Yorkshire Cricket Club

No chance it’s worse now.

This wouldn’t even be in the news in the 80s and Yorkshire cc would be getting away with it.

Racism will never go away, it’s in every society and every group of people on earth. Just as another guy said on here, rape, murder and theft will always be with us too.

The position to get to is to have severe consequences for it so that would-be offenders are deterred from acting it out.
Internet has not helped.
Different kind of racism now as well.
In the 80's the Yorkshire cricket stuff would not have been discussed at all.

Yes, the racists do tend to try and wiggle out of it by arguing the technicalities.

However, since the Race Relations Act in the 1960's any abuse on grounds of race, religion, ethnic origin, nationality etc is prosecuted as racism and called racist.

It's been this way in this country for over 50 years.

Racists are as yet to catch up.
Wish i had a quid for every time i've had to cite the rr act or the unchr to every plank that claims being anti muslim isn't being 'racist'

Wish i had a quid for every time i've had to cite the rr act or the unchr to every plank that claims being anti muslim isn't being 'racist'
It is the Equality Act 2010 which subsumed or replaced the previous legislation:

9Race​

(1)Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—

(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;

(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.

(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.

(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

(5)A Minister of the Crown F1...—

(a)[F2must by order] amend this section so as to provide for caste to be an aspect of race;

(b)[F3may by order] amend this Act so as to provide for an exception to a provision of this Act to apply, or not to apply, to caste or to apply, or not to apply, to caste in specified circumstances.

(6)The power under section 207(4)(b), in its application to subsection (5), includes power to amend this Act.

wouldnt you think if you took 100 practicing Catholics and 100 practicing Muslims the outcome of how many were anti the other would be very similar ? The racism and prejudice is from both sides surely

I just used catholics as an example

It is the Equality Act 2010 which subsumed or replaced the previous legislation:

9Race​

(1)Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—

(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;

(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.

(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person's racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.

(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

(5)A Minister of the Crown F1...—

(a)[F2must by order] amend this section so as to provide for caste to be an aspect of race;

(b)[F3may by order] amend this Act so as to provide for an exception to a provision of this Act to apply, or not to apply, to caste or to apply, or not to apply, to caste in specified circumstances.

(6)The power under section 207(4)(b), in its application to subsection (5), includes power to amend this Act.
That's what I thought.

Anyone who doesn`t believe that Yorkshire (not limited to the County Cricket Club) has a racism problem never went to Elland Road in the 70s and 80s. It`s an area of Britain that hasn`t moved on.
Seems a bit strange using a period of 40-50 years ago to show that a place hasn't moved on and using a football ground to be representative of a whole county isn't really reasonable either. Lots of football grounds had similar issues in the 70s and 80s.

No doubt there are still some racism issues in parts of Yorkshire, just like there are in other parts of the country. On the whole though, I'd say it is a lot better now than in the 70s and 80s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.