit text number that sent it that is the genuine PayPal number as in the message history were loads of genuine times they’d messaged me.

How the fuck did they manage that?

Last edited:
There seems to be 2 apps to LastPass - Password Manager and Authenticator. Do I need both apps. I assume Password Manager stores the passwords but what role does Authenticator play?
Authenticactor is a 2-factor authentication app. When you log in to a website or app that supports it, you have to enter the code shown on the Authenticator, which changes every 60 seconds. It's like the RSA tokens you used to get with work laptops.

I got the worst/cleverest one yet only the other day on Wednesday.

Text from PayPal asking me to update my security on my account with a dodgy link to click. However, what made this one so bad is it was the same 5 digit text number that sent it that is the genuine PayPal number as in the message history we’re loads of genuine times they’d messaged me.

How the fuck did they manage that?
GSM mobile standard (which includes SMS texts) can be spoofed , so that the number shown as the originator can be anything.

the only safe way to deal with texts is never click on a link.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.