Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Man Utd and Liverpool would sell their tickets at £50 apiece if they thought they could fill the ground.

If City have sold out the Burnley returns then that shows there is very significant demand for tickets at the right price. I have no idea if we have as I haven't been able to look online through the week.

Very few visiting clubs now take up the full allocation at City. And every single time their cheaper seats are sold to City fans. This is evidence that if you price the tickets right, fans will snap them up.
They don’t take up a full allocation because they know they will be battered. Before today, Burnley had a number of 5-0 defeats here.

I suspect that travel to away matches is declining thing. My experience of attending matches in France and Spain is that away fans are very thin on the ground there. I don’t know how many supporters

City could take 10,000 to a big away match in the 1960s and 1970s. That will not happen now with away allocations capped. People have just got out if the habit of travelling.

I suspect that I only missed five or six City away matches between 1965 and 1971. Back then there was no segregation between home and away fans and very few had season tickets. That is no longer the case.

Recently I have been to three away matches in the last 10 years (excluding matches at Wembley!). One was Norwich in the FA Cup, one was at Celtic in the CL and the other was Newcastle in the PL. The latter two I was in the ‘home end’ because I couldn’t get near a ticket from City. I spent both matches scared to death!

I used to love going to away matches back in the day. Especially where you could have a drink before and maybe after the match with opposition supporters. I would draw the line with Chelsea fans and would associate with Fulham fans when at Stamford Bridge. Other than that, the only ones to avoid were in Sunderland and Leeds.

The Stadium has had loads of empty seats for every match this season. I think Covid has knocked alot of peoples confidence and they are reluctant to attend.

I think a lot of people ( myself included) have given up being season ticket holders as well, due to lots of different reasons

And you believe that Newcastle backers are an investement group with no link to the Saudi royal family?

Bollocks, The Saudi's have bought Newcastle, just as Abu Dhabi and the Sheik bought us.

So what? Football and the world has evolved.

Once the rich local business man would buy his local club and use it to polish his ego.

Then came along the likes of Littlewoods who bought Liverpool and transformed them into winners.

I don't get what the issue is with country's taking over major sporting clubs is, it's progression, globalization, call it what you want.

I know who I would rather have owning my club, a rich Sheik rather than a TV rental salesman that's for sure.

I think you''ve misinterpreted my post.

Of course I believe the the Newcastle investment has links to the Saudi big wigs.

I prefer the expression we are state funded rather than to say we are owned. Certainly that is the definitive legal position. But it is only a subtle difference because we absolutely aligned with Abu Dhabi soft power policy.

Do you have any links to where our CEO said we’re a front for Abu Dhabi?

I’m not being facetious, genuinely only ever heard Khaldoon say we’re owned by Sheikh Mansour and not really heard Sorriano say a dickie bird on the subject.

I meant to say it was Garry Cook as I've said before to marvin.

Here's one quote I've got others somewhere.

“We played West Ham at home on August 24. We won 3-0 and that was the day I made the presentation to representatives of Sheikh Mansour. ‘This is not just a football club purchase,’ I said. ‘This is an economic regeneration, this is land, this is a city that needs inward investment because public spending has gone away.’ They liked the story. They were looking at a lot of clubs. Leeds United was one. They wanted to get engaged at Arsenal as a partner. Clearly, they wanted to be in the Premier League.
What was the purpose of Manchester City to them? It was, ‘how do we create a proxy brand for Abu Dhabi? We’ve already built a racetrack, we’re in the sports business, we need a vehicle.’ And that was us.”

The Etihad looked pretty full today, but there were scatterings of empty seats all over the stadium, especially on level 2, and in parts of the Family stand.

I meant to say it was Garry Cook as I've said before to marvin.

Here's one quote I've got others somewhere.

“We played West Ham at home on August 24. We won 3-0 and that was the day I made the presentation to representatives of Sheikh Mansour. ‘This is not just a football club purchase,’ I said. ‘This is an economic regeneration, this is land, this is a city that needs inward investment because public spending has gone away.’ They liked the story. They were looking at a lot of clubs. Leeds United was one. They wanted to get engaged at Arsenal as a partner. Clearly, they wanted to be in the Premier League.
What was the purpose of Manchester City to them? It was, ‘how do we create a proxy brand for Abu Dhabi? We’ve already built a racetrack, we’re in the sports business, we need a vehicle.’ And that was us.”
So that was his pitch to them as opposed to their stated aims?

He also pitched them a City branded Tata car I seem to remember.

It was later than 2008 before I came wise to it. Remember it was sold to us to start with as a private investment from a fabulously wealthy Sheikh. That was effectively the line they pushed

Human rights criticisms didn't really takeoff to about 2012 I think..
… it’s as though something happened that year that got the attention of the world (footballing and non)… can’t think what… that needed an instant distraction creating, to belittle it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.