Chelsea (A) | Post-Match Thread

I keep seeing or hearing we didn't get a shot on target all first half, there wasn't a mention of Chelsea not having one all game
I noticed in the commentary at half-time the chavs were being credited for not having conceded a shot on target. 11 men in your 6-yard box for 45 mins will achieve that. Fucking shit-houses.

I noticed in the commentary at half-time the chavs were being credited for not having conceded a shot on target. 11 men in your 6-yard box for 45 mins will achieve that. Fucking shit-houses.
I’ll never understand why there’s an “Shots On Target” stat.

A chance can be a better or easier chance to score that goes wide than a shot on target that is far too difficult and angle or distance to beat the keeper or too many bodies in the way to score through.

Therefore it’s the chance to score that’s important, not whether a shot is on target or not.

You can have a shot on target in this situation, with the goal and the goalkeeper directly behind them all, a stupid effort that’s never going in:
52D7128F-C4DC-4B74-A389-E3148EAD34A5.jpeg

And you can have a shots off target in these situations, after brilliant build-up play that’s taken out the entire defence and goalkeeper, missing an open net:
EF88E360-99D1-4CBC-A52B-A2FB6F5A31C6.jpeg
98B96C16-7D74-46EF-AB4E-604C1D0E46C3.png
8435DE87-6814-4891-B908-44CEF146B690.png

And you can even have a situation like this one where the player doesn’t even shoot, Silva unbelievably passed to Agüero here but it was a better chance to score than 99 other shots on target you could choose from:
DBA865AE-0A43-4DAE-B13D-586D19EA466D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

You look at the Brentford v Liverpool game later that shows even with a less expensively assembled squad if you attack teams you can get a result. Sure Liverpool could have scored more but so could Brentford. I've seen teams come to our place, shut up shop and cause us no problems. Once we scored one or two they attacked us and caused us problems. I have often thought why didn't they start with that approach. For Chelsea to spend that amount of money and then play like Burnley is a disgrace.

My comment wasn't based on one bad performance. I've always thought that the PL should be our main priority. I've never really cared about the CL, and I believe that the domestic cups should be for developing younger / second string squad players.
Don't get too giddy though. We looked like proper champions today, but the season has a long way to go. I think we'll win it again, but I'd still be very happy with top 4 this season.

Your words were we should use this season to bring youngsters into the team and top four would do. Like I said last week, City are never going to throw in a title defence in September with a squad that is worth millions and a world class manager. From what I gather, it was a bit of an over reaction drawing with Southampton, there was plenty of that last week as a few were even saying we need a change of manager and to fuck Soriano and Txiki off (WHY?!).

I think most of us were quite worried about this match during the week. Our performance against Southampton was poor whereas Chelsea had been excellent in the second half at Spurs. Chelsea had had the better of Liverpool at Anfield even with ten men and, of course, Tuchel had rumbled Pep, knew how to beat him and in Lukaku had the final piece of the jigsaw which made Chelsea unstoppable. This proved in the event to be the classic match played and won on paper but wholly different on the pitch.

Yesterday Pep showed why he is the best coach in the world and why his squad is the best in the world. Whether he studied the first half of Chelsea's game at Spurs is uncertain but I suppose he did but it probably only confirmed what he knew. Tuchel's ploy appears to be to sit deep with two defensive midfielders in front of the back five and rely on Mount to play the ball to very pacey forwards. Mount couldn't play yesterday so the balls to the front men had to be that longer. It is claimed Lukaku has made this irresistible. Guardiola begs to differ! If Chelsea wanted to sit deep a five man press would ensure they never got out and play remained in the Chelsea third. And what a press it was! The long ball out was always a heads down hoof in desperation and it came right back at them. Absolutely superb fro City for the entire 96 minutes - and Tuchel, hitherto put forward as the tactical master of Pep, didn't know what to do, what to change, how to respond. Well done, City, absolutely brilliant. And thanks Pep - in a class of your own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.