20 | Bernardo Silva - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll repeat and repeat again and again: football is not a stats sport!

It has far more aspects to it and to individual performances and abilities that there are no stats for.

Football is a sport that has situations that might only happen once a game and never again in any game again that season, but are some of the most important things that happen in that game. There could be half a dozen of these individual things that occur that are all different to each other that just occur out of the blue that certain players always seem to be involved in but will never attain a stat for them.

Football isn’t like American sports where stats are king. US sports are played in bursts and are formulaic and robotic, where it’s all about stats. Football flows too much and has too many variables for stats to matter more than general influence on the game.
You might not think it is a stats sport but it certainly is a data sport.

Data analytics is exploding in football and the depth of analysis available for performance, scouting, medical etc etc is staggering. Much of this isn't in the public domain but even in the public domain there are a multitude of data points to view if you know where to look. For example, you liked a post earlier in the thread where someone listed what they would like to see for Bernardo rather than basic stats from whoscored...ALL that is available for the analytics guys paying a hefty subscription but about 50% is available in the public domain.

I love stats but you also have to go beyond them and Bernie has become one of those players who helps to knit the team together in ways that don't always show up in his individual stats.

I don't think he is currently the best player in the league or even our team but I do think he gets in our current best XI; it will be interesting to see if Pep thinks that once Gundo is fit.
Spot on. Lead by example. When his peers like walker are tweeting about the distance bernaedo coverd in the game it shows his effort and desire are noticed by his team mates and id wager it rubs off on them too.

thats before you even take in to account the amount of control he gave us deeper and getting through the chelsea press

Guardiola eulogising about him in his latest interview, but sadly still talking about him wanting to leave :(

it’s sad because its not citys fault on why he wants to leave. It’s just the fact he wants to leave England apparently his girlfriend does as well. I don’t know how city could change his mind.

it’s sad because its not citys fault on why he wants to leave. It’s just the fact he wants to leave England apparently his girlfriend does as well. I don’t know how city could change his mind.
Yeah, I think it’s for family reasons so you can’t really argue with that. Will be gutted when he goes though.

People talking stats.. he (along with Merlin) are the probably the two players of an entire generation that Stats rob them of their sheer influence on games from a reporting perspective. Both in Fantasy football and FIFA video games they suffer as it is hard to bring their contribution to light and quantify it.. but it doesn’t mean they are not some of best players in the world.

Last edited:
Guardiola eulogising about him in his latest interview, but sadly still talking about him wanting to leave :(

of course hes talking about it since he thought he was leaving like a month ago

Yeah, I think it’s for family reasons so you can’t really argue with that. Will be gutted when he goes though.

A year is a long time. He or the girlfriend might change their minds. They might break up. They should be able to see a lot more family now the pandemic is on the wane and that should make them a lot less homesick.

And all the love from Pep and the fans and playing more and hitting his best form will probably make him want to stay more too.

I won't be giving up hope until he's holding another team's shirt.

Remember De Gea was desperate to leave United to live in Madrid with his girlfriend and only the Madrid fax machine shambles stopped him moving. That was 6 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.