Paris Saint-Germain (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

I just hope the lack of a striker doesn't haunt us all season

But I think it will
I think it will at the highest level, I think against bread and butter teams in the Premier League we will create so many chances that by the law of averages we will score a bucketful. I really hope I'm wrong.

This game can only be reviewed together with Chelsea/Pool games really.

It was clear on both Chelsea/PSG games that while we created more and better chances than the opponent in total we conceded 2 and scored 1 only.

and that is not good imo and much of it is down to lack of recruitment (top striker) while players we try to get into shooting chances are just not exceptional in this area of the game.
from the chances we miss a top class striker or even a top class wide forward would score more simply.

Grealish or Mahrez will not reach the heights in stats of someone like Robben who was cutting inside from the right wing a lot being left footed. Neither will imo Jesus...

Will be interesting to see how Pep will keep rotating between Grealish/Foden and Jesus/Mahrez going forward. It looks to me Grealish/Jesus are his first choice wing /wideforward options but Foden certainly deserves to start as his shooting skills are a level above anyone else in the team imo when he is presented with a chance imo.
You want a ball to fall for Foden for a shot rather then Mahrez or Sterling or even Jesus imo.

Gundogan would be the other one next to Foden or KDB in top form which he is not yet.

I thought that our attack was too one dimensional and predictable. PSG and the Red Dippers both play with a three pronged assault, it worked when we had Sane on the left but with Sterling and Jack it becomes less effective. Our approach play when played fast is the best around and works but when intermittent allows the opposition to re-group. Lets hope last Saturday's line up starts on Sunday and we go at 'the victims' full on and no point being down we live to fight another day against PSG!! CTID

Good performance by the lads but it’s so frustrating watching the attack squander so many guilt edged chances game after game ..
They need to stop over thinking and let instinct take over.. No harm done last night, If we beat the dippers it will have been a great week regardless ..

….in a one off game.

But over a season it usually means you win around 70% and at least 2 trophies.
That wasn't my point. How do you define "better"? "We were the better side, but they scored 2 and we didn't score any", is not a very convincing argument when the name of the game is scoring goals, not passing the ball around for 90 minutes.

There’s still probably some Pseud’s out there who think Sterling is worth persisting with.

That his movement etc is worth the lack of goals.

But he’s gone way way way beyond that now.

Seems that Lyon game has destroyed him mentally.

His first touch and what little technique he had has deserted him now, needs to move on, get back to basic

Ok so more pissed off with the utter wankfest and MSM celebrations after our first CL group defeat for three years, cunts!
but in the big scheme of things we battered them, we got hit with a couple of sucker punches. All the talk of players who aren’t able to cut it at the top level, Sterling being the prime example, well if we had a decent striker we’d have hit those twats for six last night and any talk of Sterling or Mahrez or LaPorte not being good enough would be academic. Still a bit puzzled why we put all our transfer eggs in the Harry Kane basket, Spurs were never going to let him go.

Football can be a bugger sometimes and last night was a classic case. As on Saturday City smothered the opposition and just as Lukaku and Werner had been played out of the game so the PSG front three were hardly seen. Hardly but not completely. And City lost 2-0. The first goal was the a sign of just how perverse the football gods can be. On just about their only expedition into our area PSG got the series of deflections and ricochets which presented them with the clearest of chances and Gueye's brilliant finish amounted to thumping the ball into a clearly open part of the goal. City never got the ball running anything like as kindly as that. We created the best chance of the night when Raheem's excellent header thumped against the bar and Bernardo must still be wondering how his follow up found the bar again instead of the net. Apart from that PSG packed their area and blocked everything that came at them with a mixture of good play and great luck - until Messi got his first goal for them. It was a great goal but it also highlighted how little that front three actually achieved. It's fair to say Messi's goal was decisive but it was the only thing of note he did all night, Mbappe looked classy but did little and Neymar was the annoying cheat we've come to expect. Last night was PSG's night as far as the result went but they rode their luck and I don't think fortune will favour them to that extent again.

Otherwise somethings never change. Grealish got the UEFA induction course for gifted City CL debutants delivered personally by the referee designed to illustrate that tackling Neymar is not allowed while rugby tackling, body checking and obstructing City lads who might be dangerous is actively encouraged. It all adds to the magic of the CL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.