Ferran Torres | Signs for Barcelona (see main forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barcelona can tap up our player go to there media and print say what ever bullshit they want but bottom line they don’t have 2 pennies to rub together so the lad be going nowhere!

They did the same with Garcia promising the world first team football big wages! Difference is Garcia had 6 months left on his contract Ferran has 3 an half years! Surely we won’t accommodate them in anyway whatsoever unless they pay what we want €70m

I expect City won't do that because it sends a signal to all other players and clubs that if they just ask to leave they will get big discounts on transfers. It's not just about an isolated deal then but about principles, which is bigger picture and long term.

Example: it was when Garcia mouthed off in public that he wasn't ever signing a contract that City stopped negotiating his transfer and held him to his contract.

Torres, by contrast, appears to have privately asked in a respectful way. Leaks all coming from Barcelona side, standard. We'll see if he ever does what Garcia did but if he wants the move it would be a bad idea. It would change the equation for City by making it about principles again.
Why all of a sudden would we now take that stand? We haven't with any of our most recent transfers. Its well known we rarely turn a profit on most first team players and have let plenty of players go who just wanted to leave and we definitely didn't get value for them. We have been very fortunate that most of our squad stays together, if Torres goes he is probably the only one in the last decade along with Sane who we would be frustrated with losing.

The principles are that City don't invest in people who don't want to be here. So if Torres wants out we will facilitate a move if a transfer fee comes. I am not suggesting he's going to go for £10m but if the rumours are true at 40+ then there is a deal to be made there I think.

I maintain that not selling Garcia was ridiculous, he was hopeless and cost us points last year. If in fact no offer from Barca ever came then not much we could do but if the rumours were true then we fucked up imo.

I remember going back and forth on here with a few people who suggested it was some sort of power play and proof City werent going to be bullied. Couldn't disagree more, that's not good business.

Teams (including us no doubt) go to clubs once they get the go ahead from a player’s camp - just because Barca are doing it to Torres shouldn’t make it some new stream of disbelief.

Apparently they’re offering us fringe players because they can’t stump up the cash. Who saw that one coming?! I hope we don’t settle for somebody because they’re on a plate, can’t see that happening with Pep luckily.

Why all of a sudden would we now take that stand? We haven't with any of our most recent transfers. Its well known we rarely turn a profit on most first team players and have let plenty of players go who just wanted to leave and we definitely didn't get value for them. We have been very fortunate that most of our squad stays together, if Torres goes he is probably the only one in the last decade along with Sane who we would be frustrated with losing.

The principles are that City don't invest in people who don't want to be here. So if Torres wants out we will facilitate a move if a transfer fee comes. I am not suggesting he's going to go for £10m but if the rumours are true at 40+ then there is a deal to be made there I think.

I maintain that not selling Garcia was ridiculous, he was hopeless and cost us points last year. If in fact no offer from Barca ever came then not much we could do but if the rumours were true then we fucked up imo.

I remember going back and forth on here with a few people who suggested it was some sort of power play and proof City werent going to be bullied. Couldn't disagree more, that's not good business.

There's a big contradiction in your thinking here. You say if a deal is there to be made that City will definitely do it and if they don't it's a sudden change in approach.

But also you say that there WAS a deal to be made on Garcia and they didn't do it. So ... not a sudden a change then is it?

It only appears to be all of a sudden to you tbh. They held out with Garcia to send a message. They have a long term strategy to not be pushed around by anyone. This is why I think they will also hold out with Torres unless they get fair value.

You're thinking about each deal only in isolation. *That* is not good business because everyone watching will see that if you only have a below value offer on the table, you take it. Guess what's gonna happen in future across all your transfer deals if you do that. If you accept bottom of the barrell offers then you get bottom of the barrell results.

There's a big contradiction in your thinking here. You say if a deal is there to be made that City will definitely do it and if they don't it's a sudden change in approach.

But also you say that there WAS a deal to be made on Garcia and they didn't do it. So ... not a sudden a change then is it?

It only appears to be all of a sudden to you tbh. They held out with Garcia to send a message. They have a long term strategy to not be pushed around by anyone. This is why I think they will also hold out with Torres unless they get fair value.

You're thinking about each deal only in isolation. *That* is not good business because everyone watching will see that if you only have a below value offer on the table, you take it. Guess what's gonna happen in future across all your transfer deals if you do that. If you accept bottom of the barrell offers then you get bottom of the barrell results.
A deal for Torres and Garcia is very different, Garcia had a few months left on his contract. We have Torres tied down.

If Torres says he wants to leave and Barca have money on the table the likelihood is that we do a deal I reckon. we aren't in the business of keeping people who don't want to be here.

Holding out and playing someone who cost us results taught nobody anything and sent no messages, except that Garcia is shite.

As I said, you say fair value but that is a completely mythical figure. City might think a 100% profit is fair but if he sold for 40m, people on here would kick off.

We have consistently sold our players under this supposed "fair value" though so we haven't taught anyone anything. When we sold Angelino you could say it was "bottom of the barrel offer" as he's probably worth double what Leipzig paid. I can't remember the last first team player we sold I thought we got a particularly good price for, Brahim at 15m?

What we have learnt though is that battling over a few million doesn't do anyone any favours and wastes time and It's hardly held us back so far.

For the record I don't think Torres will go but I also won't be arsed if City sell him for 40m and City have also proven they aren't going to hold a player to some mythical figure like other clubs do.

Do Dortmund want any of the players on the list, just ship em out again in the same window direct for someone :)

A deal for Torres and Garcia is very different, Garcia had a few months left on his contract. We have Torres tied down.

If Torres says he wants to leave and Barca have money on the table the likelihood is that we do a deal I reckon. we aren't in the business of keeping people who don't want to be here.

Holding out and playing someone who cost us results taught nobody anything and sent no messages, except that Garcia is shite.

As I said, you say fair value but that is a completely mythical figure. City might think a 100% profit is fair but if he sold for 40m, people on here would kick off.

We have consistently sold our players under this supposed "fair value" though so we haven't taught anyone anything. When we sold Angelino you could say it was "bottom of the barrel offer" as he's probably worth double what Leipzig paid. I can't remember the last first team player we sold I thought we got a particularly good price for, Brahim at 15m?

What we have learnt though is that battling over a few million doesn't do anyone any favours and wastes time and It's hardly held us back so far.

For the record I don't think Torres will go but I also won't be arsed if City sell him for 40m and City have also proven they aren't going to hold a player to some mythical figure like other clubs do.
sorry dude you got it all wrong. don't you remember we put a 100 mil price tag and played him in the team even though he wanted to clearly leave. that alone dismisses your theory

What we paid for him it’s no loss if we say €70m or no deal to Ferran and his agent or he will stay here till his contract is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.