Ian Niven RIP

Knew him from being a kid he always managed to get us tickets the 81 Cup final at short notice being one.
He worked at one time for Johnson and Nephew Ironworks on Grey Mare Lane. Difficult to say for sure but it must have been on the East Stand car parks location. Real blue family, his daughter died of cancer a few years back but l think his son still carries on the blue tradition.

I didn't know him but certainly knew of him. I was just reading Andy Buckley's 'Blue Moon Rising' a few days ago, which covers the end of the Swales era and Lee takeover and talked about him.

He was a huge Blue, born in Moss Side and, as someone said, was a buyer for a metalworking company. I believe they were a wire manufacturer.

He fell out with the landlord of his local in Denton, so bought the Fletchers Arms to compete with him. He became a City director and was one of Swales' loyal lieutenants for the most part but he played a crucial role in Swales' eventual downfall. He was instrumental in setting up the Junior Blues, which ensured we had a hardcore of young supporters through the lean years. I wish the current management had his insight.

When Franny was trying to oust Swales, PJS's last trick was to stand down as chairman and appoint Mike McDonald, another City-supporting businessman, in his place. He had a meeting at his house at which six other directors were present, with two missing.

He expected to get backing for McDonald's appointment as he thought Freddie Pye, Chris Muir & Niven would automatically support him. But Niven had been talking to Colin Barlow and decided Swales' time was up. So he (and three others) voted against, leaving Swales in the minority. McDonald wouldn't come unless the board were unanimous so withdrew, leaving Swales with no option but to sell to Franny.

RIP Ian, a crucial figure in our boardroom and history, and condolences to the family.

Last edited:
I didn't know him but certainly knew of him. I was just reading Andy Buckley's 'Blue Moon Rising' a few days ago, which covers the end of the Swales era and Lee takeover and talked about him.

He was a huge Blue, born in Moss Side and, as someone said, was a buyer for a metalworking company. I believe they were a wire manufacturer.

He fell out with the landlord of his local in Denton, so bought the Fletchers Arms to compete with him. He became a City director and was one of Swales' loyal lieutenants for the most part but he played a crucial role in Swales' eventual downfall. He was instrumental in setting up the Junior Blues, which ensured we had a hardcore of young supporters through the lean years. I wish the current management had his insight.

When Franny was trying to oust Swales, PJS's last trick was to stand down as chairman and appoint Mike McDonald, another City-supporting businessman, in his place. He had a meeting at his house at which six other directors were present, with two missing.

He expected to get backing for McDonald's appointment as he thought Freddie Pyle, Chris Muir & Niven would automatically support him. But Niven had been talking to Colin Barlow and decided Swales' time was up. So he (and three others) voted against, leaving Swales in the minority. McDonald wouldn't come unless the board were unanimous so withdrew, leaving Swales with no option but to sell to Franny.

RIP Ian, a crucial figure in our boardroom and history, and condolences to the family.

Great informative post that Colin

Meet him a few times at AGMs always had a chat as his favourite subject was Manchester City. The Fletchers Arms was dedicated to City the Mercer Allison team used it as a drinking hole and celebrated many triumphs there Ian became a mate of a Big Malc and that led to the battle for City when Mal encouraged Ian to find an investor, step forward Joe Smith and battle commenced the result of this was a compromise which included Swales stepping in as a neutral and we know what happened next. I asked Ian about Swales and his City history, it started when he got the position on the board he said.
A club legend only every did his best for City may he be reunited with the other departed legends I glad he got to see the rebirth of his beloved blues RiP Ian Niven forever blue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.