#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to say it but in the second half he was hanging back about 20 yards behind the play when city were attacking so not even getting in positions which is probably his biggest strength.

He has 2 goals in 25 appearances for City. One of those was as a sub in a 5-0 win vs Norwich and the other against Chelsea when the league title was virtually wrapped up. It feels like forever that I've celebrated meaningful contribution from Sterling.

He pretty much did absolutely nothing all game.

I thought he started well enough but faded quite badly. Heads not there at all, time out hasn’t really helped him. Was saying today he needs to take a leaf out of Stones book and earn his place not get offended about not starting and then flutter his eyelids at anyone like a two bob brass.

He can't suddenly be good at the things he's always been bad at so I think we have to be realistic in our expectations.

I thought he was OK ish today. He put in a great pass to Foden and his scissors kick was on target. Hopefully he'll be better still next game.

But I'd only ever start him When there's no one better available. Which there isn't atm unless you bring in kids.

IMO it was our highest priority in the summer to replace Sterling on the left. Next was the striker situation. So I was delighted to get Grealish.

I hope Sterling regains form asap. But I also hope he goes for a decent price soon. And I hope he does well (providing it doesn't hurt us or he's at a shit club)

To me the entire series of events leading to signing Mahrez has turned out to be something like a net negative

We were targeting Mahrez when Sancho was still here and while he may have left anyway and hasn’t torn up the league it was not our best bit of business. I suppose it is possible that we chased Mahrez that following January because Sancho had left—I can’t be certain and in a lot of ways it doesn’t matter as we for some reason were looking at wingers.

Sterling played extremely well for us on the RW while Sane was here. He scored more after Sane left but imo was a much better player before he shifted left.

We brought Mahrez in and let Sane go and moved Sterling to the left. This resulted in playing inverted wingers with Mahrez and Sterling frequently slowing down play to cut inside into their stronger foot. It also left Bernardo on the outside looking in and eventually looking to move and we were extremely lucky to not lose him.

This isn’t a roundabout way of having a go at Mahrez as he’s been up and down and has certainly contributed to some of our hardware. I just don’t think we will see Sterlings best playing on the LW or as a CF. If we want to get him back on track imo he needs to rotate with Mahrez and or Jesus on the right and be an option to run beyond his man and play a cut back. He needs to keep it simple and get back to basics. I think he will seek a move and wouldn’t begrudge him at all for it but if we are to try to get the best we can this season I don’t see how it will be by doing what we have been doing and hoping for better results

Last edited:
In the immortal words of Bricktop:

now-fuck-off-brick-top.gif

Whatever the circumstance. Sterling has given up instead of fighting for his place which tells us more about his mentality. He has always been a mental weakling missing an open goal in a CL knockout was his peak. He does not have the mentality to fight for his place. happy to get rid of such players.

To me the entire series of events leading to signing Mahrez has turned out to be something like a net negative

We were targeting Mahrez when Sancho was still here and while he may have left anyway and hasn’t torn up the league it was not our best bit of business. I suppose it is possible that we chased Mahrez that following January because Sancho had left—I can’t be certain and in a lot of ways it doesn’t matter as we for some reason were looking at wingers.

Sterling played extremely well for us on the RW while Sane was here. He scored more after Sane left but imo was a much better player before he shifted left.

We brought Mahrez in and let Sane go and moved Sterling to the left. This resulted in playing inverted wingers with Mahrez and Sterling frequently slowing down play to cut inside into their stronger foot. It also left Bernardo on the outside looking in and eventually looking to move and we were extremely lucky to not lose him.

This isn’t a roundabout way of having a go at Mahrez as he’s been up and down and has certainly contributed to some of our hardware. I just don’t think we will see Sterlings best playing on the LW or as a CF. If we want to get him back on track imo he needs to rotate with Mahrez and or Jesus on the right and be an option to run beyond his man and play a cut back. He needs to keep it simple and get back to basics. I think he will seek a move and wouldn’t begrudge him at all for it but if we are to try to get the best we can this season I don’t see how it will be by doing what we have been doing and hoping for better results
He had better stats in that season after Sané left but I thought his general play and his team play (less selfish, better decision making of passes, better link up play, better defending) was better when he played on the right and Sané was here on the left.

If he continues to play like that, he won't find a club willing to pay him huge wages, even if he leaves on free!

He's been abysmal recently (and poor since early February when he had an excellent performance at Anfield). Instead of realising that the problem is with his form, he had the audacity to have a bust up with Pep. He wasn't worse than most of the other players in Porto, but I still think that Jesus had to start ahead of him. Chelsea were playing through our press and Jesus would have helped us deal better with their build up play.

I still think Sterling may turn it around, but if it doesn't happen before/around Christmas, it will never happen. He needs to score 2-3 goals and soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.