10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really surprised by some comments here then I realised that I watched the games with some foreign commentary instead of listening to BT or Sky. I listened to some Asian commentators - they are generally more "fair" than European ones and speak more freely as none of their nationals playing on the field - And they don't worry about saying anything to annoy the fans so sometimes they criticise more openly. (For example, during yesterday match, they bluntly criticised Rashford for not tracing back and called out him and Fernandes for the lost before half time)

Something I thought different from some of the views here.

Grealish was spoken very highly by them in Chelsea game. The advantage he gained vs AZP/James on the left side was taken as one of the key points of City's win. His ability to create chances and control the game within tight areas against a tight low block was praised. James early off and AZP's struggle against Grealish was taken as the key why Chelsea lost in their post match review - some bluntly said AZP should be replaced sooner. (Of course Silva and others also got praised).

Grealish's assist to Foden's goal in the game against Brighton was also praised for the perfect timing, calm, control and unselfishness.

Commentators also pointed out that Cancelo has benefited most from Grealish's move as he gets much freedom and space. And no longer need to bother with the danger of your winger losing ball randomly constantly.

About that PSG game, they questioned why Pep sticked Grealish hugging the line instead of deploying in half space - then also pointed out Grealish's struggle was more or less "paying" for KDB's foul.

Pep's coaching ability was highly praised based on Grealish's adaption, particular in the game vs Leicester and Chelsea. They pointed out some of Grealish weakness but generally spoke well of him - especially compared to the new signing of MU down the road...

Last edited:
I am really surprised by some comments here then I realised that I watched the games with some foreign commentary instead of listening to BT or Sky. I listened to some Asian commentators - they are generally more "fair" than European ones and speak more freely as none of their nationals playing on the field - And they don't worry about saying anything to annoy the fans so sometimes they criticise more openly. (For example, during yesterday match, they bluntly criticised Rashford for not tracing back and called out him and Fernandes for the lost before half time)

Grealish was spoken very highly by them in Chelsea game. The advantage he gained vs AZP/James on the left side was taken as one of the key points of City's win. His ability to create chances and control the game within tight areas against a tight low block was praised. James early off and AZP's struggle against Grealish was taken as the key why Chelsea lost in their post match review - some bluntly said AZP should be replaced sooner. (Of course Silva and others also got praised).

Grealish's assist to Foden's goal in the game against Brighton was also praised for the perfect timing, calm, control and unselfishness.

Commentators also pointed out that Cancelo has benefited most from Grealish's move as he gets much freedom and space. And no longer need to bother with the danger of your winger losing ball randomly constantly.

About that PSG game, they questioned why Pep sticked Grealish hugging the line instead of deploying in half space - then also pointed out Grealish's struggle was more or less "paying" for KDB's foul.

Pep's coaching ability was highly praised based on Grealish's adaption, particular in the game vs Leicester and Chelsea. They pointed out some of Grealish weakness but generally spoke well of him - especially compared to the new signing of MU down the road...
great points

I think as quite a few people have mentioned, you rarely ever see any defenders take him 1 vs 1, he always draws about 2-3 players into him. That's so important for this team.

On top of that, he rarely ever loses the ball. It's why Mahrez would always get picked in the big games, he's the same, elite ball retention.

Good points.
He is doing ok,
Neither a weakness nor a glowing light so far.
Pep doesn't want him dribbling in the middle 3rd and is keeping him out wide which helps the team but not him personally.
His lack of goal threat so far is a bit of a worry.
Early days yet.

Not sure if that makes me a hater-)
I think that makes you his mortal enemy. Did he steal your signature hair style or something?

I think as quite a few people have mentioned, you rarely ever see any defenders take him 1 vs 1, he always draws about 2-3 players into him. That's so important for this team.

On top of that, he rarely ever loses the ball. It's why Mahrez would always get picked in the big games, he's the same, elite ball retention.
Yeah criticising Grealish for not dribbling past enough fullbacks reads the same as when people criticise Rodri for not playing enough attacking passes. They do these things when they can but it's not really what they're supposed to be doing too much of.

They aren't ludicrous compaints, but they come across as somewhat misguided.

This!

Defenders are drawn to Grealish as they fear him, this offers Cancelo so much space to exploit and also means that his defensive duties are easier as fullbacks are less inclined to push on.

This all reminds me of the Foden criticism during the Euro's...Foden was often doubled up on in games as they feared him most.

Yeah good points. Definitely agree about Grealish allowing Cancelo more time and space.

I disagree with their point about the assist to Foden on Saturday though. I thought he actually underhit the pass to Foden and it was a bit behind where Foden would have wanted it, which is why the defender got there. It was one he/we got away with a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.