Running thread

How are we all doing for fitness at the moment?

After being struck down with a series of illnesses (I swear I had about three different viruses all at once for about three weeks!), getting fat and working long hours at a new job, the most I can run seems to be about 4 miles at the moment! It's very frustrating but I'm taking a step back and just accepting that it will be a gradual process to get back to good fitness.
You'll be back to normal soon enough mate, just have to keep chipping away at the fitness.
Im pretty much in the same boat, I was doing ok before I got covid and had to stay in a bedroom for ten days, have struggled a bit this week did a 10k the day I was allowed out of isolation, that was tough, could really feel my lungs whilst running and Ive never felt that before, even when I was a 40 a day smoker. Didnt do my recovery any good by drinking far too much ipa after the run either.
Ive been trying slow 3 milers everyday since wednesday and can feel my fitness coming back a little but its still a lot harder than it should be, and fuck me does 3 miles seem to take forever when going slow!! But my heart rate is slowly coming down on the runs so Im hoping Im going in the right direction.
Seems to be a few on this thread struggling at the minute, the dark mornings/nights dont really help, but I keep reminding myself its so much better running at this time of year as opposed to a hot summer, its just getting out of the door and doing it thats the hardest bit.
Im sure everyone will be out smashing in the miles soon enough, if not at least theres loads of football to watch

Haven't posted on here for a while. I can certainly empathise with some of you and your ailments/struggles. Mine is work related - knackered by the time I get home so have to force myself to get out at the crack of dawn or I won't get out at all.

I'm a HM away from 1,000 km for the year having done 11 of 12 so far. It's really caught up with me this last month or so. Everything below the waist feels tight and I dread to think what I'd be like if I stopped doing yoga a few times a week.

It's hard but keep at it. I've taken a lot of inspiration from this thread as my running buddy has been crocked for the majority of the year. So thank you all.

I only started 4 years ago…. Wish I’d been doing it in my 20’s.. 30’s or 40’s lol.

Funny thing Is Inchy I have sort of always ran but more for fitness, keeping fit for football than the actual enjoyment I get from running in new places, being out in nature, the pleasure I get from the isolation and the camaraderie racing events bring. Such a waste of so many years.

Had a fantastic run 15 mile run yesterday. Set off from Corfe Castle and as the military were not firing, ran through the Lulworth military ranges along the tops, parallel with the stunning Jurassic coast. Sun was out for the first half but then was bitterly cold on the return leg. Managed over 700 metres of ascent so legs were feeling it this morning. 1F60014A-2501-4241-9C6A-FD896D333457.jpegEABD19D6-C8B7-4490-AF1A-083A0289C48F.jpeg68C03757-370A-4DC5-9EB2-C8432D20F552.jpeg2F4B85EC-19ED-4CC3-B245-63E0658192D5.jpeg

Had a fantastic run 15 mile run yesterday. Set off from Corfe Castle and as the military were not firing, ran through the Lulworth military ranges along the tops, parallel with the stunning Jurassic coast. Sun was out for the first half but then was bitterly cold on the return leg. Managed over 700 metres of ascent so legs were feeling it this morning. View attachment 31219View attachment 31220View attachment 31221View attachment 31222
Wow. I did 500m of ascent a couple of years ago, around Tobermory, Mull. It was very tough, so I can appreciate how difficult your run must have been. But the views surely compensated. Well done.

Wow. I did 500m of ascent a couple of years ago, around Tobermory, Mull. It was very tough, so I can appreciate how difficult your run must have been. But the views surely compensated. Well done.

Yes it was tough but felt great getting a challenging run back under the belt as, like others, I have suffered a bit of a post Marathon lull.

Hope you get back to normal in the New Year with your Iron levels. I used to take Feroglobin as I often suffered dramatic drops in energy and recurring mouth ulcers. Its only anecdotal but I have heard of a quite a few regular runners who suffer iron deficiencies.

Edit: just read a runners world article on how it effects endurance runners.

Last edited:
I only started 4 years ago…. Wish I’d been doing it in my 20’s.. 30’s or 40’s lol.
I ran all the way through my 20s,30s,and 40s...enjoyed it but the main thing was to keep up stamina for 11 a side ..and then 5 a side footy.

Ground to a virtual halt now,which has affected my footy and my 2nd love Tennis but keep reading this thread hoping to bounce back into proper training...I do a lot of walking,out in nature..but I know I should be running.
Frustrating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.